• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Graders Notes
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hi, just received a 15 book submission back, and several books that were pressed and I'm sure were 9.8's came back as 9.6's.  Would like to know why, but all my books had "Grader Notes: Unavailable".  What gives, always had them before.

Zorro710

Generally speaking, the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.6 is pretty minor. For instance, a small finger bend or light spine stress line can often be the difference. The fact that there are no grading notes for these books isn't surprising...

I can understand why it would be frustrating to submit a book you closely scrutinized, and believed was a good 9.8 candidate, to not only get a 9.6 (or worse), but also get no indication at all of why it got that grade.  

I've only ever done one submission, and I had two copies of a book, and - to my naked eye - they looked pristine.  One got 9.6, which is close enough that it could just fall within a coin-flip, I guess, but the other one got 9.4 and neither came with grader's notes, so I'm like.  (shrug)

Not saying the grades aren't correct either.  It's just a bit annoying to not know what the deal was. 

Imagine they HAD to enter notes for EVERY book? Imagine the turnaround times then?!?!?! 3 years at least

Is it a little frustrating? Sure but we as a community are the ones who put SO much value in 9.8 over 9.6. Reality is if you took 100 9.6 and resubmitted them, guaranteed a chunk come back as 9.8. Similarly, the 9.8s if someone resent in 100, guaranteed some would come back 9.6.

I just tell myself none of my books are 9.8. At best, 9.4-9.6. That mentality has served me well, in addition to being harsh and I guess not really caring about getting a specific grade. Again, its best to send in hoping for a range....like if this books get 5.0-6.5 it's all good. Over time you get to know how certain eras and even certain books are treated (in addition to following others opening and sharing books, its is a great way to learn).

On 4/28/2022 at 8:58 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I just tell myself none of my books are 9.8. At best, 9.4-9.6. That mentality has served me well, in addition to being harsh and I guess not really caring about getting a specific grade.

Words of wisdom Lloyd, my man...words of wisdom...   

lloyd.thumb.jpg.e9422018442fead996451be67310bab1.jpg

On 4/28/2022 at 12:05 PM, The Lions Den said:

Words of wisdom Lloyd, my man...words of wisdom...   

lloyd.thumb.jpg.e9422018442fead996451be67310bab1.jpg

No book is perfect. Perfection is an illusion. My 9.4 is beautiful. That spine tick on her backside...that's the sign of experience and I like a book who knows how be read.

Now pour me another...a man gets thirsty 'round here.

On 4/28/2022 at 8:58 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Imagine they HAD to enter notes for EVERY book? Imagine the turnaround times then?!?!?! 3 years at least

Yuuup. That's why I don't mind if they skip the notes in the NM range. IMO it's usually obvious when a 9.0+  cam back the way it did.

^ Agree...the spine tick(s), small bends, colour rub, etc you see with your eyes are often why the book landed where it did. And if you see none of those things, well you could be inexperienced at finding flaws OR perhaps the flaw is inside the book. Remember books have flaws all throughout them that could get graded. There could be a fingerprint or some smudge on an interior page (which would be cool to know in notes) but again that is a majorish flaw and I think CGC just assumes you know your books. Reality though, we only know the front and back cover (in terms of where the flaws are)

I have been a collector for 35+ years.  I am very meticulous with my books (bagged and boarded right when purchased).  I started submitting books to be graded several years ago and in small batches.  I typically have sent multiple of the same book as well in order to get a feel on how books are graded.  My early submissions were as expected and received 9.8's on the books I deems justify that grade (ie not all of them!).  Most recently in my last two submissions, really since the company was sold, I am getting grades all over the place but only a few 9.8 grades.  This is really getting me upset as I know what I own and know when I should be receiving 9.8s vs 9.4s.  You may poo poo the idea that there are really minimal differences between these grades BUT that is not true when it comes to the value of the book.  The difference is very significant.  Oh and there are no graders notes.  So I am left with a feeling that there is a conscious effort to reduce the grades on books.  And it is really very upsetting.

On 6/16/2022 at 3:02 PM, nickv27 said:

I have been a collector for 35+ years.  I am very meticulous with my books (bagged and boarded right when purchased).  I started submitting books to be graded several years ago and in small batches.  I typically have sent multiple of the same book as well in order to get a feel on how books are graded.  My early submissions were as expected and received 9.8's on the books I deems justify that grade (ie not all of them!).  Most recently in my last two submissions, really since the company was sold, I am getting grades all over the place but only a few 9.8 grades.  This is really getting me upset as I know what I own and know when I should be receiving 9.8s vs 9.4s.  You may poo poo the idea that there are really minimal differences between these grades BUT that is not true when it comes to the value of the book.  The difference is very significant.  Oh and there are no graders notes.  So I am left with a feeling that there is a conscious effort to reduce the grades on books.  And it is really very upsetting.

Exactly, me too. Silvers, Bronzes & Moderns received low grades without explanation. No grader notes—in fact 3 books were just returned to me and have No Grades at all listed under verification. These are moderns carefully selected from multiple copies for SS submission—so, as you said, what would be a 9.8 slipping to somewhere between a 9.2 and a 9.4 really makes a difference. Plus, cases have multiple scratches. Obviously, l lose $ on these books. Looks to me like New owners have instituted some kind of quota system. I don’t want to risk anymore books.

On 6/24/2022 at 6:14 AM, enigmatech said:

Exactly, me too. Silvers, Bronzes & Moderns received low grades without explanation. No grader notes—in fact 3 books were just returned to me and have No Grades at all listed under verification. These are moderns carefully selected from multiple copies for SS submission—so, as you said, what would be a 9.8 slipping to somewhere between a 9.2 and a 9.4 really makes a difference. Plus, cases have multiple scratches. Obviously, l lose $ on these books. Looks to me like New owners have instituted some kind of quota system. I don’t want to risk anymore books.

Yeah, I completely agree.  I have several examples too.  Back in the day I bought 5-6 Wolverine #1 (1988 new series).  They were all immaculate.  They have been bagged and boarded ever since.  I know what I own and the condition.  So I do believe they have put some sort of cap on 9.8's.  I also believe if there was any damage at all it was caused by them.  Unfortunately I did not take detailed pictures before I sent in my submission.  Very upset about that.  But I am now looking around for alternatives to CGC as I no longer trust them.