• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

By artist, what do you consider to be their masterpiece?
6 6

233 posts in this topic

I think I agree with larry on Cap 7 being Kirby's war-era topper. I really strongly considered Adventure 73, tho.

I agree that Weird-Science Fantasy 29 is Frank's best comic cover, but only because I don't count the paintings.

Kirby

It's labeled as Kirby/Roussos, so I hesitated posting.  While I'm partial to this one, it must have been real cool seeing this cover precisely as the comic book industry transitioned from horror to superheroes!  Really cool cover overall, but perhaps a masterpiece in light of the situation.  

image.jpeg.6a4985ca0aabb1c663aa4f33396ffb84.jpeg

Edited by Pantodude

On 5/14/2022 at 8:33 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if this was the case, then it would have been easy:  :fear::sick:

Liefeld:

I was thinking more along the lines of....

Caddy & Dino 1 Merge.jpg

On 5/15/2022 at 7:47 AM, KirbyJack said:

Impossible for me to pick a Kirby cover, so I'll just throw out one of his lesser-known showstoppers.

Bulls Eye (1954) comic books

Bullseye might be my favorite Kirby GA work. His earlier work IMHO always seemed sort of rushed, and he was just not at the height of his powers yet.especially for DC.

image.jpeg.42d52ce291e7317070d3e3326ab0efc4.jpeg

On 5/15/2022 at 9:33 AM, Ltpink2002 said:

LB Cole

GhostlyWeirdStories122.1.jpg

How timely and apropos as Heritage has a copy of this book coming up in their Sunday Auction ending in only a few hours from now:  (thumbsu

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/horror/ghostly-weird-stories-122-star-publications-1954-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-pages/a/122220-15312.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Ghostly Weird Stories #122 (Star Publications, 1954) CGC VG/FN 5.0 Off-white pages....

Still, no way as nice as your Cosmic Aeroplane copy that you posted up above, but for any boardies that might be interested in obtaining a copy of this L.B. Cole classic for their own personal collection.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 5/14/2022 at 11:30 PM, Larryw7 said:

Raboy

6244799.jpg

Well, I'll see your gorgeous Master 23 and raise you a classic Master 27:  :luhv:  

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Master Comics #27 (Fawcett, 1942) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white pages. Mac Raboy cover and art. Overstreet doesn't designate this Ca...

Must be a true toughie to find in grade as this is the highest graded copy image that I could find and it's from way back in 2003 and the CGC Census Population Reports indicates a total of only 14 graded Universal copies to this point in time.  :takeit: