• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite single comic book of all time?

94 posts in this topic

I'd also like to add the following comic to the discussion...

Hulk #344

41319167562.344.GIF

If there was ever a more "real" discussion between comic characters than this issue, I'm all ears. The exchange between the Hulk and Betty at the end is pure delight. Bendis has been mentioned as having the best "ear" for dialogue for Marvel characters. Nothing he's done comes close to Peter David's writing here...

Jim

have that one Johnebock, that one, the deadman one, Dr. Occult etc. Those were great.

I have 'em all and love to reread the PS,. Spectre, Power Girl, Dr. Fates etc. every now and then. Some of the better stuff from DC back then. And, you can just abbreviate my sig. and call me John or any other 4 letter word for that matter. Don't want anyone getting carpal tunnel. Oh, if you like PS issue 72 of DC Comics Presents has a decent story with Supes and Joker and PS. cloud9.gif

Personal opinion. I cannot think of any Neil Gaiman Sandman that is bad. Weird huh?

I'd agree. The series lost a little steam towards the end, IMO. But, it is still one of the best comics ever. Most of the stories were just magical. Fantastic stuff.

Regarding Sandman, the first 20 issues or so are truly great, but it lost me after that. The Daniel stuff and the Endless did nothing for me.

But I agree, that issue (#13?) by Gaiman and Zulli about the meeting of Morpheus and Hobbs every 100 years is one of my favorite stories, in comics or otherwise.

As a kid I read the reprints of the early Ditko/Lee/Romita ASM's and fell in love with them. cloud9.gif In ~1982 I bought the earliest issue of ASM I could afford that was in decent condition. I ended up with ASM #28 in VF condition. The first appearance of the Molton man. I treasure it to this day.

Cost= $14 Canadian. yay.gif

It's too tough to narrow it down so I'm just going to go with the first thing that came to mind. Detective 438. My first Batman comic. I still have it, though not the cover. 100-pager, great mystery story with Aparo drawing great sheets of rain. Hints of the Ras al Ghul mythos. Manhunter by Simonson. Amazing reprints.

gossip.gif Greggy has a 9.2 up for sale. Cheap.

My favorite is from that same Archie Goodwin era run:

tec443.jpg

What makes this my winner is the shear volume of great material between the two covers of a single comic. Not necessarily the favorite story (although the Simonson-illustrated "Gotterdammerung" would likely make my Top 10), but look at the reprints you get on top of the lead story:

- a Jerry Robinson Golden Age Batman & Robin

- the Steve Ditko Creeper origin

- Golden Age Spectre story

- an Alex Toth Golden Age Green Lantern

...for all those reasons, this book is my perennial answer to the question: "what single comic book would be your stranded-on-a-desert-island choice?"

Check out the splash/contents page:

tec_splash.jpg

It's too tough to narrow it down so I'm just going to go with the first thing that came to mind. Detective 438. My first Batman comic. I still have it, though not the cover. 100-pager, great mystery story with Aparo drawing great sheets of rain. Hints of the Ras al Ghul mythos. Manhunter by Simonson. Amazing reprints.

gossip.gif Greggy has a 9.2 up for sale. Cheap.

Damn, that is cheap! At least at the moment. I have a really nice copy from the Harley-found uncirculated bronze collection. OTOH, another copy would be pleasant. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I bought that comic from the newstand and must've read it a dozen times. A personal favorite too. That Manhunter finale was way ahead of its' time.

[spoiler alert]

They even kept him dead for a few years.

This is a really random comic, but I loved it and was mad after I traded it (I don't know why I did that). When I started getting back into comics this was one of the first that I bought.

Detective Annual #3

ann3.gif

(If I can find it tonight I will get a higher resolution picture)