• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does this seem a wee bit deceptive?
3 3

156 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2022 at 8:59 PM, Lightning55 said:

Importance is in the eyes of the beholder.  Some comics are drek.  Even a lot of minor "keys" are just a pinch better than the drek.

Hey, now, the Key Collector app clearly shows that every book ever published in the history of comics is a key worth speculating on, and they wouldn't lie to me! :insane:

On 5/11/2022 at 10:50 AM, Bookery said:

Hulk3.jpg

In the 70s when I was a kid, I clipped my MVSs out with the same amount of precision thinking "If I'm neat about it, it's not a big deal" :facepalm:

I'm serious, I actually conned myself into thinking it was ok as long as I was neat about it.  After all.... MVSs had "value"!

This book does present some vaguely philosophical questions about the current market, though. If I had a copy of Hulk 180 and surgically removed the Hulk from the bottom-right panel of the actual "page 16", would that copy be less desirable than this one? What if it was missing the entirely of some random non-Wolverine page? Even for raw books -- but obviously always for those that remain slabbed -- buyers aren't likely flipping open their Hulk 180s on a regular basis to stare at that one Wolverine panel. But is the value of the book the value of the book or just that tiny piece of it, one character in one panel, on one page?

On 5/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, Qalyar said:

That cutout page makes me think... isn't there some character whose first "appearance" is a cameo entirely in silhouette? One of the B-list DC villains, maybe?

There are many characters with a first brief appearance in silhouette and/or shadow and/or obscured in some other way. There are definitely no characters with a cameo in their first appearance, though.

On 5/13/2022 at 5:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

There are many characters with a first brief appearance in silhouette and/or shadow and/or obscured in some other way. There are definitely no characters with a cameo in their first appearance, though.

Asm 299?

On 5/13/2022 at 6:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

I think I was actually thinking of Killer Croc, who -- as I recall -- is named and has a speaking part in... whatever book that is, I forget, but appears essentially as a black silhouette under a trenchcoat. I do not DC enough to keep track of what is "considered" his first appearance.

On 5/13/2022 at 6:41 PM, The Meta said:
On 5/13/2022 at 6:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

There are many characters with a first brief appearance in silhouette and/or shadow and/or obscured in some other way.

Asm 299?

That one would be Web of Spider-Man 18. :wink:

On 5/13/2022 at 7:04 PM, Qalyar said:

I think I was actually thinking of Killer Croc, who -- as I recall -- is named and has a speaking part in... whatever book that is, I forget, but appears essentially as a black silhouette under a trenchcoat. I do not DC enough to keep track of what is "considered" his first appearance.

Yeah, Croc is definitely one of those shadowy first brief appearances.

Someone may have already posted this, but "Where in the World is Wolverine?"

Edit: "Where's Wolverine?" seemed even more obvious.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
"Where's Wolverine?"

On 5/16/2022 at 4:16 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Someone may have already posted this, but "Where in the World is Wolverine?"

Edit: "Where's Wolverine?" seemed even more obvious.

The first one makes me think he's off with Carmen Sandiego. 

On 5/16/2022 at 4:54 AM, Cat said:

The first one makes me think he's off with Carmen Sandiego. 

Yes, the "awesome" Carmen.

On 6/4/2022 at 9:56 AM, blazingbob said:

I'm still trying to find out who the "prominent" people in the hobby that CGC talked to.

I don't think I'm on the list yet.

Join the club.  40 years in the business.  Largest shop in the 7th largest state (by population).  I'm not on it either.