• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 4
13 13

290 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 12:48 AM, kav said:

Mike has enough work to do with the contest without burdening him further.  Its up to us to pay attention to deadlines.
Cant wait to see the results.  I'm at 27 I think but whats my standing?

Yes, it's an extra step, and I wouldn't suggest it be done early or often. Maybe once at some point maybe a day before deadline.  Most contest runners have usually done something like that.  Mike's already posting counts of how many people have submitted or still need to submit.  Probably not a stretch to just post a list of names instead.  (shrug)

I know not everyone is happy, but I think overall we were able to give CGC some really good pointers on where they could improve their grading, and I think everyone who participated should be proud of that.

One of my better rounds: 2 bullseyes (Sensation & X-Men), 2 off by one grade and one by two (thought WA top spine had piece missing).

Contest was a rollercoaster - 2 bad rounds, 2 good rounds!

Challenging to grade without book in hand, but good way to better understand how CGC grades.

Thanks again to Mike for running a smooth contest!

On 5/11/2022 at 11:48 PM, kav said:

Mike has enough work to do with the contest without burdening him further.  Its up to us to pay attention to deadlines.
Cant wait to see the results.  I'm at 27 I think but whats my standing?

Congrats to you. I am behind you by two points.  I doubt we make it.  Last contest, we were under 24 points, mine was 19 and didn't make the cut.

On 5/12/2022 at 4:55 AM, JollyComics said:

I had 5.0 on SS1 too. We saw the same defect.

I mean, who knows CGC's logic precisely, but I was guessing the book was a 6.5/7.0 without the fade, clean and structurally decent, and that the fade was 'annoying' but not too severe.

On 5/12/2022 at 5:56 AM, Point Five said:

I mean, who knows CGC's logic precisely, but I was guessing the book was a 6.5/7.0 without the fade, clean and structurally decent, and that the fade was 'annoying' but not too severe.

I agreed. There are many 6.0 to 7.5 copies in Heritage. Some books have a small tear at the bottom spine and are 6.0. Those are much nicer than this book. I thought it’s safe to grade 5.0 with some fading areas.

• Administrator
On 5/12/2022 at 12:51 AM, Warlord said:

Yes, it's an extra step, and I wouldn't suggest it be done early or often. Maybe once at some point maybe a day before deadline.  Most contest runners have usually done something like that.  Mike's already posting counts of how many people have submitted or still need to submit.  Probably not a stretch to just post a list of names instead.  (shrug)

The way this is currently set up, it would take me at least a few hours to locate and list 30 people who have not yet submitted their grades.  I can easily count the number of people who have sent them in and subtract that number from the amount of people participating.  With that said, I do plan on learning how the spreadsheet works, and there might be a feature that would assist me in doing this.  

On 5/11/2022 at 9:56 PM, Axelrod said:

The X-Men book is maybe the biggest head-scratcher for me of the contest.  I really can't see anything beyond the corner issue.  And it is so clearly superior to the Strange Tales book that the thought they would get the same grade seems laughable.

The key takeaway is that eye appeal matters and can weigh against small structural flaws. You can tell by the light reflection on the scan that the Strange Tales had high, deep gloss. This is where the "art" part of grading comes in. 

For the record, I had 9.0 on the ST and 9.2 on the X-Men. I was highly confident the ST would be 9.0  The only reason I gave the X-Men a 9.2 (I wanted to go 9.0) was that they usually don't do the same grade twice in the same round... so I pushed the X-Men to 9.2. 

Edited by Mr. Zipper

So close on all of them but still ended up with 6 points and no bullseyes.  I let that earlier 9.6 get in my head and gave the Strange Tales a 9.4 since it looked pretty close to the Howard the Duck.  The X-Men 101 I went 9.2 but could have easily given that one a 9.4 also.  Great contest!

Well I finally got one bulls-eye out of 20...lol.  For the WA book.  Blew it on the SC68...initially had it at 4.0...then went to 4.5 and figured the GA bump and got to 5.0 :whatthe: sure was a lot nicer than a lot of other 3.5s I have seen.  Had ST152 at 9.0 and bumped to 9.2 another over-grade.  Same with XM101 was at 9.2 and was leaning toward 9.0 and then inexplicably put in 9.4 when I was posting the grades.  Settled on 5.5 for the SS1 I would not buy that book as a 6.0 :sumo:  Ended up at 7 points I think that puts me at 32...

Wow, was waayyy off on the X-Men 101 with a 9.6. I didn’t see much wrong with that, even in the close ups. And I would definitely know the difference between a 9.0 and 9.6 if looking at a book in person. Goes to show, even with crystal clear closeups, it’s extremely difficult to still get an accurate reading. Ultimately fun exercise though to say the least and enjoyed doing this! 

On 5/12/2022 at 11:26 AM, LDarkseid1 said:

Wow, was waayyy off on the X-Men 101 with a 9.6. I didn’t see much wrong with that, even in the close ups. And I would definitely know the difference between a 9.0 and 9.6 if looking at a book in person. Goes to show, even with crystal clear closeups, it’s extremely difficult to still get an accurate reading. Ultimately fun exercise though to say the least and enjoyed doing this! 

faint color breaking crease on the lower right corner, about 1" long.

On 5/11/2022 at 10:40 PM, Axelrod said:

That tiny crease does not knock it down to 9.0.  Not even close.  It got a 9.0 for (apparently) some things that are not visible in the pictures!

:deadhorse:

That books a 9.0 all day every day. And yes, that crease knocks it down that far.

On 5/12/2022 at 8:34 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

faint color breaking crease on the lower right corner, about 1" long.

Oh yeah I totally see the grader notes show that. What I’m saying is I didn’t see it, I still don’t see it lol. So per my point, it’s tough to see imperfections sometimes this way. If others caught it then more power to you.

Edited by LDarkseid1