• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modest Gold That You Give A Lot Of Love To
5 5

76 posts in this topic

How cool and relatively under the radar.  A perfect cover response within a year of the formation of the Comics Code Authority in 1954, which incidentally followed a moral panic centered around a series of Senate hearings and the publication of psychiatrist Fredric Wertham's book Seduction of the Innocent!   Is it also the first ever (unintended) sketch variant cover?

image.thumb.jpeg.b7041b6b4607c0a1f29710a692a2dc70.jpeg

Edited by Pantodude

On 4/17/2022 at 5:02 PM, IngelsFan said:

I’ve only started discovering Spirit sections in the last year or so and these two are a couple of favorites.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have others but this one is my favorite. The Spirit in Damascus (Syria) of all places!  War-time intrigue in foreign countries was very popular at the time and reminds me of the film Casablanca which came out 2 years later. Must have been one helluva read for the kids. I love how the roofs of the buildings spell out Spirit.

spirit 1941a.jpg

The earliest Spirit in my Collection.

On 5/22/2022 at 1:15 PM, Ameri said:

I have others but this one is my favorite. The Spirit in Damascus (Syria) of all places!  War-time intrigue in foreign countries was very popular at the time and reminds me of the film Casablanca which came out 2 years later. Must have been one helluva read for the kids. I love how the roofs of the buildings spell out Spirit.

spirit 1941a.jpg

the spirit 7-14-40.jpg

On 5/22/2022 at 4:15 PM, Ameri said:

spirit 1941a.jpg

The Spirit in Damascus was reprinted in Jules Feiffer's classic book The Great Comic Book Heroes. This was my introduction to the Spirit and Eisner. Even at seven years old, I was captivated. 

On 5/26/2022 at 12:11 PM, Badger said:

You can still get this one in lower grades for under a grand. Got this years ago off of eBay for around $15 in eBay bucks.:x

5a7fd3a5f3115_Archies_Girls_Betty_and_Veronica_40(2013_02_0610_09_31UTC).thumb.jpg.0b8fd11952ac20f3ff7f04647b5f0880.jpg

I got my copies years ago too. I think Ricksneatstuff had a thread once and I was shocked to see the prices on lower and mid grades. I always liked the cover but never, ever thought it would explode the way it did. 

On 5/26/2022 at 12:16 PM, Badger said:

I kinda wonder if there was a warehouse find on this book. Its not a rare book by any means and even in this grade it is still sub-$1000. Robot, mad scientist, and bondage? Seems like a steal to me!

speed_43_CGC_Front.thumb.jpg.9fdd5ab4c07c9d6f58446976fcbfe498.jpg

This issue of Speed is Super Weird!  It's rare to see a child in bondage in comics.  And this cover it's fairly extreme.  It screams "cringe" .  With that said that's what makes it extremely unique as well.

Also, it's rare to see Pinks used on covers as seen here on this mad scientists "lab" and contraption.  Bizarre and Unique GA book!