• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite single comic book of all time?

94 posts in this topic

In the back of every issue there's also lists of D.I.Y. projects you can do, and this issue was one of the main things that inspired me to start my own 'zine when I was 14, which started off my love of journalism. Basically to me it's a super comic, and it'll always be really special to me.

Cool!

It's too tough to narrow it down so I'm just going to go with the first thing that came to mind. Detective 438. My first Batman comic. I still have it, though not the cover. 100-pager, great mystery story with Aparo drawing great sheets of rain. Hints of the Ras al Ghul mythos. Manhunter by Simonson. Amazing reprints.

I am tempted to go with Avengers 177 though--best Avengers issue ever!

Marc

I'm going to have to check that out. Sounds very very interesting.

Red

One of the best mini series ever. And a dime a dozen on Ebay.

Correlation? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

90's Over printing.

Having tried to read Marvels on more than a couple of occasions (after being introduced to Ross' artwork with Kingdom Come), I still am unable to get through it.

In addition to overprinting, I wonder if there were a decent number of folks in the same boat as myself that simply couldn't get into it after buying it for the art only... confused-smiley-013.gif

Having tried to read Marvels on more than a couple of occasions (after being introduced to Ross' artwork with Kingdom Come), I still am unable to get through it.

In addition to overprinting, I wonder if there were a decent number of folks in the same boat as myself that simply couldn't get into it after buying it for the art only... confused-smiley-013.gif

Have you tried to start off with book 2?

If you're not very steeped in Golden Age Timely, book 1 might be hard to get into. Still seeing a younger J Jonah Jameson is worth it.

Have you tried to start off with book 2?

If you're not very steeped in Golden Age Timely, book 1 might be hard to get into. Still seeing a younger J Jonah Jameson is worth it.

I got the collected edition and "started" with each book. Since I'm pretty well versed in Marvel lore, I thought I'd like it. Perhaps I know too much, since I found Kingdom Come infinitely more enjoyable and I know little about the DCU.

If I had to pick one single issue it would be Swamp Thing #21.

If I can pick a run that has been collected, I'd pick Watchmen.

Otherwise known as "The Anatomy Lesson" ....

Great cover by Yeates

The story would get a lot of my vote for best single comic book story ever written.

However......

I will always have a soft spot in me for Marvel and DC Present X-Men and New Teen Titans #1

IMO the best one shot ever and my favorite comic story in a single book.

For story arc.... Days of Future Past from Marvel and the Newcastle Storyline from Hellblazer for DC.

Another great single issue, IMO was Issue #13 of Sandman. The one where he meets up with Hobbs (who defies Death) every 50-100 years at a pub to discuss what each has been doing.

Since other are talking "arcs" - I'll add Seasons of Mist to the list. Watchmen, of course. Dangerous Habits. And, the best ever, Olympus. cloud9.gif