• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alf #48 Lionsgate reprint?
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2022 at 4:03 PM, BishopT said:

When I first saw a picture of the Lionsgate comic however long ago, I initially assumed it to be like an ashcan sized deal. But that’s obviously not the case.

Same! Ashcan-sized comic pack-ins with DVDs were very common, so this thing is an oddity. I posted a message over on the forums, we'll see if anyone has an answer. Don't hold your breath, the Alf topic does not appear to be heavily trafficked. ha

The hypothetical scenario I keep going back to is something like this: 

A store like FYE gets promotional materials for stuff every shipment.. maybe this was meant to be a free item if you bought the DVD that they would give you at the counter, but it’s Alf in 2017/18. No one cares. Maybe they just printed however many and didn’t even notify the stores. It then could have just been thrown away with so much promotional material those type of stores get. But surely some store would have made the connection and actually put them out for whoever bought the dvd.

Still wouldn’t explain why we’re just now finding out about this book.

Edited by BishopT

And, furthermore, here’s another question…

Why THIS Alf comic? Why was this the one to be chosen as a reprint giveaway? It was done in irony, right? Or some self referential gag, yeah?

I get the notoriety of this book and the infamy it garnered, but still.

Edited by BishopT

On 6/7/2022 at 4:39 PM, BishopT said:

And, furthermore, here’s another question…

Why THIS Alf comic? Why was this the one to be chosen as a reprint giveaway? It was done in irony, right? Or some self referential gag, yeah?

I get the notoriety of this book and the infamy it garnered, but still.

That's what throws me off.  I could see Alf 1 reprinted for this promotion but Alf 48?  Even back in 2017, this was barely noticed by comic collectors.  To have this book reprinted for a home dvd release is really odd.

:whistle:

https://deadline.com/2022/02/alf-distribution-rights-are-acquired-by-shout-factory-which-plans-new-wave-of-pop-culture-content-tied-to-1980s-sitcom-1234959444/

I could be wrong But, Here's what I think happened. The comic in question was probably a last ditch effort by lionsgate and the 'ol Alfer who was last seen begging for cats on the interstate peddling their syndicated episodes of Alf on DVD which I never bought. Probably no Alf fan ever bought either. The DVD sets sat on the shelves for years . Then THIS happens !!! Can't go wrong with SHOUT !

P.S. I ALSO purchased the Cerebus Alf issue as well. I just love obscure oddities like this. Gives me an E.C. Comics vibe.

Edited by Strange-Avatar
Fixing a word

There's an ad on the back page for the online store. I'm wondering if it wasn't a freebie if you ordered it online between certain dates. I'd like to know if there were similar offers on the other books advertised around that time. 

At the last con I went to, they had an Alf Marvel...

CGC 9.4 for $500. :whatthe:

I was tempted up until they through a price tag on it, but a 9.4 even at fmv of $400/375 would have been too much.

I wonder if it was eye candy but was fun to see, It was the only one from what I could tell. :cry:

IMG_20220617_141124547.jpg

If Alf f&#king a seal is worth $500,i wonder what other more popular characters having a crack at one would be worth? World's gone mad.