• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cleaning and pressing? Have CGC do it or someone else?

23 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 9:22 AM, Alan Gray said:

Is it better to have CGC press and clean or have an outside party press and clean and then send to CGC? Is it faster? Cheaper? I’m still new to the whole slabbed comic world 

Use someone else. CCS is expensive, slow and cares more about quantity than quality. 

On 5/26/2022 at 1:55 PM, comicginger1789 said:

CGC are quick pressers...if it is a book from 1990 to now, sure using CGC is probably fine and they will eliminate most of the flaws.

For higher value older books, I would invest some money and time into finding someone with proven experience

248 days is fast?

On 5/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, gregwynn said:

248 days is fast?

Yes, as the more common vintage comic category used to take 484 business days. Success means slower turnaround times (22 months including pressing backlog time).

On 5/26/2022 at 2:28 PM, gregwynn said:

248 days is fast?

I think quick press refers to a specific method of pressing where you just throw the book in the press for 1-2 rounds since it usually doesn't have any flaws that need special attention. It refers to the amount of time the pressing itself takes, not the turnaround time.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:22 AM, Alan Gray said:

Is it better to have CGC press and clean or have an outside party press and clean and then send to CGC? Is it faster? Cheaper? I’m still new to the whole slabbed comic world 

CGC's wait time and price is similar to the best in the industry. I used both them and an outside party and the results for modern books were comparative. So in the end, it's more about convenience. Do you want to deal with 2 different companies to get your books pressed and graded or 1.

As others said though,  if it's an older book, with issues like spine rolls or deep creases, I would go with a proven third party.

Edited by William-James88

I can tell you this... 

I sent in a TMNT 1 to be pressed/graded.  While it was there, a signing was announced.  When I received it back, it still had some pressable waviness in the upper left corner.  So I sent it right back in for the signing and another press.  It came back with the same waviness. 

I've seen a couple people online claim their books were never pressed while at CGC, with very convincing photos, and I'm pretty sure the same goes for mine.  

Just my experience, and in fairness maybe they just forgot... twice... but I would strongly recommend you find someone else. 

Someone who will do what you're paying them to do. 

On 5/27/2022 at 7:00 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I can tell you this... 

I sent in a TMNT 1 to be pressed/graded.  While it was there, a signing was announced.  When I received it back, it still had some pressable waviness in the upper left corner.  So I sent it right back in for the signing and another press.  It came back with the same waviness. 

I've had this happen with other pressers too (coming back with a flaw that wasnt pressed as I'd imagine). I am no expert, so I simply assumed that some defects arent as pressable as I thought. 

On 5/27/2022 at 4:00 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I can tell you this... 

I've seen a couple people online claim their books were never pressed while at CGC, with very convincing photos, and I'm pretty sure the same goes for mine.  

Just my experience, and in fairness maybe they just forgot... twice... but I would strongly recommend you find someone else. 

Someone who will do what you're paying them to do. 

This is similar to my experience. Used CCS and my high-value book came back with none of the pressable defects — a very minor finger bend, non-color breaking spine ticks, a light ripple — pressed out. I’m convinced that they never even pressed it.

Merchant accepting payment and not performing the agreed upon service is Fraud. 

Unrelated to Criminal Fraud:

What many do not realize is that the merchant bears all cost responsibility  when a cardholder files a credit card dispute. Win or lose the dispute the merchant is on the hook for the dispute expense.  How much they pay is based on the amount of business they do with Mastercard/Visa/AMEX etc.  If all who believe they were not provided the service for which they paid opened a dispute with their Card Issuer eventually (probably) something will be done and the Merchant will need to start to do things "better".  

Edited by MAR1979

I am so glad i found these message boards early. i only sent one package of 10 books to CGC for pressing and grading. i think i learned to go with an outside presser from now on. I found a good one who will submit it straight to CGC. Cheaper than CCS so i can use the savings to fast track my submissions. Thanks for the information people!! Us Noobs really appreciate it!!:manhero:

On 6/13/2022 at 7:24 AM, Alan Gray said:

I am so glad i found these message boards early. i only sent one package of 10 books to CGC for pressing and grading. i think i learned to go with an outside presser from now on. I found a good one who will submit it straight to CGC. Cheaper than CCS so i can use the savings to fast track my submissions. Thanks for the information people!! Us Noobs really appreciate it!!:manhero:

Please let us know the results when you get your books back. 

On 6/13/2022 at 4:23 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

yes I know this post opens the door to a bunch of memes but thought I'd ask anyway

Memes?  Fork memes.  I got video straight from the source...

On 6/17/2022 at 8:03 PM, Mr.Fantastic said:

Anyone know (CFP) Joey's current turn around times??

8-9 months or thereabouts, although I know he believes he's over a hump and TATs will improve. Seriously, right now the pressing industry is backlogged pretty much anywhere you want to use.

As far as CCS goes, I had them press some books that had really ugly bends due to distributor stupidity, and those came back happily 9.8 with no sign anything had ever been wrong. But I don't think I'd use them for anything really irreplaceable; I don't think they're a bad service by any means, but I want more individualized care for books that warrant it.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:57 PM, Qalyar said:

8-9 months or thereabouts, although I know he believes he's over a hump and TATs will improve. Seriously, right now the pressing industry is backlogged pretty much anywhere you want to use.

As far as CCS goes, I had them press some books that had really ugly bends due to distributor stupidity, and those came back happily 9.8 with no sign anything had ever been wrong. But I don't think I'd use them for anything really irreplaceable; I don't think they're a bad service by any means, but I want more individualized care for books that warrant it.

Thanks.

Oh well, may as well send them in, they're just going to sit in a box for that time anyway.  Might as well put them to work.