• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 CGC Grading Contest Season 1 Spring Edition (#2) Round 4
13 13

290 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 8:16 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

War Action I had as a 6.0 :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

look again johnny

I overgraded 2 books by one oncrement, ST and SS and I know why on both. I had considered 'hmm, am I not taking off enough for that" and apparently I wasn't

(of course, that is a cognitive distortion but then again, most of you are likely making them as well once you see the results)

Edited by Bird
if I graded in increments and not oncrements I would have won

On 5/11/2022 at 7:20 PM, Bird said:
On 5/11/2022 at 7:16 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

War Action I had as a 6.0 :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

look again johnny

I overgraded 2 books by one oncrement, ST and SS and I know why on both. I had considered 'hmm, am I not taking off enough for that" and apparently I wasn't

(of course, that is a cognitive distortion but then again, most of you are likely making them as well once you see the results)

Edited 1 minute ago by Bird
if I graded in increments and not oncrements I would have won

Oops.. I corrected it. 

I had the War Action at a 4.5.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I figure I scored a 4 on that round with 2 bulls. I bumped that X-Men up to a 9.4? I think I will be at 22 points for the contest. Gotta go check those grading notes for the X-Men. Just so glad there were no Spider-Man comics in this round!

Dang, 7 pts this round. One bullseye with the Surfer, and if I hadn't changed my mind at the last second on the Strange Tales to a 8.5, I would have had two bullseyes.  I'm surprised that book got a 9.0 with what looks like a bottom staple pull or crease.

Thank you Mike for making this all possible  - enjoyable and informative when I'm looking to buy raw books - I did think of two requests.

1. Is it possible to get a pic of each book's spine from the side in future contests?

2. If someone wins or comes in second or third, are they continually allowed to keep entering each contest for prizes? Just saying there are obviously some professional or expert graders out there who would probably score high in every contest. 

Edited by Cushing Fan

Thank you Mike for running this thing! There were some moments there where I was sure you'd had enough. Thanks for sticking with us through till the end and laughing with us and all of our shenanigans! 

On 5/11/2022 at 5:35 PM, timguerrero said:

I thought last round would be my worse one but no it had to be this last round. I got an awful 13 points on this one throwing me out with a total of 37 points. I really need to go to that grading seminar!

it stings I know.  when you scroll down the book reveal youre so hopeful-it assumes the importance of a decisive WW2 battle!!!  :pullhair:

Maybe there could be a prize for the first bullseye for every book in a round?

You asked for suggestions but I wasnt sure when that starts.

@CGC Mike

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

mike what about next time a $100 prize for anyone gets 5 bullseyes?  I mean that is so freakin rare it should be rewarded regardless of total score.

Well, I'm going to console myself with the thought that I didn't miss any book by more than 3 grades.

I missed a bunch by exactly 3 grades....

8 this round, I think, which is like 35 total.

Thanks Mike!  This is a great contest and impeccably run.

On 5/11/2022 at 7:53 PM, kav said:

mike what about next time a $100 prize for anyone gets 5 bullseyes?  I mean that is so freakin rare it should be rewarded regardless of total score.

Then what happens if all of a sudden a bunch of people nail them or one person gets 5 bulls on every round? :flipbait:

Back in the mid-2000s, Ed Jaster (who had recently joined Heritage Auctions) told me the "trick" to having your books certified by CGC was to max out your invoices rather than submit only a few books.  "Sometimes you'll be higher than CGC, and sometimes you'll be lower; but if you're a decent grader, your average grade should come pretty close to CGC's."

To my fellow contestants: Before you pack it in, recalculate your contest score using signed deltas: -2 for your guess being 2 grade increments too low, -1 for your guess being 1 grade increment too low, 0 for a bullseye, +1 for your guess being 1 grade increment too high, +2 for your guess being 2 grade increments too high, and so on.  What's your final 20-book tally now?  Did the errors to the low side and high side more or less balance out?  Or is your contest score way negative or way positive (in which case you're consistently being too strict or too lenient with your condition assessments)?

Chances are your final score using signed deltas will be much smaller than your final score using absolute/unsigned deltas.  If that's the case, your errors are balancing out (which is exactly what Ed predicted would happen for a decent grader).

If the sum of your signed deltas is between -20 and +20, on average, you're less than one grade increment away from CGC.  :whatthe:
If the sum of your signed deltas is between -10 and +10, on average, you're less than one-half of one grade increment away from CGC.  (worship)  (worship)  (worship) 

Until next time!  :hi:

Edited by zzutak

On 5/11/2022 at 5:56 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Then what happens if all of a sudden a bunch of people nail them or one person gets 5 bulls on every round? :flipbait:

only one prize per person.  a bunch of people are not going to nail them-they never have before in all the grading contests :makepoint: