• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Six Figure Club
11 11

253 posts in this topic

On 1/31/2024 at 6:10 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Seems like a good place to post this screen shot from an email I just received.

image.thumb.png.42beb1000787fc2d797d51c87e9b8ca2.png

I've never gotten an email like this before, so obviously it's a big deal (or an April Fools joke!) ... whatever they're teasing would presumably hit the 6-figure mark, and I would guess the 7-figure mark.  Given all the big-ticket items Heritage sells all the time, I wonder what would justify a special email like this ... I think it would have to be an Action 1, or maybe a Detective 27 or Marvel Comics 1.  Or, if we allow our imaginations to extend beyond comics to original art, I suppose it could be some piece everyone thought didn't exist any more.

Take your guesses here!

Why was my gut reaction with the visual, for it to be something Star Wars?  :roflmao:

I guess im way off, as I struggle to think of any sw books even comparable to the ones you mention. Unless it is like 9.9 or perfect 10 35 cent variant? Ha!

On 1/31/2024 at 7:10 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Seems like a good place to post this screen shot from an email I just received.

image.thumb.png.42beb1000787fc2d797d51c87e9b8ca2.png

I've never gotten an email like this before, so obviously it's a big deal (or an April Fools joke!) ... whatever they're teasing would presumably hit the 6-figure mark, and I would guess the 7-figure mark.  Given all the big-ticket items Heritage sells all the time, I wonder what would justify a special email like this ... I think it would have to be an Action 1, or maybe a Detective 27 or Marvel Comics 1.  Or, if we allow our imaginations to extend beyond comics to original art, I suppose it could be some piece everyone thought didn't exist any more.

Take your guesses here!

A heretofore unknown 10.0 graded copy of the 1841, London 1st edition of The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck!  There was a fire that destroyed a significant portion of Tilt & Bogue's stock in 1841, so it's widely recognized as the scarcest of all editions of OO.  A man can dream, right? 

:flipbait: 

Edited by Pantodude

For those interested, it's the "Kansas City pedigree" copy of Action Comics #1, graded 8.5 OW/W.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C20GHvCRd3m

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/action-comics-1-kansas-city-pedigree-dc-1938-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7369-117008.s

image.thumb.png.55663e4356f650645f1d006256e7853e.png

I had never heard of the Kansas City pedigree, so I looked it up:

Kansas City

The earliest pedigreed collection ever found, it turned up in Kansas City in the late '60s and featured a large accumulation of nearly 250 high grade #1 issues that ran from 1937 through the '40s. The people who purchased it sold only a handful of issues each year, but because the accumulation was not considered a pedigree until the '80s, and because they have no distinct markings, many copies have anonymously vanished into collections. Besides copies of Batman #1, Flash #1, Green Lantern #1, Planet #1, Jumbo #1, and Superman #1, the collection also contained one of only four pedigreed copies of Action Comics #1. That copy, graded CGC 8.0, was the first comic book to sell for $1 million in 2011.

Sounds like this book magically improved from 8.0 to 8.5 at some point.

What do you think it will go for?

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 2/18/2024 at 7:26 PM, Gotham Kid said:

And it is up for sale already in the April Signature auction on Heritage.   The scan on Heritage makes it look better too 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/tales-of-suspense-39-marvel-1963-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/p/7369-117010.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 3/19/2024 at 9:33 PM, DC# said:

And up a bit from last sold.....

Detective Comics #27 6.5 - $1.74M May 2022 (Goldin)

So, you're saying the auction house was the big winner.

-bc

On 3/19/2024 at 6:37 PM, bc said:

So, you're saying the auction house was the big winner.

-bc

I think the saying goes "the house always wins".