• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

By artist, what do you consider to be their masterpiece?
6 6

233 posts in this topic

On 5/15/2022 at 8:43 PM, sfcityduck said:

Can I just say that I'm not surprised there's agreement that this was Krigstein's masterpiece.  I personally think the above page was one of the important pages of comic art ever.  I'm not surprised that Halperin has Hoovered it up.  (Shame on you Mitch for ever selling the story!  You should've kept that mannup forever!  Although I do agree with you its a bit depressing to hang on a wall.)  If anyone else can come up with a similar piece of art that is as significant and is as widely regarded as an artist's masterpiece I'd be really interested to know what it is.  Like I said, I've been racking my brain and I can't come up with another good choice  ... but these work for these artists, I think:

Torchy (comics) - Wikipedia

Bill Ward

And this by Leon Winik (who?):

image.jpeg.11d499bdad476edd74612d7416c7e686.jpeg

Great topic by the way.  Very interesing!

Halperin also owns the art for WSF #29. Probably a few other super keys as well. The rest of us can only dream…

On 5/16/2022 at 6:38 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I actually see your point with The Witch’s Mask. 

To take it a step further, when you raise your arms in the manner the bat woman is on that cover, your pectoral muscles stretch upward bringing the connective tissue north. Using that logic, that poor gal's mams must start around her belly button. :flamethrower:

On 5/16/2022 at 8:49 AM, Spyder! said:

7 pages and not one person has put up a Dan Zolnerowich cover. This makes me sad.

He has many great covers, but I would call this one his masterpiece.

778E9390-AF41-4F14-A742-17277E989639.jpeg

I had this one loaded, but had entered a bunch already. Didn't want to deter participation.

0 (5).jpg

On 5/16/2022 at 3:33 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

THAT’S Lily Renee??!!

As far as I know she just had her 101st birthday a few days ago. She also attended the 2007 SDCC. Not a great experience in comics at times either working with those GA “greats”….

“Renée’s mother saw an advertisement in the newspaper from comic book publisher Fiction House looking for artists. Renée had no knowledge of or interest in comic books, but she applied for the position in order to help her family. It was low-paying, unglamorous work, and Renée was uncomfortable working alongside the mostly male staff of Fiction House, many of whom would make crude comments to her, but she stuck with it out of necessity.”

On 5/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, Joshua33 said:

@Robot ManCOT17 is my personal favorite of the three, mainly because it's a sinister cover without gore. The power of the innuendo on this cover is rarely seen in this manner. 

Yeah, no wrong answers here. I still go with VOH. No gore and that look of astonishment and confusion. All set in a gay, happy situation. Just shocking. And Marie Severin just knocked it out if the park in the coloring department.

On 5/16/2022 at 6:53 AM, comicjack said:

How can anyone say something bad about that cover :ohnoez:

Not saying something bad about Suspense 3, and it is hard to identify any single masterpiece for Schomburg, but I'm in Cat's camp in loving the WWII Timely work the best.