• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite single comic book of all time?

94 posts in this topic

You know, even though I'm an MLJ collector I'd have to say Uncle Scrooge 15.."The Second Richest Duck". That story has always stuck with me from reading it as a kid.After that it would be Brave and the Bold 28.

yeahok.gif Thank you for NOT saying Top-Notch #31...

GI Joe ... 26-27.

893applaud-thumb.gif

The Origin of Snake Eyes! I remember waiting forever for those issues to come out ... and then getting a call one day after school from a buddy who said that the drugstore one 'burb over had copies in stock. I don't think I begged my mom that hard for a ride ever again! (As an aside, Dan, you're like the third prominent collector to mention GI Joe as a childhood favorite -- West Stephan and Matt Nelson have also told of their early forays with GI Joe comics. It's nice to know I'm in the same collecting category as you illuminaries. insane.gif)

Oh yeah, and to answer the thread question: Fantastic Four Annual #17. The best mystery in a comic book ever.

You know, even though I'm an MLJ collector I'd have to say Uncle Scrooge 15.."The Second Richest Duck". That story has always stuck with me from reading it as a kid.After that it would be Brave and the Bold 28.

yeahok.gif Thank you for NOT saying Top-Notch #31...

And thank you for not saying Strange Adventure # ninety-fi....... foreheadslap.gif

This question seems to be joined at the hip to the question Brad asked in his

Early comic memories thread. The earliest memories often turn out to be a persons favorite all time comic as well.

Such is the case with me, after stewing, flip flopping, waffling all over the palce. I could not turn my back on the copy of ASM King Size #9 I bought and read as a kid... and still own today. My all time fav comic.

Perhaps we should alter the thread and allow 2 comics?

Your personal all time favorite.

And what comic you think is the best you have ever read.

(not to say it still wont be the same book)

I just felt like a homer when I ended up going with my heart and choosing the ASM book.

Ze-

Fantastic Four Annual #6

30949298416.6.GIF

Lee and Kirby at their absolute best in a story of how far Reed, Ben, and Johnny will go to save Sue and the birth of Franklin. Just an outstanding comic through and through... cloud9.gif

EDIT:

Another comic occurred to me after writing the above...

Marvels #2

52206661020.2.GIF

I'm not the weepy type but no comic moved me more on an emotional level than this issue. The little mutant girl in the cellar. Those looking for a story that illustrates the Marvel Mutant racial problem, talked about to death in the core X-titles but never clearly addressed in a manner that makes you care and understand, need look no further than this comic. If I was the weepy type...this issue would have had me in tears. Busiek hasn't written a better story since and Ross' visuals are gorgeous...

Jim

i tend to think of books that had IMPACT on me (and the comic universe, for that matter).

the following four are perhaps boring and obvious for many, but if you got your first glance at them on the racks, back in the day, you'd understand................. cloud9.gif

in no particular order;

AF 15

FF 4

Flash 123

Avengers 4

and i still have each one of them................. grin.gif

52206661020.2.GIF

I'm not the weepy type but no comic moved me more on an emotional level than this issue. The little mutant girl in the cellar. Those looking for a story that illustrates the Marvel Mutant racial problem, talked about to death in the core X-titles but never clearly addressed in a manner that makes you care and understand, need look no further than this comic. If I was the weepy type...this issue would have had me in tears. Busiek hasn't written a better story since and Ross' visuals are gorgeous...

Jim

I'm going to have to check that out. Sounds very very interesting.

Red

My first post, hi everybody smile.gif

As a kid I basically just read Archie comics and never had exposure to the superhero ones. When I discovered the kind of indie comic shops around downtown near the local university I fell in love, but I was 100% on my own with finding stuff. That day I discovered Strangers in Paradise, Bone, Milk & Cheese, Leave it to Chance (still some of my fave comics) but the first thing that stood out to me was-

ag10.jpg

It was a comic anthology series edited by Sarah Dyer, with all stories created by women. From "MRE Blues" to "The Adventures of Pezgal" and especially Stephanie Gladden's (who's done everything from Looney Tunes to the Simpsons and now does characters at Cartoon Network) "Sushi Lesson", it was one of the coolest and fun things I've ever read.

In the back of every issue there's also lists of D.I.Y. projects you can do, and this issue was one of the main things that inspired me to start my own 'zine when I was 14, which started off my love of journalism. Basically to me it's a super comic, and it'll always be really special to me.