• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 4
13 13

290 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 7:56 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Then what happens if all of a sudden a bunch of people nail them or one person gets 5 bulls on every round? :flipbait:

First grades recorded (thumbsu

On 5/11/2022 at 7:59 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

First grades recorded (thumbsu

That would make sure people got them in on time @CGC Mike for the first with a perfect round, in order for a prize, even a $50 .... just to spice it up?

On 5/11/2022 at 7:58 PM, zzutak said:

Back in the mid-2000s, Ed Jaster (who had recently joined Heritage Auctions) told me the "trick" to having your books certified by CGC was to max out your invoices rather than submit only a few books.  "Sometimes you'll be higher than CGC, and sometimes you'll be lower; but if you're a decent grader, your average grade should come pretty close to CGC's."

To my fellow contestants: Before you pack it in, recalculate your contest score using signed deltas: -2 for your guess being 2 grade increments too low, -1 for your guess being 1 grade increment too low, 0 for a bullseye, +1 for your guess being 1 grade increment too high, +2 for your guess being 2 grade increments too high, and so on.  What's your final 20-book tally now?  Did the errors to the low side and high side more or less balance out?  Or is your contest score way negative or way positive (in which case you're consistently being too strict or too lenient with your condition assessments)?

Chances are your final score using signed deltas will be smaller than your final score using absolute/unsigned deltas.  If that's the case, your errors are balancing out (which is just what Ed predicted would happen for a decent grader).  That's a result I personally can live with!  (thumbsu  Until next time!  :hi:

Interesting approach  -   I may put that in practice.

On 5/11/2022 at 7:58 PM, kav said:

only one prize per person.  a bunch of people are not going to nail them-they never have before in all the grading contests :makepoint:

Didn't see that video of the same guy getting struck by lightning 3 times in a row?

On 5/11/2022 at 6:07 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Didn't see that video of the same guy getting struck by lightning 3 times in a row?

I said only one prize per person no matter how many times they get strucked!!  :makepoint:

On 5/11/2022 at 6:08 PM, JollyComics said:

One point, one bullseye then I overgraded three books. 8 points.   Probably I am out but I have fun and it was educational.

sealing with it?

On 5/11/2022 at 8:08 PM, kav said:
On 5/11/2022 at 8:07 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I said only one prize per person no matter how many times they get strucked!!  

Hey I said it 1st

Lol :sumo:

• Administrator
On 5/11/2022 at 8:03 PM, IvanGreebka said:

Mike I got my grades in right at 0800PM. I dont know if im late and I apologize for being tardy. I understand if I am disqualed. I sent it right at the buzzer.

You just made it!  Literally 5 seconds to spare.  

On 5/11/2022 at 6:13 PM, JollyComics said:

You asked for it.

thats what-

On 5/11/2022 at 8:10 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:
On 5/11/2022 at 8:08 PM, kav said:
On 5/11/2022 at 8:07 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I said only one prize per person no matter how many times they get strucked!!  

Hey I said it 1st

Lol :sumo:

Boom Roasted. 

Also 

ricky-bobby-will-ferell.gif.79331222179d3b78d79b376d1477cca3.gif

• Administrator
On 5/11/2022 at 8:23 PM, gradejunky said:

Was that War Action cleaned before pressing?  Looks much brighter and no stains in the lettering FC.

No work was done on these books after they were scanned.  All of the images of the raw books were darkened some to expose the defects better.  

• Administrator
On 5/11/2022 at 8:22 PM, WilliamLunt said:

General Comments
- the quality of scans is high enough in my opinion, and since we all get the same scans, we all have the same 'disadvantage'
e.g. I don't think the scans of the X-Men #101 in round 4 made the defects clear. I'm expecting most people to have graded this book higher than 9.0 as a whole.

I don't know this for sure and will have to double check but, I don't believe any of these books were pressed.  (again, I could be wrong and will check)  So, books that have light bends or very light bends do not show up in the scans.  Perhaps, I should add these notes above the raw scans in the future.  I will also check the books more thoroughly and compare them with the graders notes before posting.  If I feel any notes should be disclosed with the scans, I will do that.   

• Administrator
On 5/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, Cushing Fan said:

1. Is it possible to get a pic of each book's spine from the side in future contests?

I think we will stick with just the front and back scans but, I will try to give notes on books that have defects that don't show in the scans.

On 5/11/2022 at 8:43 PM, Cushing Fan said:

2. If someone wins or comes in second or third, are they continually allowed to keep entering each contest for prizes? Just saying there are obviously some professional or expert graders out there who would probably score high in every contest. 

My first thought is yes.