• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash Gordon - Savior of the Universe
5 5

433 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2022 at 9:09 PM, OtherEric said:

I actually think the Flash Gordon movie has aged amazingly well... you can level any number of valid criticisms at it, but it's enormously fun and as time passes it's gone from instantly dated to delightfully, joyously retro-futuristic.

I absolutely love the film, and the Ted homage to Flash that was posted is really a big reason: the "camp" factor.  It seemed even the actors knew it wasn't going to be an award winner and just simply had fun.  But then you add in those awesome special effects and the soundtrack... it's magic.  I'm trying to imagine someone seeing it for the first time after all these years of "hype" and having different expectations going in.

On 6/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, jaybuck43 said:

My personal favorite Flash item I own...

IMG_5532.jpg

That is amazing.  Is it still functional?  What's your high score?

On 6/3/2022 at 9:14 AM, BB-Gun said:

I have posted a lot of Flash Gordon Sunday pages.

32691517105_295b49cd1f_b.jpg

I was trying to find a scan online of the first Flash strip from 1934 to post, but all I saw were small images.  Raymond's pen work is fantastic. I really like his work when he plays around with the panel layouts.  Rather than the even spacing we see here, he did occasionally break away from the monotonous design and open some panels to a splashy effect.

On 6/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, Yorick said:

Buster Crabbe played both Flash Gordon AND Buck Rogers.  I was looking through an Italian book I just received and they seem to like Buck more, but there was a bit of Crabbe Flash that I'll be able to take a few pictures of.

In the old serials they are barely distinguishable, Flash/Buck, same actor, same plot, same effects and all great, I love em! :banana:

On 6/2/2022 at 8:57 PM, OtherEric said:

Let's start with a few issues we haven't seen yet... Part 3 of the Movie Adaptation, the Marvel #2, and the back covers of the Marvel issues:

Flash Gordon 33.jpg

Flash Gordon 1 Marvel BC.jpg

I'd like to acquire a Brian Blessed signed copy of 33 (I have to go with the characters on the cover).

Whoever chose the artwork for the back cover of the Marvel issue...:x  Some of Williamson's best Flashs (Flashies, Flashes???) there.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:43 PM, Yorick said:

I really like those Paul Norris covers you posted.  In this one above, is this the issue with Frank Thorne art?

No, that one is by Jack Lehti. # 512 has the Frank Thorne art (signed FT at bottom right of the splash). I didn't have a scan of my copy handy but I just pulled it and here it is -

1411615466_FC512.thumb.jpg.151d9588525cda353938bb24c9e25771.jpg

On 6/2/2022 at 9:49 PM, jaybuck43 said:

My personal favorite Flash item I own...

IMG_5532.jpg

You win the thread! 

Only thing not perfect is the image of Ornella looks nothing like her

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/2/2022 at 9:48 PM, Yorick said:

This makes me smile; every time and all the time!

Is Brian Blessed the best part of this film?

What @OtherEric said! lol

Brian BLESSED!

On 6/2/2022 at 4:48 PM, Yorick said:

This makes me smile; every time and all the time!

Is Brian Blessed the best part of this film?

2nd best, Ornella is #1.  She's even hotter than Betty Rubble!