• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCG Seeks Top Experts in VHS Tapes to Press Play on New Grading Service - BETAMAX next?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, Robot Man said:

This is today’s hot new thing. Sealed tapes are going for big money.

Holy , no kidding. When I saw sealed and graded VHS tapes being sold for crazy money, I figured it would trickle down into the "raw" tapes. So, I put up a bunch of my VHS tapes I'd picked up at the thrift store that were sitting on my shelf. Sold $100 worth of VHS tapes I had - literally - $3.60 in. 10¢ Ghostbusters tape for $20? Yeah, I'll be hunting for those every time I hit the thrift store from now on.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 5/9/2022 at 1:57 PM, Troy Division said:

@CGC Comics @Matt Nelson
Please add treasury sized comics to expand upon potential new registry entries / revenue streams.
Thank you in advance.

On 5/9/2022 at 2:05 PM, Robot Man said:

Or Pulps…

Add Non Sports Cards.  

Still can't believe they are doing VHS before comic cards !!

On 5/9/2022 at 1:54 PM, BS Damutantman said:

It would take 450 business days to have an economy-tier comic go through CCS and CGC. There isn't money to expand that operation, but there is money to open another wing?

I might be out of my depth, but is there a demand for graded VHS? Does somebody at CGC need to open and play the movie to ensure it's not somebody's shrink-wrapped home movie and that it plays without issues? That's my main problem with graded video games and VHS. If I crack open a CGC comic, I'll still be able to read the comic, but no telling if a graded video game or VHS still works if cracked out.

People are going to start sending their X-Force #1s in for walkthrough...

On 5/9/2022 at 2:17 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Add Non Sports Cards.  

I can't believe there is a market for VHS tapes at all.  What's next, slabbed 8-track tapes?  Sheesh.

On 5/9/2022 at 5:23 PM, JJ-4 said:
On 5/9/2022 at 5:17 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Add Non Sports Cards.  

I can't believe there is a market for VHS tapes at all.  What's next, slabbed 8-track tapes?  Sheesh.

:gossip: 78s

I parted with all my VHS tapes the last time I was in the poor house. Drove them all to Movie Trading Company and took what they gave me.

Most were $2 or less, with some less than $1. That's how those places are - give pennies, charge dollars.

However, they gave me $18 - eighteen frickin' dollars - for this, which makes me feel like I should regret it every time I think about it:

UqNJwOx.jpg

ScreenRant said:

While VHS's can now carry some nostalgia for collectors and become proud items in film fans' collections, these items are likely to be well-used and not have a high value. As such, when VHS tapes are found in a condition like this recently sold copy, they can fetch high prices due to their pristine state, especially films that hold a rich, long-lasting legacy like The Terminator. In an age of prioritized streaming and digital releases, sales like these are a reminder of how desirable well-preserved physical editions may be one day.

I just have a bunch of well viewed Disney movies left in a box. (shrug)

So people are technically paying hundreds or thousands of $'s for just the VHS box since the tape deteriorates as Buzzeta mentioned :facepalm:. Probably the biggest if not one of the biggest meme in the collectibles industry.

I've been wrong before but Blackstone analytics actually show this as bringing in real revenue over next 5 years? Well I guess anything to keep from allocating money to introduce a semblance of quality control at CGC I guess.

When will they start to grade NFT's? Funny don't read much about those lately.

Edited by MAR1979

On 5/9/2022 at 7:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@Namtak this thread title should break your way, sounds at least like something you already have a stack of?

I hate vhs(shrug)but like beta better but would consider collecting laserdisc,already have one sealed laserdisc,go figure lol,to each his own!i have so much bad souvenir of vhs,statics,rewinding ,breaks tape or the worst,the spaghetti bursting tape out of the vcr:pullhair:especially from vhs for rental they were brutalized horribly sometimes,:facepalm:i feel a little old just now lol !!

Edited by Namtak

On 5/9/2022 at 6:10 PM, Namtak said:

I hate vhs(shrug)but like beta better but would consider collecting laserdisc,already have one sealed laserdisc,go figure lol,to each his own!i have so much bad souvenir of vhs,statics,rewinding ,breaks tape or the worst,the spaghetti bursting tape out of the vcr:pullhair:especially from vhs for rentable they were brutalized horrible sometimes,:facepalm:i feel a little old just now lol !!

I understand, I'm there with you, I just thought I remember a boardie posting pics of a collection. Maybe it was @F For Fake or maybe I'm misremembering all together lol

I remember in the late 80s my friend buying limited Edition laser discs and not opening (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/9/2022 at 7:12 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I understand, I'm there with you, I just thought I remember a boardie posting pics of a collection. Maybe it was @F For Fake or maybe I'm misremembering all together lol

I remember in the late 80s my friend buying limited Edition laser discs and not opening (thumbsu

I remember one  boardie that would love this thread and probably the guy you were thinking of so.....lets summon @onlyweaknesskryptonite!!!oups i guess he already knew that thread !my bad but its fun using the summon card anyway(thumbsu20210308_215507.jpg.bbb0988d3fc819332ce739ab505e6410.jpg.a3c1da46d955fbab432b5de77dfae91a.jpg

Edited by Namtak

On 5/9/2022 at 5:03 PM, cyclonus11 said:

I parted with all my VHS tapes the last time I was in the poor house. Drove them all to Movie Trading Company and took what they gave me.

Most were $2 or less, with some less than $1. That's how those places are - give pennies, charge dollars.

However, they gave me $18 - eighteen frickin' dollars - for this, which makes me feel like I should regret it every time I think about it:

UqNJwOx.jpg

That store has had mounds of VHS recently...

I guess I passed because I wouldnt know where to start? Bruce Lee does look tempting!

I agree with you on the store, but tbh they've had bundles of 5 VHS for $5, the real question I have is, are there enough slababble VHS like there are comics?

That would be eye opening to me. Like if anything or what the train of thought is in VHS? 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM