• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CCG Seeks Top Experts in VHS Tapes to Press Play on New Grading Service - BETAMAX next?
3 3

149 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 6:19 PM, Namtak said:

I remember one  boardie that would love this thread and probably the guy you were thinking of so.....lets summon @onlyweaknesskryptonite!!!oups i guess he already knew that thread !my bad but its fun using the summon card anyway(thumbsu20210308_215507.jpg.bbb0988d3fc819332ce739ab505e6410.jpg.a3c1da46d955fbab432b5de77dfae91a.jpg

Maybe you are thinking of when I shared pictures of my spare bedroom/ media room.20220509_203626.thumb.jpg.a755f1889fafd233eb36ac74c041d36f.jpg

On 5/9/2022 at 7:32 PM, Dreamtoreal1 said:

PS: Do not buy Disney tapes. those are common ha!

A lot of Disney I would definitely agree, however there are some Extremely rare and hard to find Disney VHS that several collectors would pay good money to even have a copy, much less sealed. 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

A lot of Disney I would definitely agree, however there are some Extremely rare and hard to find Disney VHS that several collectors would pay good money to even have a copy, much less sealed. 

There is a real market for many vhs genre,did talked about it last month in a pawnshop and wow the guy sold a few vhs used for a few undred $each.and yes vhs covers were beautifull theres a nostalgia to it thats easy to understand.im sure its gonna stay in collectibles value market for a good time!

On 5/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, Aman619 said:

Seems to me that the business in both video games and VHS is only in the mint still wrapped never sold or touched copies.  And if there are very few out there it should limit the attraction for new collectors.  And if there are tons of unsold stock sitting in high grade, that too puts a damper on it .  All the millions of opened, used, watched copies with creased or worse boxes are plentiful and not with slabbing… except for what the market determines is hot and/or scarce enough to sell ANY copy in any condition.

That isn't true at all for videogames, especially if you go back to generations where the games were sold in flimsy cardboard boxes with a variety of paper inserts. Becomes even more true everyday as most collectors are priced out of sealed copies.  

On 5/9/2022 at 7:24 PM, aardvark88 said:

Going to get ready for the Variant collectors who want low print run Canadian factory sealed VHS to chase the scarce bilingual English and French packaging. Ha ha. :slapfight:

I'm going to collect the rare errors during their first week (until they become common).............the ones slabbed upside down, with incorrect labels, shards of plastic inside and a bit of shaken movie syndrome.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:49 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Do you have to rewind before sending in for grading?

:drumroll:

If you are kind, you surely will, but if the 50 cent fine you will incur for not doing so is of no consequence to you, don't worry about it.

Edited by jdandns

On 5/9/2022 at 6:41 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Yup, "Snow White Live at Radio City", the "Welcome to Pooh Corner" series, "Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow", and some of the Disney Movie Club exclusives from the last days of VHS in the mid 2000's.

I regularly sold VHS on Ebay from '98 through around 2003. It was the Golden Age for that. There were thousands of titles worth $30 or more at a time when the average used VHS was around $4 from video stores and even less from swap meets and thrift stores. Living in SoCal, there were video stores everywhere (Blockbuster, Hollywood, and endless Mom 'n Pops), and even those not going out of business were all selling off their older VHS as DVD was completely taking over around that time.

I still have a nice horror movie collection in the format.

On 5/9/2022 at 11:07 PM, jdandns said:

Yup, "Snow White Live at Radio City", the "Welcome to Pooh Corner" series, "Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow", and some of the Disney Movie Club exclusives from the last days of VHS in the mid 2000's.

I regularly sold VHS on Ebay from '98 through around 2003. It was the Golden Age for that. There were thousands of titles worth $30 or more at a time when the average used VHS was around $4 from video stores and even less from swap meets and thrift stores. Living in SoCal, there were video stores everywhere (Blockbuster, Hollywood, and endless Mom 'n Pops), and even those not going out of business were all selling off their older VHS as DVD was completely taking over around that time.

I still have a nice horror movie collection in the format.

Agreed. I have sold a few SW LRC and Welcome to Pooh Corners. The later ones definitely did well..

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 5/10/2022 at 2:41 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Agreed. I have sold a few SW LRC and Welcome to Pooh Corners. The later ones definitely did well..

You keep trying to send me 'Welcome to Poo Corner.' Please stop. 

I dunno, seems somewhat reasonable to me.  It's not like they're going to divert comic graders to do VHS or use the same pressing or encapsulation machines or whatever.  I do agree the VHS degrades inside the case, just like the problem of graded G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero figures (if you didn't know, those 80s GI Joes were held together with a rubber band that degrades with age and they can fall apart on their own). With as much nostalgia as there is for the 90s cartoons like Batman: The Animated Series and X-Men I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of crossover from comics fans sending in their tapes.

I've got some sealed GI Joe and Robotech tapes, as well as some early dubbed anime that aren't really good to watch anyway but are a fun collectible.  I'm looking at you, "Clash of the Bionoids" (a crappy version of Macross: Do You Remember Love) and "Warriors of the Wind" (a crappy version of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind).  Might be nice to be able to display with similar merchandise and not worry so much about the shrinkwrap getting torn or something.  

Edited by wardevil0

Per usual, I was too far ahead of the curve on this one. I was collecting piles of VHS and laser for years, but sold most of the VHS off a few years ago. I've been a home media collector since I was a teenager, jumping from VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to BD (with a brief stopover for HD-DVD) to 4K UHD. The VHS was purely a nostalgia exercise, as I was also a big horror collector at the time. Eventually I just couldn't justify the space taken up by a media product I was literally never going to watch again. When it comes to nostalgia exercises, I only have room for so many, so comics and toys had to win out over movies I would never watch. I still have about 500-600 BD's and UHDs, but I'll likely watch those again, as they are likely to be the last stop on the physical media train, and never look better than they do right now.

I still have a few lasers, as I love the oversize packaging and artwork, and there are a few titles, that never made it to DVD/etc. There is still a thriving LD collector community, but the overwhelming majority of laserdisc collectors STILL WATCH THEIR LD'S, and are therefore not interested in sealed copies. In fact, most LD collectors will tell you that you should open up your lasers, as there's a solid chance they've begun to succumb to laser rot, and are therefore unwatchable. Many LD collectors are interested in the format for technical reasons, everything from truly uncompressed DTS soundtracks, to the color timing of the films, many of which have been endlessly tinkered with since the DVD age. If you want to see the original color timing on a lot of movies (particularly Disney flicks) LD was the best or only bet. A lot of LD collectors have put a lot of money into upgrading their equipment, buying filters and delacers and etc in order to clean up LD image. These guys want to WATCH their movies, not just collect plastic widgets (thanks per usual to @Robot Manfor the accurate terminology!)

VHS collectors tend to be a bit different, in that while some are still watching them, the fragility of tape makes them a dicey proposition for repeat viewings. Therefore, a lot of VHS collectors really are just there for the nostalgia, the artwork, etc, so collecting sealed makes sense. It's a similar hobby to video game collecting, in that if evokes memories of going down to the video/game store, browsing the aisles, renting a game to bring home, etc. Laser was always a niche product geared towards the home media nerd, as opposed to being a widely popular hobby. 

Edited by F For Fake

On 5/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, F For Fake said:

Per usual, I was too far ahead of the curve on this one. I was collecting piles of VHS and laser for years, but sold most of the VHS off a few years ago. I've been a home media collector since I was a teenager, jumping from VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to BD (with a brief stopover for HD-DVD) to 4K UHD. The VHS was purely a nostalgia exercise, as I was also a big horror collector at the time. Eventually I just couldn't justify the space taken up by a media product I was literally never going to watch again. When it comes to nostalgia exercises, I only have room for so many, so comics and toys had to win out over movies I would never watch. I still have about 500-600 BD's and UHDs, but I'll likely watch those again, as they are likely to be the last stop on the physical media train, and never look better than they do right now.

I still have a few lasers, as I love the oversize packaging and artwork, and there are a few titles, that never made it to DVD/etc. There is still a thriving LD collector community, but the overwhelming majority of laserdisc collectors STILL WATCH THEIR LD'S, and are therefore not interested in sealed copies. In fact, most LD collectors will tell you that you should open up your lasers, as there's a solid chance they've begun to succumb to laser rot, and are therefore unwatchable.

VHS collectors tend to be a bit different, in that while some are still watching them, the fragility of tape makes them a dicey proposition for repeat viewings. Therefore, a lot of VHS collectors really are just there for the nostalgia, the artwork, etc, so collecting sealed makes sense. It's a similar hobby to video game collecting, in that if evokes memories of going down to the video/game store, browsing the aisles, renting a game to bring home, etc. Laser was always a niche product geared towards the home media nerd, as opposed to being a widely popular hobby. 

Glad you already got your money out of, I can only imagine on the space it took, given the pics others have posted. Glad I didn't misremember too hardcore lol

On 5/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Glad you already got your money out of, I can only imagine on the space it took, given the pics others have posted. Glad I didn't misremember too hardcore lol

yeah, but if I held on, I could have gotten SO MUCH MORE MONEY. It's best to not think about it too much, I may faint. ha

VHS are great, I love 'em, but yeah, they are chunky and eat up major real estate on the shelf. I could fit three BD's on the shelf in the space one VHS tape would take up. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:49 AM, F For Fake said:

I still have a few lasers, as I love the oversize packaging and artwork, and there are a few titles, that never made it to DVD/etc. There is still a thriving LD collector community, but the overwhelming majority of laserdisc collectors STILL WATCH THEIR LD'S, and are therefore not interested in sealed copies. In fact, most LD collectors will tell you that you should open up your lasers, as there's a solid chance they've begun to succumb to laser rot, and are therefore unwatchable. Many LD collectors are interested in the format for technical reasons, everything from truly uncompressed DTS soundtracks, to the color timing of the films, many of which have been endlessly tinkered with since the DVD age. If you want to see the original color timing on a lot of movies (particularly Disney flicks) LD was the best or only bet. A lot of LD collectors have put a lot of money into upgrading their equipment, buying filters and delacers and etc in order to clean up LD image. These guys want to WATCH their movies, not just collect plastic widgets (thanks per usual to @Robot Manfor the accurate terminology!)

few questions

1 - what have you recently sold, that will be going up in price

2 - i loved hd-dvd, i thought it was a superior product to blu-ray (at least in the beginning)

3 - i wonder if CDs in their old carton packaging (long box) will be worth more in the future

On 5/9/2022 at 5:19 PM, Namtak said:

I remember one  boardie that would love this thread and probably the guy you were thinking of so.....lets summon @onlyweaknesskryptonite!!!oups i guess he already knew that thread !my bad but its fun using the summon card anyway(thumbsu20210308_215507.jpg.bbb0988d3fc819332ce739ab505e6410.jpg.a3c1da46d955fbab432b5de77dfae91a.jpg

I don't have much imagination to be scared, but I'm scared of what my card may be