• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it false or misleading advertising when a comic has a cool cover but unappealing interior art?
1 1

79 posts in this topic

In the late 70s to early 80s, Michael Golden did many very nice covers hiding lacklustre art inside, from Sal Buscema on Incredible Hulk, Howard Chaykin on Micronauts, Mike Vosburg on She-Hulk.

On 5/6/2022 at 4:35 AM, Axe Elf said:

Your dancing comic girls are quaint.

Orlando.thumb.jpg.5d96ce58a5f201d91096531deba2e41b.jpg

Orlando was a very good artist.  Especially his 50s work at EC.

On 5/5/2022 at 10:41 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Orlando was a very good artist.  Especially his 50s work at EC.

This was from CREEPY #1, so essentially an extension of that.

I'm reading through a string of Conans (mostly John Buscema)... nice cover by Buscema. I look at the splash page and think, is this real? Stan, Jim Shooter, or any Sr. level editor allowed this?

It's surreal in the sense it is like a low budget cartoon animation.

cona.jpg

comb.jpg

Edited by bronze_rules

On 5/4/2022 at 6:30 PM, october said:

LB Cole fans are intimately familiar with this type of disappointment. 

All those Neal Adams Bat-Books from the late 60's/early 70's. It's a serious bait & switch when Neal Adams does the cover and you get Bob Brown or Frank Robbins on the inside.

On 5/5/2022 at 8:34 PM, Ken Aldred said:

In the late 70s to early 80s, Michael Golden did many very nice covers hiding lacklustre art inside, from Sal Buscema on Incredible Hulk, Howard Chaykin on Micronauts, Mike Vosburg on She-Hulk.

I thought Golden did the art on a bunch of those Micronauts....didn''t he?

On 5/6/2022 at 12:07 AM, dupont2005 said:

Back when comics were on the rack and you could pick it up and look inside I’d say no. But aren’t orders put in sometimes with the cover image the only image available to view?

Yes, but today you can look up examples of the creator's artwork to see if it's okay. That's what I do if I'm unfamiliar with an interior artist before ordering.

On 5/6/2022 at 11:50 PM, Kramerica said:

I thought Golden did the art on a bunch of those Micronauts....didn''t he?

He did, up to issue 12.  Then Chaykin took over the interior art but Golden continued doing the covers for a while.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:48 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Comic covers are the original click bait.

Yup, that would be me. I don't think that there has ever been a book that I have bought for the cover that I have ever opened. Unfortunately, that has been the norm for me since the early 90s.

I'd say this is the case with most Golden Age books. The interior artwork at this time in comics was almost always pretty bad. High quality interior art was a rarity. The explosive, high-energy style of early 1960's Kirby interiors hadn't become the industry standard yet. Most interior artists weren't polished illustrators.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:29 PM, Bludriver said:

Does anyone have any examples of books with poor covers but much better interior art (If there is such an animal)?

I can think of one example where the cover artist wasn't quite as good as the interior artist. Ed Hartigan's Batman covers were solid not poor but I think Don Newton who often did the interior pencils was a better artist. 

I'll give an example of what I posted about originally. Here's Mike Mignola's striking cover capturing the moment Robin 'dies' in the explosion, versus some of Jim Aparo's interior art on Batman Death in the Family. Aparo's art just kills the drama of the writing so to speak. As always it's subjective but to me it ruined one of the most important Batman story arcs of the Copper age. 

Batman_428.jpg.402da6fb529bb64c7043d74853e4b9da.jpg

948772308_BatmanDeathinFamilyAparoArt.jpg.9fa402af4112de16c334967788affca0.jpg

Edited by MattrixAlien