• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on modern comic artist? Your fav?
6 6

65 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2022 at 11:02 AM, Stefanomjr said:

Sean Murphy. Love his Murphyverse White Knight series.

Anyone that pencils and inks their own work, traditionally, gets my respect. Sean is a creative force. qMqMxJ05_1604181104581sbpi.thumb.jpg.6fafb0b6cee22cfc1a1c8cdf7582fb06.jpg

Can't believe it took three pages of this thread for someone to mention Sean Murphy...

Edited by Sideshow Bob

On 4/23/2022 at 3:48 PM, Sideshow Bob said:

Can't believe it took three pages of this thread for someone to mention Sean Murphy...

Has Aaron Campbell been around too long? Very dark.

Edited by Rick2you2

On 4/23/2022 at 12:34 PM, Laszlo the Mudjar said:

I would agree and disagree with that idea or more succinctly I would refine the idea.  I agree that looking for "popular" modern artists puts one into the spec camp, however, I would argue that there are literally thousands of artists from which to choose so why not find one that a) you like personally AND b) is popular.  Going for only a) is not without merit but I would argue has less chance of holding value.  I would never buy art with the intention of flipping, but I would prefer to buy art that I like AND is from a popular artist.  Not sure if I explained that well, but I tried :) 

I think you may have misunderstood me, and in an effort to not derail this thread, I'll keep this brief.

My point was not on buying art you like from popular artists. Artists become popular because their art has universal appeal. There is more of a chance will want to buy their art compared to an unknown artist. Buying art you like from a popular artists doesn't put you in the spec camp in my opinion.

What does put you in the speculator/investor camp however, is buying art with the hope or sole intention that it will appreciate in value at a later date. If given the choice between art from artist A or art from artist B and you choose B because you hope/think that this art will be worth more in the future, then you are a speculator/investor not a collector.

Buying comic art on speculation and buying comic art on artistic merit are quite distinct, it's worth noting that a few of the pieces that have sold for large sums as of lately are devoid of artistic merit. (eg. that Black suit Spidey Secret Wars page, The Amazing Spider-Man #300 cover and the Ultimate Fallout #4 Cover) I'm pretty sure many comic art collectors would have initially passed these pages up when they first came to market.

Also, just as general advice...I listened to a recent podcast from Felix Comic Art recently and he explained this well. You should just generally buy what you like regardless of who created it. There is no guarantee the piece you bought will appreciate in value. I'd admit it is more likely to, coming from a popular artist. But buying art solely from popular artists because they give the best 'returns' is the wrong way to approach the hobby imho

Marcos Martin.

I really like his Spider-man work.  I wish I had not been so picky and just bought one of the decent Batgirl pages when they were available, as I was holding out for something from Spider-man.

I like the style.  

A lot of the modern artists I enjoy seem to work primarily digitally, but most of the later Hickman Era X-Men stuff (Swords of X, onward) from Asrar seemed to have sold out relatively quickly after they were released. Leinil I think is mostly digital but was traditionally inked by Alanguilin before he passed. I think after that he announced he was done doing interiors and only wanted to work on covers. Some of his Hickmen X-Men are being sold off. I got a page early on but now the prices on them are about 2-4X what I got it for, which I think sounds more appropriate. 

Ed McGuinness has really done some incredible work on a lot of books... and especially when it comes to OA collecting? He's produced some incredible splash pages and covers. I don't have much modern art in my collection, but when I saw this up for sale I immediately started figuring out where I would put it on my wall...

ZUBzgnBC_2101181851111gpadd.JPG#.YndbYue

I think that Ian Bertram and Tradd Moore are currently doing exceptional art. Little Bird and Silver Surfer Black contain great artwork.
And yes, there is very, very strong European art (don’t know where to start and stop. It is an endless field..)

Edited by Matthias.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:53 PM, Matthias. said:

I think that Ian Bertram and Tradd Moore are currently doing exceptional art. Little Bird and Silver Surfer Black contain great artwork.
And yes, there is very, very strong European art (don’t know where to start and stop. It is an endless field..)

One of my favorite living European artists is Hermann. And here an example from Ian Bertram

664B0632-09A1-4D6F-A731-380367F58366.jpeg

C1F879B7-A320-4104-BAB5-14B06684E9CB.jpeg