• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering selling my Detective Comics # 1 8.5
4 4

90 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2022 at 9:26 AM, intlnews said:

It's nice to have something so rare, but not much enjoyment as I have to keep them in the bank vault due to insurance and value. I used to keep my AF 15 to view and admire, but now that has surpassed 40k in value, it's in the vault. Not bad for a 4.5k investment, but little joy since I really cannot display them.

When it comes to hanging on to anything extremely valuable, I always think about old Gollum. Look what happened to that poor little weasel...  :bigsmile:

That's not to say you shouldn't set yourself up well and take care of what you have, but if there's no fun in it, I personally don't see the point...   

On 4/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, intlnews said:

I've been mulling over selling my Detective Comics # 1 8.5 with an auction house. They're estimating an obscene amount for the comic.  I purchased it in the 90's for 10k, they are projecting over 100k for it. Normally, I wouldn't, but with comics so high, I am concerned that the price, over time, will just go back to 10k or below. They also want me to list my Superman # 1 @ 7.5, Batman #1 8.5, Spiderman # 1 @ 9.4 and Amazing Fantasy 15 @ 5,  but I am not too keen on selling those.

What would you guys suggest? I've been going back and forth in my mind for years on all of them.  I also have others, but these are probably the most coveted.  The insurance premiums have been going up as the values continue to climb too.

Wow you have a collection most would give anything to have. Hard to give advice to someone I should probably listen to. 

I wouldn't sell unless you are in some sort of hardship or see another opportunity to "invest" into something that would give the same kind of pleasure. I sold all my Avengers and FF collection for an epic long-range fishing trip out of San Diego and don't regret it a bit (now I probably could have gone on two trips). I think like a lot of others on here that the books I have in my collection give me a special kind of comfort and joy that only I understand. My wife of 26 years could care less. My son on the other hand loves it the way I do so it all goes to him. Anything I sell (usually duplicates) whether $1 or $10,000 goes to finding issues I am missing.

Good luck!

On 4/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, mytastebud said:

Wow you have a collection most would give anything to have. Hard to give advice to someone I should probably listen to. 

I wouldn't sell unless you are in some sort of hardship or see another opportunity to "invest" into something that would give the same kind of pleasure. I sold all my Avengers and FF collection for an epic long-range fishing trip out of San Diego and don't regret it a bit (now I probably could have gone on two trips). I think like a lot of others on here that the books I have in my collection give me a special kind of comfort and joy that only I understand. My wife of 26 years could care less. My son on the other hand loves it the way I do so it all goes to him. Anything I sell (usually duplicates) whether $1 or $10,000 goes to finding issues I am missing.

Good luck!

I hear ya. My family couldn't care less about them either. They just think there a comic book. I showed my wife my Batman 1 once after we saw the movie, she said, oh, you collect comic books.. I said what do you think this is worth? She said, it says .10. I said.. Hmm.. Try 60k. She flipped out. Anyways, it's nice to have them as a financial backup in case I need them, but to own them is just something I never thought I'd be able to do. It's like owning a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth rookie card; just worth more..  lol.

On 4/19/2022 at 7:01 PM, kav said:

if this is all documented you might have a case for breech of contract with financial loss.

Can't fight a mega corp like Heritage. Not Elon Musk..  However, if they f#cked me over on some games, I just don't trust them not to f@ck me over on my comics. Granted, I am sure Rick is a good guy, but that person who I dealt with, who's now a director I see, horrible. If they can promote garbage like that, forget it. I probably purchased 30k + from Heritage over the years. I wouldn't spend a dime with them. Fire that person, we'll talk. Yes, I know that won't happen. However, as I sell off my collection, an auction house may get the option.. I know one that will never get them.. Heritage. That's a big chunk of change off of the collection. I cannot support company who screws over a loyal (former) customer.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:27 PM, FFB said:

You should try to work a trade with Metropolis if you want to swap books for an Action 1.  If you sell the books and buy the Action 1, you get hit with capital gains taxes.  Not so with a trade.  Metropolis probably knows where a couple of lower grade copies are at all times.  That's what I would do in your shoes. 

Ordinarily I would not swap the Detective 1 for anything as that is one of my favorite books of all time and is exceedingly rare in any grade.  But if we are talking about it from an investment perspective, Action 1 will appreciate faster into the future.     

:idea:

On 4/19/2022 at 6:16 PM, intlnews said:

I hear ya. My family couldn't care less about them either. They just think there a comic book. I showed my wife my Batman 1 once after we saw the movie, she said, oh, you collect comic books.. I said what do you think this is worth? She said, it says .10. I said.. Hmm.. Try 60k. She flipped out. Anyways, it's nice to have them as a financial backup in case I need them, but to own them is just something I never thought I'd be able to do. It's like owning a Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth rookie card; just worth more..  lol.

