• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams has passed
2 2

15 posts in this topic

I didn't read the article yet, but sepsis is a fiend from hell

RIP to the man who fought for Kirby and may have essentially created the OA hobby as a by product

He was fun to talk to, a big smile that seemed to cover a big heart. I bet he was tough though, tough as nails. And a great artist.

Adams was a real god.

He re-created comic story-telling the way he opened up pages with his layouts. He advanced what Eisner pioneered. His characters were larger than life, but nonetheless, real people. Without an Adams, would we have seen a Byrne, a Lee, or any number of artists who used his work to learn how to draw? Apart from getting artists their art back, he apparently helped boost their pay (I don’t know the details).

He was a bit full of himself, and a real salesman of his work, but when you got past the “I’m Neal Adams”, he was a good guy (and an “old school” liberal).