• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy Cow - Crazy Turnaround
2 2

29 posts in this topic

This happened with a lucky few's orders last November. People talked about it here and on FB.  Calls to CGC were reported as being explained as "trying something new" to "routed to new facility" and maybe someone mentioned "golden ticket". But IDK if that was a CGC response or what some submitters were calling it. 

Obviously it is going on again, as I had a couple of submissions for clients get done way faster than expected. While others sit the length of time listed under CGC's published TAT's.  

It is a great thing for those that score it.  Otherwise it's a bad thing for everyone else that waits the listed amount of time. Because it is unquestionably unfair to the great majority. 

Edited by Tony S

I had an order of 25 turn in a week's time about 18 months ago, Modern tier, no pressing, no Fast Track.  It was in Grading the day after received, skipped "Scheduled".  That was all Thor 337, 338 and 339, about evenly divided. 

We had a couple of holder problems with that group, so we had to call to get those fixed.  The Customer Service person noticed the quick turn and said "Whoa, that was a mistake.  Lucky you."

On 3/14/2022 at 11:49 PM, Tony S said:

It is a great thing for those that score it.  Otherwise it's a bad thing for everyone else that waits the listed amount of time. Because it is unquestionably unfair to the great majority. 

I hear that, on both accounts.

Spoiler

Yeah, it happened to me a couple times last November and another set just came back today that was quicker than the usual few months. 

My thoughts are they are receiving too many boxes and preventing them from getting to the older boxes. So they are moving out some of the newer stuff for access. Much like how a hoarder has to move some to get to their older crappier stuff.

Edited by Robert_L

On 3/15/2022 at 12:26 AM, Axe Elf said:

Life isn't fair.  Enjoy it when it's your turn.  Move on when it's not.

Life isn't fair, that's true. But CGC isn't life. It's a business.  There is no reason they cannot - nor should not - strive to have a "first in first out" standard - based on tiers and stated TAT - for their customers. 

On 3/15/2022 at 8:03 AM, zzutak said:

I'm more impressed by the fact that we've now reached the point where comics worth $10~20 are being slabbed.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

x1.jpg.9af5b93a26780ce0189d7345ab5b7a51.jpg

Most of the books I submit are for other people.  Some of my clients choose to vastly understate the value of their books.  Most common are the various moderns that are $10-$20 raw and $200+ in professionally graded and encapsulated 9.8. But a few just greatly understate the value because.....whatever. It can save a few bucks on shipping. 

On 3/16/2022 at 3:13 AM, Tony S said:

Most common are the various moderns that are $10-$20 raw and $200+ in professionally graded and encapsulated 9.8. But a few just greatly understate the value because.....whatever. It can save a few bucks on shipping. 

Exactly.

On 3/16/2022 at 2:08 AM, Tony S said:

Life isn't fair, that's true. But CGC isn't life. It's a business.

I don't know if Venn diagrams would help, but all businesses exist as a subset of life--a thing that isn't fair.Venn.thumb.png.06d1ef91d826c6db3153c08f16c61ee2.png

This is .  I sent in a bunch of comics over 7 months ago. For some reason they split it into two groups.  I received te first group 2 months ago (5 months after I sent them in). The second group is STILL waiting to be graded. I know they are really backed up but this is me off.

Regarding grading, I had a few from that first shipment that were EASILY graded much lower that they should have been. There is nothing in the graders notes to explain this.  Have people taken graded comics, cracked them open and resubmitted tem to see a big difference in grading? I really would not be shocked if this were the case. I have been using CGC for years but the quality of the grading seems to have really deteriorated.  Is it just me?