• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Key To Return
1 1

52 posts in this topic

On 3/22/2022 at 2:49 PM, PopKulture said:

But, seriously, it should be interesting what properties they can resurrect successfully.  hm

On 3/22/2022 at 4:04 PM, FormerReader said:

Good news!  I hope they are able to release new series for Magnus, Turok, and Solar.

Well, since these 3 properties might already have their rights owned by other companies, I would love to see this series here revived:  :luhv:  :wishluck:

m.a1.59a.jpg

Just took a look at the goldkeycomics.com site and read the comic creator search requirements, and love the search criteria:  “Many of the classic genres are underrepresented in the comic market today, so send us strange war, acid western, space opera, kid’s adventure, randy romance, funny animal, daring drama and anything bizarre, fun and creative. Show us what you got!”

Sounds like M.A.R.S. Patrol would fit the mold, though not sure how much they’re looking to license old content versus creating new.  Still, I like the search criteria and look forward to seeing what comes next.

On 3/24/2022 at 8:56 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, since these 3 properties might already have their rights owned by other companies, I would love to see this series here revived:  :luhv:  :wishluck:

m.a1.59a.jpg

Just thinking about that title.

Wally Wood art.

I wonder if they'd do licensed comics? I'd love some more Mortal Kombat Comics but that no comes from the MK team, could Gold Key work with them to arrange something? Probably not because they're owned by DC ala Warner Bros, but hey, why not try? Voltron, Lion and Vehicle, this one will be controversial but see if the 'owner' of Terrific Comics would licence Youngblood cheap and put the former team back on (sounds funny but it was a GREAT book, not at all what you're thinking of). 

On 3/25/2022 at 5:08 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Just thinking about that title.

Wally Wood art.

Besides the beautiful Wally Wood art in the first few issues, with the popularity of si-fi related TV shows nowadays, I always though this M.A.R.S. Patrol storyline would have made for a fantastic TV series on one of the independent networks or streaming services that seems to be so prevalent right now.  hm  :wishluck:

Wow, almost a year since the last post... I didn't want to come on here and talk about all of the amazing plans we had until we had something tangible to announce.  It's been a wild ride getting to this point.  Grab me at a con and I'll share some crazy stories, from bar hopping at 1:00am in San Diego with amazing creators to getting lost in Palm Springs driving Sara Karloff around town.  We circled the globe and looked in the shadows, and there will be more announcements soon. But now we are, ready to announce...

GOLD KEY COMICS TO PUBLISH FIRST NEW TITLE IN NEARLY 40 YEARS  

Gold Key Entertainment, LLC, in partnership with the Boris Karloff Estate, announces its first title – “Boris Karloff’s Gold Key Mysteries.” Kickstarter campaign to launch MARCH 28, 2023

Boris Karloff’s Gold Key Mysteries is coming!  The new series blends the feel of the classic horror anthology with a modern, ongoing narrative in a way that is sure to excite fans new and old.  To reward early supporters, Gold Key has created a unique, early special edition of issue one available through Kickstarter. This crowdfunding campaign is scheduled for pre-launch on March 16, 2023 and will go live on March 28, 2023. The special edition offers a one of a kind reading experience peeling back the layers of the creative process to give readers a behind the scenes look into the creative process.  This high-quality printing will be akin to that of an artist’s edition. With a hardcover printed exclusively for backers of the Kickstarter campaign, the special edition is sure to be highly desired among fans and collectors.

Wrapped inside a beautiful cover by Johnny Dombrowski, issue one of Boris Karloff’s Gold Key Mysteries contains three original stories from talented creators including Michael W Conrad, Steve Orlando, Artyom Trakanov, Kelly Williams, Jok, Craig Hurd-Mckenny, Sergey Nazarov, and Kyle Arends.  Each issue of this ongoing series will contain complete stories and a continuing narrative, ensuring a satisfying reading experience while building the foundations of a multi-issue storyline to be carried forth in subsequent issues. 

Joining Gold Key Comics in its return as a reenergized, updated publisher, is an old friend and one of the biggest names in horror, Boris Karloff. Gold Key Comics originally published nearly 100 issues of the series, Boris Karloff Tales of Mystery, between 1964-1980. This Spring, these two icons return to comics.  We invite all fans of Gold Key Comics and Boris Karloff to participate in the inaugural publication by supporting the Boris Karloff’s Gold Key Mysteries Kickstarter on March 28. Do not miss out on the exclusive special edition of the very first issue to be published by the new Gold Key Entertainment.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goldkeycomics/gold-key-comics-and-boris-karloff

https://goldkeycomics.com/

Instagram - @gold_key_comics

Gold Key Comics is

Chief Communication Officer Adam Brooks                       

Editor in Chief Michael Dynes

Chief Creative Director Arnold Guerrero       

The fine print:

- We don't own any of the original Gold Key content.  We are hoping to have a conversation with the rights holders as soon as reasonably possible.  But until then, the content will be all new and all original. 

- We have had difficulty finding a printer that can print on newsprint at a quality that we find acceptable and at a price that would make the final product competitive to other publishers.  We are still looking but we may not be able to use newsprint.  

Feel free to ask any other questions.  I still have a day job so I may not be able to respond regularly but I will respond as soon as possible.

Super glad to see that Gold key is going to be back after some 40 long long years.  :applause:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

Definitely much safer to start with a recognized name like Boris Karloff to kick off your relaunch.  (thumbsu

As per my previous post just prior to yours, any chance for a M.A.R.S. Patrol relaunch further down the line although probably a rights issue:  :wishluck:

On 3/25/2022 at 10:23 AM, lou_fine said:

Besides the beautiful Wally Wood art in the first few issues, with the popularity of si-fi related TV shows nowadays, I always though this M.A.R.S. Patrol storyline would have made for a fantastic TV series on one of the independent networks or streaming services that seems to be so prevalent right now.  hm  :wishluck:

The Kickstarter is winding down.  We’ve hit our goal so Gold Key will return.  There’s still time to grab some rewards.  If funds are tight, jump on there and check out the art.  Our buddy Skinner made a killer Blacklight poster featuring Boris Karloff for us. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/goldkeycomics/gold-key-comics-and-boris-karloff

On 4/20/2023 at 10:27 PM, Mike's Rack said:

The Kickstarter is winding down.  We’ve hit our goal so Gold Key will return.  There’s still time to grab some rewards.  If funds are tight, jump on there and check out the art.  Our buddy Skinner made a killer Blacklight poster featuring Boris Karloff for us. 

Very cool.