• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Page OA on 9x12 Board?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I recently bought this page Superman (2011) #29 Page 4, and I was a bit surprised to open it up and see it wasn't on a standard 11x17 DC board, but on what seems to be a board that is slightly bigger than 9x12. I've never heard of page art being done on boards this small, does anyone have any other examples of pages done on this board size, and does anyone know why they did this?

IMG_3293.jpg

Edited by JC25427N

On 6/6/2022 at 4:57 PM, JC25427N said:

Hey all,

I recently bought this page Superman (2011) #29 Page 4, and I was a bit surprised to open it up and see it wasn't on a standard 11x17 DC board, but on what seems to be a board that is slightly bigger than 9x12. I've never heard of page art being done on boards this small, does anyone have any other examples of pages done on this board size, and does anyone know why they did this?

IMG_3293.jpg

Found the quote below from a comic artist. I believe in essence the artist works in 2:3 ratio. If it’s drawn at 9x12 already perhaps the need for reduction of size becomes unnecessary.

“We work on 11x17 inch paper. The reduction is about 65 %. The actual working space is about 9x12 inches.”

—- Joseph Finkleman graphic comic artist

Edited by grapeape

Bruce Timm, Damien Scott and a few others work at 9x12 or smaller--so too do a lot of Manga artists-  a lot of people think it's faster to work smaller-- smaller page, less ink, less work, right?  I find it takes longer to work small but I ink with brushes which are not kind to a smaller work area.

On 6/6/2022 at 6:57 PM, MIL0S said:

Bart Sears also prefers to work smaller, 9"x12" or thereabout. 

Yup, I had a complete issue of Superman and Wonder Woman that was all 9x12.

Also had other pages from him that were 9x12

Malvin

I have multiple pages from a recent Superman Red & Blue story that were done at 9x12. I have not seen a 9x12 piece with the full DC guides printed out on the smaller board, which:

A) could definitely mislead someone thinking they're looking at a larger piece if the size isn't disclosed, and

B) is a nice touch, and something unique (in my experience) for a piece of this size.

I have talked to a few artists who found that working on large boards lured them into additional detail that was lost in printing. Working at a smaller size allowed them to "work for the final" vs getting lost in the detail. It's probably just a matter of preference and speed. 

Edited by MOStateSuperman
formatting