• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Forum - Toxic Environment?
8 8

382 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2022 at 8:44 PM, CGC Mike said:

To be honest, I have allowed a lot more conversations to take place, that would have surely been stopped with warnings attached, prior to me taking on a position with CGC.  

That's because there was a long stretch of time (three years(?) four(?)) where moderation was extremely heavy-handed, arbitrary, no one knew what was going on, and there were people who skated around the rules constantly while the rules were absolutely not applied uniformly. I received a week's suspension for TALKING ABOUT MY JOB.

Moderation here was a joke and it took @MrBedrockgoing ballistic for people in leadership to understand that the moderation was driving users away from this platform.

I don't understand why you're interjecting into this thread. Moderators should be like referees. Good ones you never notice.

On 3/31/2022 at 8:36 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So when the title says toxic environment are we referring to toxic as in vat of chemicals that created the joker, or are we referring to upsetting some flower smoking neck beard with a man bun because we used the wrong pronoun? 

I hope it's the first one being a comic chat board and but from what I've seen so far . . . 

On 3/31/2022 at 11:45 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I don't understand why you're interjecting into this thread. Moderators should be like referees. Good ones you never notice.

On 3/31/2022 at 5:33 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Nowadays the mods jump in way too early(possibly because of the button humpers), and discussions/arguments get cut short.   By not allowing them to go their natural course & ultimately flame out, these locked threads actually end up breeding further resentment & hostility between members.

I think the problem is that some people do not let them "flame out" anymore. When I'm done in a thread, I move on. Clearly, there are others that do not follow this mindset.

On 3/31/2022 at 9:30 PM, CGC Mike said:

Since I took over, I have issued a very small percentage of the warnings via the point system, compared to the way is was.  My reason for doing this is, I felt that it caused a lot of revenge reporting, and it left a sour taste in people's mouth.  Instead, I have let a lot more things slide.  I have made postings in threads, and I have also removed some things without issuing warnings.  My feeling was, that many would see their posts missing and possible refrain from reposting something similar next time.  I have also created a thread for off topic posts, to cut down on thread derailment.  I had a ban from topic installed to stop people from posting in a specific thread, rather than restrict their postings from the entire forum.  I also started asking people to add missing rules in their FS thread, instead of pulling it and issuing a warning. The old admin stopped moderating around the mid to the end of September.  Here's graph for reports.  I think we are headed in the right direction.

image.png

Do you want a gold star?

Spoiler

:jokealert:

• Administrator
On 3/31/2022 at 11:45 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Actually, my job here is much more than a moderator.  I spend about 10% of my time with moderation issues.  The rest of my time, I spend helping customers with a variety of issues.  I am also supposed to interact with the members.  

CGC would also like to introduce its new CGC Chat Boards Community Liaison, Michael Greenwood! Many members already know Michael, a collector with years of experience

— both in comics and the CGC Chat Boards. Michael’s involvement and other members of the CGC team will strengthen CGC’s interaction and transparency with collectors and dealers. We feel Michael is a great fit for his role in this new endeavor, and we expect to soon supplement his efforts with other help from CGC employees.

li·ai·son
/ˈlēəˌzän,lēˈāzän/
  1. communication or cooperation which facilitates a close working relationship between people or organizations.

On 4/1/2022 at 9:25 AM, Crops068 said:

Sure am glad I don't have a man bun, but what you got against my neck beard and flower smoking? HUH????? lol

I cannot disagree more.  @CGC Mike's interactions have been stellar, to me at least.  Would you rather a sheriff be a member of the town or just an iron fist when something goes wrong?

He is a member of the community and is human like the rest of us.

I would rather we not have a sheriff. I would rather we had a moderator like other message boards where you don't see them at all.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:35 AM, FlyingDonut said:

I would rather we not have a sheriff. I would rather we had a moderator like other message boards where you don't see them at all.

You understand they are one and the same, right?  His role is to serve through communication and protect through harboring cooperation. (shrug)

On 4/1/2022 at 8:37 AM, FlyingDonut said:

No he isn't. He's an Administrator and a moderator.

So that makes him less of a person? hm