• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to Report/Request Assistance with Possible Grading Error/Fake I Purchased?
4 4

69 posts in this topic

There's not being perfect and then there's not being perfect, you know?

@CGC Mike I know that "hey, let us know if you want a free label correction" is all CGC offers for this sort of thing, but there have been quite a few high profile slabbing errors lately, especially the UF4 mislabels. I don't know what I think you should do, but I think at the company level, there needs to be some consideration for dealing with third parties who, fundamentally, have been defrauded on the basis of incontrovertible CGC QA failures. There is no incentive (save morality) for current owners of these bad slabs to have them corrected, and a reholder doesn't make whole people who they mislead, potentially to the tune of hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

On 5/15/2022 at 2:19 PM, Axe Elf said:

Even if he could, that kind of misses the point.  If it has already been "certified" and "guaranteed" by, you know, a Certified Guarany Company or something, he shouldn't HAVE to go looking for evidence that the encapsulated book is not, in fact, the book certified and guaranteed to be encapsulated.

The idea of paying an objective, trusted third party to authenticate collectibles should be in order to trust their objectivity.

They don't actually "guarantee" anything, though.

On 5/15/2022 at 11:19 AM, Axe Elf said:

Even if he could, that kind of misses the point.  If it has already been "certified" and "guaranteed" by, you know, a Certified Guarany Company or something, he shouldn't HAVE to go looking for evidence that the encapsulated book is not, in fact, the book certified and guaranteed to be encapsulated.

The idea of paying an objective, trusted third party to authenticate collectibles should be in order to trust their objectivity.

No.

If I see a Superman 217 in a Spiderman 267 label, I'm not buying it.  If you don't know what book you are trying to buy, it is no ones fault but yours. 

If you bought it off ebay, return it. If you bought it from a dealer, return it and don't do any more business with him.

On 5/16/2022 at 12:31 PM, shadroch said:

If you don't know what book you are trying to buy, it is no ones fault but yours.

I am of the opinion that in at least some situations, it could also be the fault of the person (or company) that incorrectly labeled its packaging.

On 5/16/2022 at 10:36 AM, Axe Elf said:

I am of the opinion that in at least some situations, it could also be the fault of the person (or company) that incorrectly labeled its packaging.

If you are buying a label. Don't buy labels.

If CGC accidently put a 9.8 grade on a book that was obviously a 3.0, would you blame CGC if someone bought it and paid stupid money for it because it says 9.8?

On 5/16/2022 at 12:42 PM, shadroch said:

If CGC accidently put a 9.8 grade on a book that was obviously a 3.0, would you blame CGC if someone bought it and paid stupid money for it because it says 9.8?

I would absolutely hold CGC responsible for their error, and to the extent that their error contributed to damages incurred by a consumer, they would be responsible for those damages as well.

On 5/16/2022 at 11:22 AM, Axe Elf said:

I would absolutely hold CGC responsible for their error, and to the extent that their error contributed to damages incurred by a consumer, they would be responsible for those damages as well.

Future damages, as well as pain and suffering.  The offended party may end up owning the company.

On 5/15/2022 at 10:04 PM, Qalyar said:

There's not being perfect and then there's not being perfect, you know?

@CGC Mike I know that "hey, let us know if you want a free label correction" is all CGC offers for this sort of thing, but there have been quite a few high profile slabbing errors lately, especially the UF4 mislabels. I don't know what I think you should do, but I think at the company level, there needs to be some consideration for dealing with third parties who, fundamentally, have been defrauded on the basis of incontrovertible CGC QA failures. There is no incentive (save morality) for current owners of these bad slabs to have them corrected, and a reholder doesn't make whole people who they mislead, potentially to the tune of hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

At one point @CGC Mike responded to one of my comments suggesting that CGC has an announcement in the works regarding that.  Sadly, it appears that comment has since been removed (or I searched the wrong forum topic).  I legitimately can't speak out enough about the potential erosion of trust between consumer and CGC the longer this goes and the more errors pop up.  It not only destroys faith in grading of current books, but also those of all prior books.  I say this with all due respect, but CGC needs to get its $#!t together.

Edited by ExNihilo

• Administrator
On 5/17/2022 at 11:23 PM, ExNihilo said:

At one point @CGC Mike responded to one of my comments suggesting that CGC has an announcement in the works regarding that.  Sadly, it appears that comment has since been removed (or I searched the wrong forum topic).  I legitimately can't speak out enough about the potential erosion of trust between consumer and CGC the longer this goes and the more errors pop up.  It not only destroys faith in grading of current books, but also those of all prior books.  I say this with all due respect, but CGC needs to get its $#!t together.

I do not remove comments that I make.  I know an announcement is coming real soon regarding QC.  

On 5/18/2022 at 8:27 AM, Sigur Ros said:

It's the entire web page of what they guarantee. 

The only thing they "guarantee" is that it is "inspected" by multiple people and that it is "authentic".

Almost anyone can make these guarantees, which is why it's tantamount "guaranteeing" nothing.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

The only thing they "guarantee" is that it is "inspected" by multiple people and that it is "authentic".

Almost anyone can make these guarantees, which is why it's tantamount "guaranteeing" nothing.

As I said... They should.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:47 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hello

If you are looking to have the label corrected, I recommend you contact customer service.  Here is how you can get in touch with them.

Mike

1-877-NM-COMIC
(1 877 662 6642) toll free
941 360 3991

service@cgccomics.com

Mike, I'm afraid that's a disappointing response. I tagged you in on this because a first time buyer of a CGC slabbed comic ended up with a book worth a small fraction of what was labeled because of an error at your end. I don't think a new label makes the OP whole.

On 5/18/2022 at 8:44 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

What "should" they guarantee? 

That a label would reflect the book its encapsulated with. 

Seems like a good start. 

On 5/18/2022 at 8:50 AM, AJD said:

Mike, I'm afraid that's a disappointing response. I tagged you in on this because a first time buyer of a CGC slabbed comic ended up with a book worth a small fraction of what was labeled because of an error at your end. I don't think a new label makes the OP whole.

He needs to be taking this up with the seller if he wants to be made whole. 

CGC can fix a label but they can't change the book inside. 

On 5/15/2022 at 1:51 AM, Ryan1983 said:

Do people even like these CGC errors? 

I can only speak for me, but yes. 

There is at least one thread (here) devoted to them. My favorite thread on the internet. 

Is there a market for their gaffes? 

Depends. 

Upside down books and books with missing covers that weren't caught, are definitely desired by some. 

Incorrect labels and misgrades, not so much. 

Edited by Sigur Ros