• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB's BARBIE THE MOVIE starring Margot Robbie (2023)
7 7

540 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2023 at 6:23 PM, Gatsby77 said:

So apparently Barbie was originally budgeted at $100 million - but the final budget (before P&A expenses) came in at ~$145 million.

(AKA half of Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1's $290 million.)

And I see that supposedly Robbie and Gosling both got paid $12.5 million - but I'm curious about:

1) What Gerwig got paid; 

2) What type of gross points (if any) Robbie, Gosling and/or Gerwig received;

3) Particularly Robbie's total base comp - since she's the star & a producer.

No idea, but I bet she walks away with at least another $25M.

Edited by drotto

On 8/4/2023 at 10:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

Already $900M+ globally.  
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/barbie-box-office-hits-900-million-1235550913/amp/

Epic fail for those who predicted it would bomb.

Actually, most people seemed to think it would do well.  Some were hoping for a bomb, but most agreed it could do well. Almost everyone missed it would do this well.  As shown by the film blowing past all the projections from every source. Even most industry sources seemed to put it in the $800m to $900m range before it opened. A very respectable showing, especially on the $125M ish budget, although apparently the market spending was massive, and apparently money well spent. I do not recall anyone projecting $1B plus, until opening weekend happened. 

On a lessor scale, the industry estimates were also way off on Oppenheimer, which has also over performed all projections. Both these movie just seem to satisfy something that has been lacking in movies for a long time. 

Edited by drotto

On 7/31/2023 at 11:43 AM, sfcityduck said:

The censored word is not advocating for discrimination or intolerance. It's misuse as a false right wing political tag line is probably the reason it was banned. The point was to get politics out of this thread. Something that many seem to be resisting. 

Correction...the point was to get some of the politics out of this thread...

Saw it last night...I can't believe I spent $15 and 2-hrs watching that "mis·an·dry" /məˈsandrē/ -filled movie. It'll bank in the theatres, but it was way too "regressive" for me.

Edited by AGGIEZ

It is also incredibly interesting to think about how much heavy lifting this movie is doing to help the bolster the Oppenheimer box office. There were scads of people in the audience wearing pink when seeing Oppenheimer who wanted to do the whole Barbinheimer double feature meme experience so the take of both films are going to be interesting to dissect and track long term as they are very much intertwined (while Barbie clearly has more legs at this point I'm sure it'll get more people to do the double feature experience while both are in theatres - afterwards not so much)

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 8/7/2023 at 11:05 PM, Sauce Dog said:

Got to see it tonight and didn't expect it to go as hard as it did. So much joyful camp combined with a very smart direction. It makes sense now why the sets had to be built for real - otherwise there wouldn't be anything for the actors to chew on while having that much fun (Gosling was clearly meant for this and stole every scene he was in, the dude knows physical comedy and gets it. I'm going to have to rewatch Nice Guys again just for fun now). Visually extremely well done (not just the sets and in camera effects, but the costuming. I can't even fathom how many times they had to re-dye every Barbie and Kens light hair to properly color sync them with every single outfit change for every new scene - I think I would die from that much die)

It is bonkers to think how easily a property like Barbie could have just become a typical movie like any other toy franchise without much exploration (Transformers, Battleship, Lego etc not saying they are bad, but they don't really stray too far from home overall). It really is a rarity to get a mega major property movie to venture into a direction such as this. The humour alone was surprising varied - going from visual slapstick to cheap dirty JO jokes all the way to very deep-cut historic niche references without missing a beat. There will for sure be jokes many will not get but I'm sure it won't feel too jarring)

Also any man who felt attacked by this film might have missed the entire point it was making (IMO they spelled it out very clearly at the end/jokes that I'm now even more concerned with media literacy lol)

Saw it last night with my wife and some friends. I agree with you 100%. You wrote almost what I wanted to say. I have to admit though, I felt a tad depressed after watching it.