• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finding/Buying A Collection: The Imagination Stage
3 3

112 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2022 at 1:31 AM, comicginger1789 said:

I think it depends where you are. Rural areas are where ya need to go. Any major city, yeah I feel enough collectors exist there and have found stuff like that. Cities where there are 20000-75000 people are the ones I think still hold some treasures

I'm about to take an interstate holiday to a isolated regional area over here known as Tasmania. The small city we are staying in has a shop which sells back issues. Fingers crossed I find some gold :wishluck:

On 6/27/2022 at 10:02 AM, MattrixAlien said:

I'm about to take an interstate holiday to a isolated regional area over here known as Tasmania. The small city we are staying in has a shop which sells back issues. Fingers crossed I find some gold :wishluck:

Good Luck!

My guess? Scores of British Commando Comics, Battle Picture Library and War Picture Library.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:06 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

Good Luck!

My guess? Scores of British Commando Comics, Battle Picture Library and War Picture Library.

As well as three Phantom comics numbered in the 800s, all about VG- and two WDC issues, 358 and 363, both missing the back page. And a 1979 Richie Rich, if you're lucky. At least that was my experience of comic back issues in Tasmania.

On 6/26/2022 at 10:06 PM, AJD said:

As well as three Phantom comics numbered in the 800s, all about VG- and two WDC issues, 358 and 363, both missing the back page. And a 1979 Richie Rich, if you're lucky. At least that was my experience of comic back issues in Tasmania.

You devil!

You never know.

I work part time at a lcs and a collection of three long boxes had come in.

All books were not boarded and we're placed into ziplock sandwich bags with 5 or 6 books to a bag.

A lot of DC war and Sad Sacks. In fact a lot and my boss just glimpse and saw these.

I said I'll pull the books out and really look at the collection.

A Ziploc bag had 5 HOS and one of the books was a 92. So thought there was hope in this collection.

Sample of the keys pulled from this 650 book collection.

Screenshot_20220626-221235.thumb.png.674f7004095feb65d36207dcd8ebeb89.png

On 6/27/2022 at 3:21 PM, southern cross said:

You never know.

I work part time at a lcs and a collection of three long boxes had come in.

All books were not boarded and we're placed into ziplock sandwich bags with 5 or 6 books to a bag.

A lot of DC war and Sad Sacks. In fact a lot and my boss just glimpse and saw these.

I said I'll pull the books out and really look at the collection.

A Ziploc bag had 5 HOS and one of the books was a 92. So thought there was hope in this collection.

Sample of the keys pulled from this 650 book collection.

Screenshot_20220626-221235.thumb.png.674f7004095feb65d36207dcd8ebeb89.png

Please I'm trying to keep my expectations low :nyah:

On 6/26/2022 at 10:24 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Please I'm trying to keep my expectations low :nyah:

Just saying you never know.

My boss rolled his eyes at me when I said cool a collection, then jokingly said there's maybe a hulk 181 which he replied no there won't be.

He was right but wow, only 5 spideys and one is a 129. The HOS 92 went home with me.

But have to admit most books that does come in a pfftt

On 6/27/2022 at 3:29 PM, southern cross said:

Just saying you never know.

My boss rolled his eyes at me when I said cool a collection, then jokingly said there's maybe a hulk 181 which he replied no there won't be.

He was right but wow, only 5 spideys and one is a 129. The HOS 92 went home with me.

But have to admit most books that does come in a pfftt

Still, this thread is about the imagination stage of the hunt. An ASM129 like the one shown is an absolute grail for me. (First Swamp Thing & Ghost Rider would be amazing too) I remember someone on the boards describing the incredible quiet moment when you are digging through a bin and find a dream book. The adrenaline rush would be off the charts :cloud9: 

Edited by MattrixAlien

On 6/27/2022 at 3:40 PM, MattrixAlien said:

Still, this thread is about the imagination stage of the hunt. An ASM129 like the one shown is an absolute grail for me. (First Swamp Thing & Ghost Rider would be amazing too) I remember someone on the boards describing the incredible quiet moment when you are digging through a bin and find a dream book. The adrenaline rush would be off the charts :cloud9: 

The thing is, southern cross's books came to him, at the LCS. Unexamined/unsorted.

What's the likelihood that a store's stock is similarly unchecked?

On 6/27/2022 at 3:06 PM, AJD said:

Well, I'm back from my Tassie holiday. Lovely scenery with great locally produced food. Despite my wife's complaints I still went to visit the store with the comics, albeit with a limited time window. Duffman_Comics & AJD you guys were spot on with your prediction of piles of of War Comics, Phantoms etc (thumbsu There were no big keys either. However there was a neat run of late Bronze/Copper X-men books including some minor keys missing from my PC. Found some cardboard to bring them back safely on the plane. See some covers below...

The bitter sweet imagination stage ending to my little comic adventure is that after I paid for the books and turned to leave the owner said he had some more X-men books out back & would I like to look at them. Could there be a UXM266? I was already pushed for time so I had to decline :frown:

UXM173.thumb.jpg.4902d8e9ef884aa00d817f6467601990.jpg

This is such a cool Wolverine X-men cover which I've wanted for a while. 1st storm with new costume/mohawk. Origin Silver Samurai.

UXM191.thumb.jpg.57fccf70f48b982ec3af3c31c20b6c9a.jpg

1st Nimrod

UXM239.thumb.jpg.e9cfd864b9d9301e5a34a34a6e809ffb.jpg

2nd appearance Mr Sinister & 1st cover. Loved the dark Inferno event arc as a kid and this is one of the few books I was missing. Sharp copy too.

Edited by MattrixAlien

This is part of a collection of books that walked into the shop about 4 years ago.  All books were unbagged and boarded in a large rubbermaid container.  Some were just jammed down the sides to fill it up.  This is the only time I've bought a collection that had just the Hulk 181, no 180, no 182.  Just about 5 total Hulks in the 600 books or so we bought.  There was also a Werewolf by Night 32 that graded out 9.2. The Hulk 181 was about an 8.0 raw, after a press and sub it came back 9.6. Great collection!

AHBO6494.JPG

56011635801__A7104AB7-F6AC-454E-990B-56B4CEE055A9.JPG

IMG_6685.jpg

Edited by Monster's Lair Comics
more pics