Made me laugh. Thats awesome...

In the early 1990's, I was in my early 20's, I'd have girlfriends over. Even though I had 10 or so long boxes of comics stacked in my room, they would get ignored, but my Heather Thomas poster in her pink bikini would always get them talking.:signofftopic: sorry

If you sell I hope you do something fun with your well deserved $. Bucket List time

On 4/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, The Lions Den said:

When it comes to hanging on to anything extremely valuable, I always think about old Gollum. Look what happened to that poor little weasel...  :bigsmile:

That's not to say you shouldn't set yourself up well and take care of what you have, but if there's no fun in it, I personally don't see the point...   

I don't think a gang of short hairy people will throw him and the comics into a volcano. 

Sure, we can't entirely rule that out, but still... 

On 4/19/2022 at 11:25 PM, mytastebud said:

In the early 1990's, I was in my early 20's, I'd have girlfriends over. Even though I had 10 or so long boxes of comics stacked in my room, they would get ignored, but my Heather Thomas poster in her pink bikini would always get them talking.:signofftopic: sorry

If you sell I hope you do something fun with your well deserved $. Bucket List time

I had that poster!

On 4/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, mytastebud said:

I'm seriously waiting for that Amphoman nutter to try to convince you to invest it all in Amphoman comics and the creator himself. 

On 4/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, intlnews said:

I sent them like 20 WATA games to sell and was in the agreement not to list at the same time. They listed them all at the same time and since they were a lot of dupes, it depressed the value. The POS who handled the transaction said too bad. I found out one buyer bought all of them and sold them one by one on ebay. I hate that #*#&$) company.  I've received calls from them in the past since they know my collection. I think my last words to one of them was drop dead.

I wonder, is there like a 1031 exchange for comics and other investments?

I believe the 1031 rules were changed and can now only be used with certain real estate exchanges.

On 4/18/2022 at 9:21 AM, intlnews said:

I've been mulling over selling my Detective Comics # 1 8.5 with an auction house. They're estimating an obscene amount for the comic.  I purchased it in the 90's for 10k, they are projecting over 100k for it. Normally, I wouldn't, but with comics so high, I am concerned that the price, over time, will just go back to 10k or below. They also want me to list my Superman # 1 @ 7.5, Batman #1 8.5, Spiderman # 1 @ 9.4 and Amazing Fantasy 15 @ 5,  but I am not too keen on selling those.

What would you guys suggest? I've been going back and forth in my mind for years on all of them.  I also have others, but these are probably the most coveted.  The insurance premiums have been going up as the values continue to climb too.

They are just things.  If they give you pleasure hold.  If you want money to buy other things or enable experiences - then sell.  There is also pleasure to be gained by letting others buy your books to achieve their dreams. 

I don't see a huge point in holding the D 1 CGC 8.5(R) if you had thoughts of selling.  Financially, if you paid $10K over 20 years ago and it is now worth $100K, then your rate of return is less than 10.5% per year.  That beats the Dow at 7.09%, but if you'd bought a blue chip like Amazon you'd have made an !8%+ rate of return (over $400K value today) and not paid for any insurance.  If you're having thoughts of selling, then that suggests the pleasure is not worth the hassle.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:54 AM, sfcityduck said:

They are just things.  If they give you pleasure hold.  If you want money to buy other things or enable experiences - then sell.  There is also pleasure to be gained by letting others buy your books to achieve their dreams. 

I don't see a huge point in holding the D 1 CGC 8.5(R) if you had thoughts of selling.  Financially, if you paid $10K over 20 years ago and it is now worth $100K, then your rate of return is less than 10.5% per year.  That beats the Dow at 7.09%, but if you'd bought a blue chip like Amazon you'd have made an !8%+ rate of return (over $400K value today) and not paid for any insurance.  If you're having thoughts of selling, then that suggests the pleasure is not worth the hassle.

True, but Tec 1 is pretty hard to come by. Seeing what the mid grades restored are selling on HA is crazy..

On 4/19/2022 at 9:27 PM, FFB said:

You should try to work a trade with Metropolis if you want to swap books for an Action 1.  If you sell the books and buy the Action 1, you get hit with capital gains taxes.  Not so with a trade.  Metropolis probably knows where a couple of lower grade copies are at all times.  That's what I would do in your shoes. 

Ordinarily I would not swap the Detective 1 for anything as that is one of my favorite books of all time and is exceedingly rare in any grade.  But if we are talking about it from an investment perspective, Action 1 will appreciate faster into the future.     

Care to lend me 500k? ;'p

Edited by intlnews