• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite single comic book of all time?

94 posts in this topic

My favorite comic story of all time is Carl Barks' classic "Christmas for Shacktown" in Four Color #367. The social commentary of this story was something that was not lost on a small child (me) and i will never forget it. I read my dad's copy until it fell apart. If i had to pick a close second it would be "Master Race" from EC's first issue of Impact. Krigstein was a true master.

But my favorite comic that I own is the back story to Simpsons Comics #1. It's a spoof horror comic called Bart Simpson's Creepy Crawly Tales.

sc01back.gif

The story is entitled "The Collector" and is about a collector with a fabulous collection who is driven mad by the hand of fate. I read it several times a year.

As a big Simpsons fan, Bongo Comics were the first comics I collected. I'm sure that has something to do with it. Plus, I just love the story.

Is that the one where the collector has to burn his collection to stay alive and then goes nuts?

But my favorite comic that I own is the back story to Simpsons Comics #1. It's a spoof horror comic called Bart Simpson's Creepy Crawly Tales.

sc01back.gif

The story is entitled "The Collector" and is about a collector with a fabulous collection who is driven mad by the hand of fate. I read it several times a year.

As a big Simpsons fan, Bongo Comics were the first comics I collected. I'm sure that has something to do with it. Plus, I just love the story.

Is that the one where the collector has to burn his collection to stay alive and then goes nuts?

SPOILER ALERT! makepoint.giftongue.gif

Regardless of the value, I'd probably have to say Giant Size X-men #1. I had reprints of the books and never thought I'd actually own an original (though I finally do have a decent VF issue). Just a great story of off-the-wall characters (we take it for granted now due to how long they've been together). Art was pretty nice and it was a very thick book! On the flip side, I never understood the big deal about X-men 94. I guess it's popular for the first continuity new X-men but I wasn't a fan of the story as much.

Skybolt, I'm a big fan of Infinity Gauntlet #4 too! Both #4 and #5. Just plain cheesy fun and excitement and a GREAT cover.

Had to break it down by category:

Favorite DC: Weird Secret Origins #1

Favorite EC: Weird Science #12 (#1)

Favorite Marvel: Strange Tales #146 (last Ditko Dr. Strange)

Favorite Graphic Novel: Dr. Strange & Dr. Doom: Triumph & Torment

Favorite Underground: Lowest Comic Denominator #1 (Keiron Dwyer)

Favorite Indie Comic: Flaming Carrot Comics #4 (1st series)

Let's say you can only have ONE comic book. You can't sell it or trade it, so throw "value" out the window. I'm sure this has been done before, but what's your single favorite comic book of all time?

I'll begin. Mine is "Strange Adventures #95, from 1958".

74_1_b.JPG

I was probably about 8 years old and I had a coverless copy of this book. I probably read it 50 times! If I'd ever go through my junk and find it, I'd pull it out and read it again. I pictured myself as being the "Boy who Saved the Solar System" when I was young. Just an great book! Just within the last month I finally purchased a nice copy; it's weird to read the book with white pages and especially a cover!

Yours?

Great question...but to me this is like saying...'What's the meaning of Life?'

I'll get back to you on this...but as Titus Oates once said, when he left Captain Scott's tent...."I may be some time" popcorn.gif

well, I'm a big TPB graphic novel collector and I have A LOT of favorite single volumes. But my all-time favorite for high adventure and superb artwork is the TITAN BOOKS Volume # 1 of Slaine the Beserker. Story is by Pat Mills and just gorgeous "tribal realism" (Mills's own description) artwork by Mike McMahon. McMahon does some amazing splash pages that would make Kirby proud.

In one instance Slaine is faced with 5-6 crossbow warriors ready to bolt him up in a tavern. Quick as spit, Slaine grabs a bar room table and holds it sideways as a shield and charges the henchmen. It's just bad-[embarrassing lack of self control]. Bolts are digging into the table wood, but Slaine is unaffected and charges on to smash into the evil-doers.

Has anyone here read this most excellent tome? Oh gawd - Slaine mops up the floor with Conan anyday in my opinion.

http://www.2000ad.nu/mcmahon/img/slcov.jpg

Final issue of the Watchmen, followed by Hulk 141, Tec 474 (yes, someone mentioned it previously - good call) and Avengers Annual 7.

Non-mainstream would be David Boring by Dan Clowes.

And kudos to the man who opted for Tintin. Technically those books were the first comics I ever read, and I still think they're masterpieces.

I've always liked this one... It's not the greatest story in the world or even the greatest art. As a kid, I just liked the format. It was larger than life.

If you're just talking about content, the Alan Moore/Frank Miller writing is what I remember. (I'd choose writing over art any day of the week.)

supespidey1.jpg

The issue of Savage Sword of Conan where Conan met his identical twin, Konar, and they battled each other for Konar's kingdom. Conan assumes Konar's role as an imposter king, and rules Konar's lands, palaces, and wife before the final showdown.