• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Understanding the Grade I Received On Secret Wars #8
3 3

35 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2022 at 9:38 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Grader notes are more of a guideline than a comprehensive list of defects, but ideally they would be included in them. It's simply the nature of graded comic books that I always consider the interior may be why the grade is lower than the covers appear to indicate.

This is true

On 4/20/2022 at 9:34 AM, Adrift said:

I believe what you're seeing is just a weird reflection in the slab. If you look at the full cover pictures, you'll see that there aren't any bends in that area. I had actually sent the book to a popular presser before he sent them off to CGC.

As mentioned above, I've always believed the red on the "S" was a printing defect. It's been on the book ever since I grabbed it in 91, but I suppose it's possible some kid got his hands on it before then.

Thanks for your input!

Okay but the notes still mention bends and light creasing...suggesting there are still elements that could be improved. Prominent presser or not, if these books sat for any period of time (aka 6 months or more at CGC in their less than ideal storage ways), it is more than possible bends could reappear or possible be created. And I mean, there are good pressers and then there are great pressers....were the rip and the frayed corner top right there prior to submitting?

On 4/20/2022 at 9:49 AM, comicginger1789 said:

were the rip and the frayed corner top right there prior to submitting?

Yes, that was there before I sent the books out. To be clear, while the corner does appear to be a bit beat, the "rip" is from a page inside the book, and as I recall, it didn't appear to be a rip, so much as it appeared to be how that particular inner page was cut from the manufacturer.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, Bird said:

whole book bend maybe? cant be seen but hammer the grade? (just guessing)

What's a "whole book bend?" Is that exactly what it sounds like? The book looked flat to me when I sent it to the presser.

Edited by Adrift

On 4/19/2022 at 9:09 PM, AJD said:

I think that's a printing defect, and I'd be surprised if that was the issue. The small edge tear (above the Marvel box) probably had a role in the grade.

Agreed, I've noticed CGC is tough on even the smallest of tears.

On 4/20/2022 at 12:14 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Especially with any book 1980 to now

Have what I think is a great copy of ASM 300 that was fully pressed and cleaned, squeaked out a 9.0 that was seemingly due to a small notch on the back cover.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:17 AM, Adrift said:

What's a "whole book bend?" Is that exactly what it sounds like? The book looked flat to me when I sent it to the presser.

I believe it to be what it sounds like. I have had squarebound comics get hammered with that note/defect, I assume the book was folded hard at one point. When it was in my notes I interpreted it as the spine "breaking" at the point the book was bent.

On 4/21/2022 at 9:29 AM, Bird said:

I believe it to be what it sounds like. I have had squarebound comics get hammered with that note/defect, I assume the book was folded hard at one point. When it was in my notes I interpreted it as the spine "breaking" at the point the book was bent.

Hmm. Well if that's what happened, it would have to have happened during delivery to the presser or CGC, but I don't see anything like a hard bend through the slab.

On 4/20/2022 at 9:00 AM, Miguelb said:

Agreed, I've noticed CGC is tough on even the smallest of tears.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:14 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Especially with any book 1980 to now

... Unless CGC has established a tear to be a common manufacturing defect, like this Wolverine Limited 1. I sent this back for a review and CGC graders claimed, yes, this is a 9.8. Of course many boards members and I were in disbelief when I originally posted this.

Wolverine 1 a.jpg

It seems to me that the gradation is due to the same randomness, which does not happen very often, but such events are hard to ignore. The only option for me is to review and perhaps ask the questions that caused this grading. You could also try to attach a kind of argumentative essay to the repeated grading, if need be there are examples at https://gradesfixer.com/essay-types/argumentative-essays/ in case you don't know how to spell it. But the main thing is not to throw up your hands and I think that the grade can definitely be raised, especially in your case. 

Edited by Fleamint

On 4/22/2022 at 8:34 PM, jokiing said:

... Unless CGC has established a tear to be a common manufacturing defect, like this Wolverine Limited 1. I sent this back for a review and CGC graders claimed, yes, this is a 9.8. Of course many boards members and I were in disbelief when I originally posted this.

Wolverine 1 a.jpg

I would be really upset if i bought this as a 9.8.  

I have an otherwise flawless book with a MUCH smaller chip in the same spot that received a 9.4 

On 12/15/2022 at 11:09 AM, eastriver400 said:

I would be really upset if i bought this as a 9.8.  

I have an otherwise flawless book with a MUCH smaller chip in the same spot that received a 9.4 

Justifies me thinking a 9.2 silver age book I have, with a similar sized chunk out of the back cover, feels like it really is a 9.8! :D