• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice. Damaged poster with sketch.
2 2

36 posts in this topic

I also never offer a partial refund as a seller; send it back or keep it. I do give full refunds when appropriate (I missed a few heads cut out of a book last year or so, told him to keep it and he mailed it back anyway!). $8 book or such though.

On 5/7/2022 at 5:08 PM, Blastaar said:

Agreed. I always ship flat and the more layers the better. 

Absolutely - posters 13x19 and smaller can totally be mailed flat with plenty of padding to keep them from bending. Plus, the customer doesn’t have to risk damage trying to backroll it to make it flat. 

On 5/7/2022 at 6:19 PM, mytastebud said:

You could actually put a claim in with USPS too. The claim can be started by the buyer or seller. Its an easy online form. Addresses names and tracking number. Picture proof of damage. During the COVID mess I had 3 eBay related claims. Won every time.

When I've filed a claim with the USPS, they've wanted to see the original packaging material.  Once they saw the craptastic way the seller packed the item, it was an easy claim denial for them, since the packaging wasn't sufficient to protect the item.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:24 PM, wombat said:

What kind of person ships like that? That is horrific. 

Ya I know. Maybe it’s because I am used to shipping and receiving original art but it wouldn’t even cross my mind to roll. The paper quality is actually thick so just rolling it destroys the piece. Just odd. The seller is being very responsive and we are working out a solution.  Hey we all have to learn. I remember the first time I shipped three omnibus.  Put all three in the same box with loose space.  Box arrived flat…books are somewhere traveling through time and space. 

Edited by Blastaar

What's wrong with partial refund? I have asked for this before. A comic was advertised as VF and appeared as such so I was happy to pay $55 for it.

It arrived with damage that knocked it down to a Fine range book. Book is still good just not the VF I paid for. So if seller wants me to return, I will. If seller offers at discounted rate (ie partial refund), that also makes sense because then I paid for a Fine book which makes sense.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:20 AM, comicginger1789 said:

What's wrong with partial refund?

mostly I don't want to continue to negotiate. as a seller if a cheap comic got damaged, take it. If not cheap, please return. I don't want anyone buying and then trying to get something back once book is in hand...if you do not like it send it back but no more negotiation. I pack well so rarely is that an issue, and then if it is take it and sorry for the problem. But don't tell me their is a problem and then say money will fix it, it comes off as opportunistic often.

As always, it is how you do things that matters more

Edited by Bird

On 5/9/2022 at 9:30 PM, Bird said:

mostly I don't want to continue to negotiate. as a seller if a cheap comic got damaged, take it. If not cheap, please return. I don't want anyone buying and then trying to get something back once book is in hand...if you do not like it send it back but no more negotiation. I pack well so rarely is that an issue, and then if it is take it and sorry for the problem. But don't tell me their is a problem and then say money will fix it, it comes off as opportunistic often.

As always, it is how you do things that matters more

Fair enough. I just mean generally I buy comics for a certain grade. Specifically, I don't want a VF advertised book with a flaw like a popped centrefold so I usually ask when pictures and description don't seem enough. I've had one purchase in a plethora during my life that has yielded said flaw that the seller said was not there but was upon arrival. It was a $50 book or so, and I said I would do whatever he wanted....return or take a discount. He said sure to the discount and refunded half, which I felt was fair for the book in that grade with the popped staple at the centrefold. 

To finish this horse off. In this instance I said either a full refund with me returning the print or a discount of $100 and I’ll keep. The choice is in your hands and I will leave a positive review on either option. 

By offering to take a discount he avoids paying again for shipping and does not have to try and resell a damaged item. Win win in my eyes. don’t see that as being opportunistic, just open to solutions that are mutually beneficial. 

DAE0F6A3-459B-488C-9DB5-C7D790F9B783.gif.5897e85aff11ca997d7bc6fb23113434.gif