• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Church/MH Superman 1 record sale in January
7 7

406 posts in this topic

On 4/14/2022 at 1:48 AM, sfcityduck said:

Not sure what the problems are.

Are the buyer and seller really unknown (I'm sure some folks posting here know who both sides of the transaction are)?  Or was it Bechala?  Buyer anonymity is a given in most every auction. 

I hope at least one person here knows who both sides of the transaction are lol

On 4/14/2022 at 12:34 PM, rob_react said:

BTW, I redid my estimates for the top 20 or so books in the hobby after the Amazing Fantasy 15 sale and looking at it now everything has double or tripled in the past 6 months. I can't keep up. 

Even back then, the $20,000,000 figure was blown out of the water (in my mind)

Mile High/Edgar Church Copy of Action #1

Estimated Value: $10,000,000

Allentown Copy of Detective Comics #27

Estimated Value: $9,000,000

Best Existing Superman #1

Estimated Value: $6,000,000

Batman #1 Church Copy

Estimated Value: $3,000,000

I can't even. This was 6 months ago! 

On 4/14/2022 at 9:18 AM, rob_react said:

Nothing happens in the hobby that's more than one or two degrees of separation from someone you're potentially talking to on the boards.  

• Action Comics #1 by an unknown seller for $250.00 ($2,054.06) sometime in 1965
  • Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1 by an unknown seller for $6,300.00 ($28,655.70) sometime in 1976
  • Detective Comics #27 ('other high grade' copy) by an unknown seller for $101,000.00 ($180,899.04) sometime in 1993

I'm pretty sure we have the info for a buyer or seller for the above three where you are not including it.  The Action 1 info comes from an AP article which I believe names the buyer.  The MPFW info also comes from a news article (Overstreet's market report on 1976 says $6K).  I will check my info.  The D27, I thought you knew.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:44 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'm pretty sure we have the info for a buyer or seller for the above three where you are not including it.  The Action 1 info comes from an AP article which I believe names the buyer.  The MPFW info also comes from a news article (Overstreet's market report on 1976 says $6K).  I will check my info.  The D27, I thought you knew.

Thanks, I've got a long queue of updates to do after the past few months. Cleaning up the data at the same time is a winnah!

On 4/14/2022 at 11:25 AM, rob_react said:

The most valuable book I've seen in person. 

I thought you saw the Church Tec27 also? Or am I mis-remembering?

It's interesting that both the Church Tec27 and Superman 1, which were seen as "flawed" copies for so long are both CGC 8.5s now. Shows how amazing most of the mega-keys from the Church collection were/are that those two amazing books were frowned upon.

On 4/14/2022 at 7:50 AM, KCOComics said:

The one thing I would add to this is, it probably wasn't that big of a gamble to crack and press this book. 

I'm sure for a book of this stature Nelson and CGC reviewed it carefully to see what the realistic possibility was of a grade bump. Then it was given royal treatment all the way through the process. 

Of course there is some risk, but I imagine the buyer had a very good idea of where this would end up. 

There was no risk involved.  

Guessing, but also 99% sure, that there was a commitment it would never fall in grade and could only rise.  Then, it was secreted off to be impartially graded without the graders knowing whose book it was or would so belong to, AT ALL.  

On 4/14/2022 at 9:18 AM, rob_react said:

Also, if you're calling "fraud" on this at least have the decency (guts/awareness/whatever) to acknowledge that you're accusing SOMEONE POSTING IN THIS THREAD of being part of the fraud. It's not a good look.

I hope you are NOT actually referring to me in your comment here since you quoted my post in your response here?  ???

Especially since I generally agree with the point which you are trying to make here.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/14/2022 at 11:45 AM, Crowzilla said:

This guy believes Rozanski was involved in the recent sale of the Superman #1. Why is anyone listening to anything he has to say?

What do you mean because the proof is right here, as like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words:  lol

A Note from Charles Rozanski, on the Anniversary of Mile High Comics :  r/comicbooks

On 4/14/2022 at 3:38 PM, Transplant said:

There was no risk involved.  

Guessing, but also 99% sure, that there was a commitment it would never fall in grade and could only rise.  Then, it was secreted off to be impartially graded without the graders knowing whose book it was or would so belong to, AT ALL.  

No conspiracy theories! :devil:

On 4/14/2022 at 3:46 PM, lou_fine said:

I hope you are NOT actually referring to me in your comment here since you quoted my post in your response here?  ???

Especially since I generally agree with the point which you are trying to make here.  (thumbsu

No, I'm not referring to you at all. I was making a second, general point 👍