• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC's Absolute books

17 posts in this topic

Any idea what DC might be publishing in the future in this format? Besides Hush, Planetary, Crisis and the LXGs, that is. Any annoucements made?

Got the Watchmen book as a gift, and its darn snazzy. I've been saving buying and reading Sandman for a rainy day, and I'd love to read it in this sort of oversized format. Toss the 75 issues and assorted important minis into 6 or 7 volumes, I'd shell out $300-$400 for that. =)

I picked up World's Greatest Superheroes in Absolute(actually have 2 copies, 1 still in wrapping). Something tells me they are suppose to do this for "V for Vendetta". I would personally, love a DKR or Arkham Asylum Absolute if they every made it.

Aside from Absolute Crisis, scheduled to ship on November 30, there haven't been any additional Absolute editions announced. Warren Ellis has said that there will definitely be a second Absolute Planetary after the series is completed.

However, the 8th Annual DC Archives survey had the following results when asking people what they felt should be the next DC series to get the Absolute treatment.

http://www.comicsarchives.org/Survey2006.htm

Chroni3.gif

A fairly clean victory is evident in the Absolute Editions selection, Darwin Cooke's New Frontier with 27% of the vote. A collection of Jack Kirby's Fourth World material also was well-received (23% of the vote), though given the fact that the artist in question is deceased, the extras might be difficult to reconstruct. Camelot 3000, a DC Maxi-Series from the 1980's snags third place despite not being in in print for nearly 20 years.

Hopefully DC will notice. Absolute: DC The New Frontier and Absolute Kingdom Come get my vote. Absolute Camelot 3000 is an interesting choice.

Kev

No mention of Sandman eh? Ah well, guess I'll just break down and get the 11 or so volumes in HC some day soon.

New Frontiers would be nice, but having read that so recently, I wouldn't really be all that for it. Kingdom Come I'd buy though!

Yeah, Absolute Kingdom Come. Would be nice for them to drop that on the 10th Anniversary. Camelot 3000 was a favorite of mine. Was surprised/delighted to see Ronin and Swamp Thing up there but no V for Vendetta. Hmmm...could have sworn that I saw that on listing somewhere....oh, well.

would love to see an absolute Camelot 3k.

have had absolutely no luck getting the single issues since i got back into comics.

i remember it was all the rage when it came out...

would love to see an absolute Camelot 3k.

have had absolutely no luck getting the single issues since i got back into comics.

I've sold a couple of complete sets for pennies apiece. frown.gif

Surprising there's not more demand for that one; it's such a great story, way ahead of its time. I remember taking a "King Arthur in Literature" class as an undergraduate...we read all the literary mainstays...Malory, Twain, the french romances, etc...and capped off the class with Camelot 3000, which, despite being a comic guy, I'd never read before. Really great. That was my inspiration for teaching comics someday, which I now do. wink.gif

The most amazing thing about Camelot 3000 is that the lesbian subplot is really sensitively done, and raises a lot of thought-provoking questions about gender roles, identity, etc.

And Arthur battling it out with space aliens is pretty cool. tongue.gif

I totally forgot about the lesbian stuff till I reread it this year. Brian Bolland's art recolored with modern technology could be quite eye-opening.

Ronin is interesting, too. The way the corporation bulding progressively spreads over time in those double-splashes would look even more impressive.

But for a first choice New Frontiers would be mine. It's just awesome and actually deserves to be printed big.

BTW "Darkness" on the results page is "The Great Darkness Saga" that ran in Legion of Super-heroes.

Would love to see that. thumbsup2.gif

diiiito. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

of course, i'd like to see Ronin, too, which is a confusingly underappreciated series IMHO