• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 4
13 13

290 posts in this topic

• Administrator
On 5/11/2022 at 8:47 PM, kav said:

lets start a prize thread for mike folks!!!

Thanks but, I am not allowed to accept any gifts.  

@CGC Mike I don't know if adding imperceptible defects like X-Men #101's `Very light bends to cover` would hurt or be helpful.

This is a pretty vague graders note and hard to imagine what it translates to the books final grade.

If you don't mention it, everybody just goes by what they can see. If would reduce the chances of a bullseye, but everyone is in the same boat.

• Administrator

For those that mentioned extra prizes on top of the current prizes, I am guessing that would be a no.  $850 is most likely my maximum budget for now anyways.  

On 5/11/2022 at 6:32 PM, CGC Mike said:

Thanks but, I am not allowed to accept any gifts.  

well we'll send you good karma.

• Administrator
On 5/11/2022 at 9:35 PM, WilliamLunt said:

@CGC Mike I don't know if adding imperceptible defects like X-Men #101's `Very light bends to cover` would hurt or be helpful.

This is a pretty vague graders note and hard to imagine what it translates to the books final grade.

If you don't mention it, everybody just goes by what they can see. If would reduce the chances of a bullseye, but everyone is in the same boat.

That is a good point, and I was originally thinking the same thing.  I could see people giving a 9.2 book an 8.0 with those types of graders notes.  

For future contests, I will check to see if we can possibly get the books with these types of defects pressed before they are scanned.  

On 5/11/2022 at 8:40 PM, CGC Mike said:

That is a good point, and I was originally thinking the same thing.  I could see people giving a 9.2 book an 8.0 with those types of graders notes.  

For future contests, I will check to see if we can possibly get the books with these types of defects pressed before they are scanned.  

^^

+1

On 5/11/2022 at 6:27 PM, CGC Mike said:

So, books that have light bends or very light bends do not show up in the scans.  Perhaps, I should add these notes above the raw scans in the future.  I will also check the books more thoroughly and compare them with the graders notes before posting.  If I feel any notes should be disclosed with the scans, I will do that.   

Just one man's opinion, but I think this is totally unnecessary.  Grading from flat scans of the front and back cover, even at ultra-high resolution, is inherently imprecise.  Certain defects will never be revealed.  If you're "triggered" by dealing with incomplete data or at the prospect of being wrong, just don't play.  :preach: 

On 5/11/2022 at 8:56 PM, Axelrod said:

The X-Men book is maybe the biggest head-scratcher for me of the contest.  I really can't see anything beyond the corner issue.  And it is so clearly superior to the Strange Tales book that the thought they would get the same grade seems laughable.  

I suppose that might have annoyed me if I was anywhere on the same continent as the leaders.  As it is, meh.  As someone else said, we're all kind of operating on the same information anyway. 

No one should be proud of themselves for getting the X-Men book right though!

I gave it a 9.4 knowing that the little crease broke color. My thought process was: to me its a 9.0 with the color breaking crease, but it was such an outstanding copy in every other way so I would have graded it a 9.2 and then I foolishly gave it a CGC bump...lol :pullhair:

One more thing, the War Action #2 looks to me like full spine readers crease.  I usually thing of these as 8+ inches of creases which in my calculation is max 4.5.  This maybe the first one I have seen with that defect get a 6.0!  In fact the Hulk #3 in the first round had the same readers crease and was a 4.0.

Edited by apoptosis