• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Six Figure Club
11 11

253 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2023 at 7:08 PM, DC# said:

Went for $520k.   Two more books for the list out of Hakes (which seemed surprisingly strong for a lot of books) 

AsM 1 9.6 for $520.4k

AF 15 7.5 for $170.8k

IMG_3645.thumb.jpeg.31d4cd12bd3cc977d5393cc2bd28c661.jpeg
IMG_3643.thumb.jpeg.f7fefd80938c8658c7392854ef52a693.jpeg

That’s the thing with these books in the top grades… like I said you get the 2 right bidders, 2 people who have endless money and want the best copy that’s currently on the market and off you go. Still would have never guessed 520k. Good for the seller though, he was posting on Reddit about his dad passing, and selling to help his family during hardship. Glad he got a good price.

Edited by wiparker824

From the man himself..

I actually did not sell an ASM #1 9.6 for $650 but I did offer the Curator at that price 2 years ago.

The Nov 2022 sale of an ASM #1 9.6 was cheap and I stated that openly when it sold.

The winning bidder ended up flipping the book for FAR MORE shortly after it sold.

$330K was always too cheap for an ASM #1 9.6 and it slipped between the cracks last winter.

Hi All!

I've been doing a lot of research on the Action Comics #1 0.5 grade that just sold for 408K and some of the info I found was very interesting. Of the 44 unrestored copies of the census, there are (3) 0.5 grades. I wanted to see if any of those other copies were presentable with intact cover artwork. According to GPA, the other copy in 0.5 that has ever sold is the following:

1) CGC Cert # 0118834001 Grade: 0.5

COVERLESS/INCOMPLETE

Label Text COVERLESS. CENTERFOLD MISSING, DOES NOT AFFECT STORY. INCOMPLETE. Grader Notes Interior Centerfold Missing Staple Lite Rusted Whole Book Water Damage Through Book

Should CGC update the census on this or add some kind of asterisk here? Perhaps they can add a new line that says 0.5 Coverless? This seems to be the most responsible path for full disclosure to collectors. The lack of a cover is the defect that decreases the value of a book the most by far. Full disclosure of this defect is something that should be noted on the CGC census. Considering the inconsistency that some coverless books are receiving 0.5 grades with others receiving NG makes it even more important that coverless copies are notated on the census. Perhaps a new pinned topic could relate to coverless copies of 0.5 CGC books? This way the census can be updated accordingly going forward. 

There are (1) 1.0 and (2) 1.5 copies out there as well. In today's market, those copies would all likely fetch close to or over 1M, thus making the recent sale likely the most affordable/presentable copy of an entry-level grade in existence. Has anyone else seen pictures of another unrestored 0.5 Action Comics #1 before?

On 10/25/2023 at 12:11 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That's down significantly from where the book was ... several 8.0s sold in the $150K-$200K range not too long ago.

in line with the June sale on ComicConnect but both that one and thus one are 20% off the June heritage.   Can’t remember if heritage copy was particularly noteworthy 

Incredible Hulk #1 8.0 - $188k Dec 2021.    Previous $140k in 2021

Incredible Hulk #1 8.0 - $156K Aug 2022 (Goldin)

Incredible Hulk #1 8.0 - $111.2k June 2023 (ComicConnect)

Incredible Hulk #1 8.0 - $138k June 2023 (Heritage)

Incredible Hulk #1 8.0 - $112k Oct 2023 (ComicLink)