• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Some Advice - EBay Auction I Won Is Looking Like A Scam
4 4

40 posts in this topic

This particular Ebay scam has been going on for weeks. The person or people behind it use the same big books as bait, same photos, new accounts with zero feedback, and usually try to direct people to sites off ebay for direct sales at a discount. You see it a lot with EoSV 2 Land Variant and books like that. I started off reporting them when they popped up, but Ebay only took some of the bad ads down and eventually I gave up since it was turning in to work for me. Besides, Ebay should find a way to be more vigilant to prevent stuff like this to begin with. 

Sorry you got roped in to it, and I am happy to hear you are getting your cash back. I am sure insurance companies backing paypal and credit cards are the ones losing cash on this in the long run. 

Edited by Stefan_W

Yep, same scam happens using Australian locations too. I've seen it a couple of times. 

While scanning my phone on Friday when I got caught up in this one, I also noticed a few other auctions for big key books with prices that seemed too appetizing.  Looking at them now, they have the same red flags (big key books, free shipping, external website, zero feedback).

These look fishy as well:

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/alvinrece-453/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/313907679515?hash=item49165b111b:g:WgcAAOSwzJhiKUa3

On 3/14/2022 at 9:33 PM, LudaToke said:

While scanning my phone on Friday when I got caught up in this one, I also noticed a few other auctions for big key books with prices that seemed too appetizing.  Looking at them now, they have the same red flags (big key books, free shipping, external website, zero feedback).

I reported both links to eBay

This is almost 100% a scam. However, you don't have anything to worry about. Paypal, your credit card company, and Ebay all have protections in place. If you buy something on Ebay and don't get what you paid for they refund your money. I've bought a thousand things on Ebay and only had issues a few times, but Ebay handled it quickly and simply. Now if you would have bought it through that link outside of Ebay you may have something to worry about.

https://pages.ebay.com/ebay-money-back-guarantee/

On 3/14/2022 at 11:38 PM, Stefan_W said:

This particular Ebay scam has been going on for weeks. The person or people behind it use the same big books as bait, same photos, new accounts with zero feedback, and usually try to direct people to sites off ebay for direct sales at a discount. You see it a lot with EoSV 2 Land Variant and books like that. I started off reporting them when they popped up, but Ebay only took some of the bad ads down and eventually I gave up since it was turning in to work for me. Besides, Ebay should find a way to be more vigilant to prevent stuff like this to begin with. 

Sorry you got roped in to it, and I am happy to hear you are getting your cash back. I am sure insurance companies backing paypal and credit cards are the ones losing cash on this in the long run. 

I feel like I reported like 20 of these myself. They pop up with new accounts daily, and I also just got tired of it.

I'm pretty sure they are banking on a buyer using the outside link to purchase it for cheaper than expecting the Ebay purchases to go through.

On 3/15/2022 at 12:33 AM, LudaToke said:

As a future pointer, and as your user name may or may not point to, it's an excellent idea to refrain from:  knee jerk; thrill; show off; drunk; and/or stoned bidding...:rulez:

On 3/15/2022 at 11:19 AM, rexinnih said:

Yeah, the Big$$ book and 0 feedback is always a bit of a turnoff for me. Per above looks like no longer on Ebay so that should help with any issues in stopping the payment, etc. with Ebay. Bummer to have to go through the extra steps. 

They'll be back again with a new user name and more scams...

On 3/16/2022 at 4:40 PM, LudaToke said:

I am patiently waiting for Friday to finish off the process with Ebay.

On the other hand, the packaged has left its original destination and is now in Zheng Zhou, China hm

Not really a package I’d want to receive right now 

This came to a full resolution this morning and I did confirm from Ebay that my money will be refunded which is great.

Having said they, they ultimately did "send" a package or produced a fake tracking number.  Multiple tracking entries came up showing that something was apparently moving from China to Canada.  The tracking entries look fishy as can be seen below.  The tracking shows the package went from China to Alaska and then back to China, then to South Korea and then on to the US and finally to a Canadian postal code that isn't mine (L5B).  It performed this entire journey in a matter of 4 days as well.  On top of that the tracking shows the duration of the journey from Alaska and then back to China was 1 hour and 18 minutes.  The package was also able to travel from Korea to the US in 1 hour and 35 minutes.  My guess is that you can fake tracking numbers?

Either way I am glad this is resolved.  Thanks for the input and feedback.  Huge lesson learned for me.

• Mar 18, 2022
  • 12:43pm
  • Delivered
  • MISSISSAUGA, L5B
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 9:08am
  • Out For Delivery
  • Caledon, ON
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 8:52am
  • Arrived at Facility
  • Caledon, ON
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 8:20am
  • Departed from Facility
  • Mississauga, ON
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 7:54am
  • Import Scan
  • Mississauga, ON
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 6:15am
  • Arrived at Facility
  • Mississauga, ON
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 5:50am
  • Your package is pending release from a non-UPS broker. Contact the non-UPS broker for additional information.
  •  
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 4:34am
  • Departed from Facility
  • Louisville, KY
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 1:45am
  • Arrived at Facility
  • Louisville, KY
  • Mar 18, 2022
  • 12:10am
  • Departed from Facility
  • Incheon
  • Mar 17, 2022
  • 7:31pm
  • Arrived at Facility
  • Incheon
  • Mar 17, 2022
  • 5:30pm
  • Departed from Facility
  • ZhengZhou
  • Mar 17, 2022
  • 4:12pm
  • Departed from Facility
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Mar 17, 2022
  • 3:31pm
  • Departed from Facility
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Mar 17, 2022
  • 1:53pm
  • Arrived at Facility
  • Anchorage, AK
  • Mar 15, 2022
  • 5:40pm
  • Arrived at Facility
  • ZhengZhou
  • Mar 14, 2022
  • 2:30pm
  • Departed from Facility
  • EPZ
  • Mar 14, 2022
  • 10:24am
  • Origin Scan
  • EPZ
  • Mar 14, 2022
  • 9:49am
  • Shipper created a label, UPS has not received the package yet.
  •  
  • Mar 14, 2022
  • 2:09pm
  • Tracking number provided

On 3/18/2022 at 2:19 PM, faster friends said:

It will be a cheap item. something similar happened to me. I received a pair of hot mitts.

I won't ever know as it was delivered to a different postal code. It is better off that way, I wasn't exactly looking forward to having that package land at my door or wanting to open it.

On 3/18/2022 at 2:21 PM, LudaToke said:

It is better off that way, I wasn't exactly looking forward to having that package land at my door or wanting to open it.

It'll be one of those glitter stink bomb things.