• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who here has a secret collection?
4 4

46 posts in this topic

On 6/1/2022 at 11:08 PM, Westy Steve said:

The only way to avoid unwelcome competition is to keep your collection theme secret.  

So without divulging what you’re collecting, do you have a secret collection? A genre or theme of books that you’re collecting that you don’t want to advertise?

Steve, I know we've all had a bit of fun with this - it's hard to talk publicly about stuff you want to keep secret - but I do understand where you are coming from. I love showing off comics, especially rare or under the radar ones, but the reality is that all you do in the process is alert the competition and increase your chances of being outbid. I cut down posting about certain books drastically for this reason. It's hard, as sharing is all part of the fun, but the wise thing to do is to keep quiet until you've at least broken the back of it. Unless of course you value or enjoy sharing more than you do acquiring. 

There are three publishers (not Golden Age) I feel are still well under the radar (at least here in these forums) and still absolute bargains considering their scarcity that I never fail to snap up whenever I see them, not that I'm likely to do any more selling even if they did vastly increase in value. 

As this is a Golden Age (?) thread I'll reveal that quite recently I obtained the missing link and I now own all the 1950s - 1960s  Atlas Annuals I need. If anyone wants to own Golden Age Superman (admittedly in Black and White) then now is the time whilst the books are still relatively cheap.

1393138121_1952annual.thumb.jpg.75fdecb9a88c3d0b79d8c129b8311eae.jpg

On 6/1/2022 at 7:28 PM, goldust40 said:

I've been posing as a comic collector on this forum for the last 18 years to hide the fact that I actually collect old bits of barbed wire.

I think my strategy worked. Or it did, until now. Oops.

CGC just sent out an email seeking barbed-wire experts in addition to VHS tape and Booger collection experts.

I do keep my much of my Comic Collecting private/secret although with Original Comic Art its probably been a double edged sword.  

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/1/2022 at 4:28 PM, goldust40 said:

I've been posing as a comic collector on this forum for the last 18 years to hide the fact that I actually collect old bits of barbed wire.

I think my strategy worked. Or it did, until now. Oops.

The first rule, THE VERY FIRST RULE, of secret collecting is WE DON'T TALK ABOUT SECRET COLLECTING! :makepoint:

:facepalm:

I secretly collected comics in the 90's to read them, not to make a gazillion dollars in the future.

Whew, glad I got that off my chest.  I feel so much better about myself!!!! :whee:

On 6/2/2022 at 5:55 PM, GG © ® ™---Paul said:
On 6/2/2022 at 12:28 AM, goldust40 said:

Prices have spiked recently.

I have a big book I've been targeting that I haven't posted about publicly in the fear it would peak interest. 

But truthfully, it's sought after enough and rare enough, that it would draw pretty serious interest when it comes to auction anyway. 

Also, an unrestored one hasn't been sold at a public auction since 2020, so I'm kind of terrified to see where prices will go next time a nice presenting copy comes up.  

On 6/2/2022 at 5:08 PM, KCOComics said:

I have a big book I've been targeting that I haven't posted about publicly in the fear it would peak interest. 

But truthfully, it's sought after enough and rare enough, that it would draw pretty serious interest when it comes to auction anyway. 

Samesies!!

On 6/1/2022 at 5:08 PM, Westy Steve said:

So I advertised for some books recently.  Someone answered my ad PUBLICLY with a good lead on a couple of books. And of course they quickly sold…but not to me. 

This isn’t the first time this kind of thing has happened to me. I feel some people read want to buy ads, or they see someone’s collecting theme and say to themselves, “those are cool, I’m going to do that!”

The only way to avoid unwelcome competition is to keep your collection theme secret.  Especially when you’re looking for golden age books because often times there are only a few dozen graded examples or less.

So without divulging what you’re collecting, do you have a secret collection? A genre or theme of books that you’re collecting that you don’t want to advertise?

That ship sailed a long time ago. Everyone who cares caught on to the fact that I mainly collect specific artists & covers rather than targeting series runs.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:08 PM, KCOComics said:

Also, an unrestored one hasn't been sold at a public auction since 2020, so I'm kind of terrified to see where prices will go next time a nice presenting copy comes up.  

which one ? I think I have it .......

On 6/2/2022 at 10:03 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

That ship sailed a long time ago. Everyone who cares caught on to the fact that I mainly collect specific artists & covers rather than targeting series runs.

I'm looking for Schomburg paintings ...... very rare and almost never come up for sale :whistle: