• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCG Seeks Top Experts in VHS Tapes to Press Play on New Grading Service - BETAMAX next?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 6:31 PM, cyclonus11 said:

That may be so, but it's not Bruce Lee  lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Le

Interesting ☺️

I'm still lost on how one would go about picking a worthy VHS for heading. I'm sure the market will be new I guess.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:27 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

That store has had mounds of VHS recently...

I guess I passed because I wouldnt know where to start? Bruce Lee does look tempting!

I agree with you on the store, but tbh they've had bundles of 5 VHS for $5, the real question I have is, are there enough slababble VHS like there are comics?

That would be eye opening to me. Like if anything or what the train of thought is in VHS? 

By the way its bruce le and never saw that one nor is it refered as a real bruce lee movie,who is bruce le ,being part of the bruceploitation era?

On 5/9/2022 at 6:33 PM, Kevin76 said:

If it fits in a plastic case, it'll be graded.  I'm sure all old media will be graded (LPs, cassettes, CDs ect...)  I'm sure 1st iPhones, IPods ect.. will be graded one day too and anything else that once sealed and ripped open.  

Lol I had an offspring cassette that was sealed that I spilt coffee all over a couple years ago doh!

On 5/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Interesting ☺️

I'm still lost on how one would go about picking a worthy VHS for heading. I'm sure the market will be new I guess.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:31 PM, cyclonus11 said:

That may be so, but it's not Bruce Lee  lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Le

On 5/9/2022 at 6:35 PM, Namtak said:

By the way its bruce le and never saw that one nor is it refered as a real bruce lee movie,who is bruce le ,being part of the bruceploitation era?

Someone, I assume, who filled the void entertainment wise after the originals death. That's why the name change.

On 5/9/2022 at 6:39 PM, Namtak said:

I have a question ....even sealed VHS can be demagnetized and therefore useless ...how could they tell while grading à sealed copy????

Perhaps weigh it idk

:sorry:

On 5/9/2022 at 7:37 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Someone, I assume, who filled the void entertainment wise after the originals death. That's why the name change.

Yup thats bruceploitation alright! There was one movie with bolo yeung and the 4 bruce lee clones in it still have that movie on cd-rom for computer lol i think it can be read on a dvd player but not sure,i think it was on 2 or 4 compact disc lol,i have it somewhere.but yeah that era is known as bruceploitation even in the documentaries by criterion

Edited by Namtak

On 5/9/2022 at 7:21 PM, Dreamtoreal1 said:

In my opinion best investment options with sealed vhs are

- Horror titles from the 80s sealed   (VHS has incredible horror covers and I believe they will do extremely well in an auction) also they are scarce as most of the horror movies were opened to be watched so population report should be relatively low (like precode horror comics)

Movies released from 1980 -1985  1st releases with watermarks like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Karate Kid, Star Wars, etc I consider 1980-1985 the golden age of vhs so any classic/cult movies from that time period will have a tremendous nostalgia factor behind it

Movies with Superstars like Sylvester Stallone (Rambo/Rocky Movies) Arnold Swarzeneger (Predator/Terminator)  but not the 90s movies with them

Stay away from movies from 1989-2004 unless you can buy them really cheap (because there are a ton of those out there (think modern comics)

ironically 2005/2006 releases should be a good investment because 2006 was the last year vhs was produced so movies like Batman Begins, I Robot, Napoleon Dynamite should have strong value. at that time people and also last movie ever release on vhs "A Hystory of Violence" with Viggo Mortensen

Awesome! I noticed you tagged a few times today, so I'll take the knowledge! :takeit:

If I find some I'll keep it in mind.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/9/2022 at 5:27 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome! I noticed you tagged a few times today, so I'll take the knowledge! :takeit:

If I find some I'll keep it in mind.

Absolutely.  Go to ebay sold listing and look for "sealed vhs" and "horror vhs" and take notes of what sold over $100 and make your own list. then Hit every possible Thrift store / Antique Store and Flea Market near where you live because there is gonna be plenty of opportunities to buy sealed vhs at a very low cost and some of those will command big numbers in an auction.  also I have posted on my instagram some samples of good value sealed vhs @dreamtoreal1 if you want to take a look.   PS: Do not buy Disney tapes. those are common ha!

On 5/9/2022 at 3:23 PM, alexanderjk said:

I’m sure this recent sale of a Terminator VHS tape was a motivator:

https://screenrant.com/terminator-vhs-first-tape-auction-sold-price-details/

Huh. I just looked in a drawer where I thought I had a copy of the uncut release of Blade Runner, but all I found was three copies of T2 still in the shrinkwrap - with a Subway coupon inside!

On 5/9/2022 at 5:44 PM, JC25427N said:

What about foreign VHS tapes? Or foreign VHS Tapes which reproduce/reprint content originally produced for the US? Will they be graded based on matching US VHS Art or whats actually on the tape?

:eek: Time for another 21 page thread

that's a good question. I would stick to US releases first and Canadian releases second. There is the case for instance of the movie Star Was Episode 3 from 2005 that Does not have a US Release on VHS But it does have a UK And or Australian release. That would be a good tape to get imo. Also if you can find foreign horror movies 1st releases with great covers you cannot go wrong.

Seems to me that the business in both video games and VHS is only in the mint still wrapped never sold or touched copies.  And if there are very few out there it should limit the attraction for new collectors.  And if there are tons of unsold stock sitting in high grade, that too puts a damper on it .  All the millions of opened, used, watched copies with creased or worse boxes are plentiful and not with slabbing… except for what the market determines is hot and/or scarce enough to sell ANY copy in any condition.

On 5/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Aman619 said:

Seems to me that the business in both video games and VHS is only in the mint still wrapped never sold or touched copies.  And if there are very few out there it should limit the attraction for new collectors.  And if there are tons of unsold stock sitting in high grade, that too puts a damper on it .  All the millions of opened, used, watched copies with creased or worse boxes are plentiful and not with slabbing… except for what the market determines is hot and/or scarce enough to sell ANY copy in any condition.

That's what bugged me, from what I've seen those available at these shops have been opened. Yet I do know that several though raw video game grading was special for those I've seen. That said, are there enough out there to pay for slabbing to make the venture worth it? Opening business suggests there is.

Even half price books has things like duck tales for NES raw for $250, that's a hard kind of price for such a store.

At first I thought perhaps pricesmart and or values were not so set in stone, kind of like Nintendo Power,  but I'm not sure ???

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/9/2022 at 2:55 PM, JEFFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO said:

:gossip: 78s

I have my mom’s 78’s. Elvis & Jerry Lee Lewis on Sun records. Lots of early jazz and blues including Robert Johnson & Muddy Waters and others. And yes. a lot of these are worth way more than you might think.