• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your love...I have comic ennui
3 3

57 posts in this topic

I just seem to be in a comic funk right now. I need to find the joy again. What you got? What are you loving right now? What is fueling your hobby joy? It doesn't have to be a comic, it can be any way that you find enjoyment right now in the hobby. Maybe I will re-read something; I read Starman, Sandman, and Watchmen every 3-5 years but it has been a while. I have the BWS Monsters as well, but it seems I need to be ready for that.

Anyone really enjoying something comics related RIGHT NOW?

I've been re-reading Avengers.  I started with the oldest issue I had (#23) and am through to about #60.  I've also picked up some raw copies in recent months and have read those as they arrive (#6, #7, #10).  Brought back lots of good memories from my "younger years."

On 6/7/2022 at 8:57 PM, Economy Joe said:

I just seem to be in a comic funk right now. I need to find the joy again. What you got? What are you loving right now? What is fueling your hobby joy? It doesn't have to be a comic, it can be any way that you find enjoyment right now in the hobby. Maybe I will re-read something; I read Starman, Sandman, and Watchmen every 3-5 years but it has been a while. I have the BWS Monsters as well, but it seems I need to be ready for that.

I landed on a really narrow focus - buying whatever books were in the Wizard Top 10 from issue 1-75.  Most of those are dollar bin books so it's made digging for the PC fun again.  Reading wise, Read the Aaron God of Thunder run a few months ago and going through Moore's Swamp Thing.  I never read past #26 at first.  

Edit:  Another thing that I'm actively collecting that is tangentially related to comics is going after early issues of magazines that I either read as a kid or that I share a cross-interest in.  I skated as a kid so I'm trying to get the 1st issue of Thrasher (geez, that's expensive).  Already landed the 1st of Transworld.  Also Nintendo Power, some early keys from Mad!, Wizard, Sports Illustrated, The Source, etc.   

Edited by Beastfeast

It’s the economy TAT’s. Sucked the joy out of it for me.  Honestly.  I get enough stress at the office.

Edited by eastriver31400

I've been building up for a comic con next week, I've posted about it in a few threads. Will Lord willing do a con thread with pics, as I have for the past 4 to 5 years.

I'm saving and it stinks cause I keep spending too.

I originally paid for a Jay and silent Bob for signature series at the con but Kevin Smith cancelled saying his mom was to come visit and she doesnt get a around well. Priorities.

Last comic I read was the comic, "last will and testament of Charles Xavier", cyclops was up to his usual leader shenanigans. 

Meeting up with friends and staying spirited, even though I chose to buy a 3 day pass lol is my prayer. I've learned most my friends only go one day, that was news to me. But it DOES make sense.

I might be able to go on, but it may sound droll! At least next week ther will be a thread to shenanigans in @economy "bird!" Hope you get some cgc tat. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Start by changing your username back.  The glacial TATS have consumed you.:foryou:

On 6/7/2022 at 9:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I originally paid for a Jay and silent Bob for signature series at the con but Kevin Smith cancelled saying his mom was to come visit and she doesnt get a around well. Priorities.

wifey and I looked at a house about 2000 ft from The Quickie Mart, rough area. It is now his podcasting home. I imagine I will be a regular at Secret Stash once we move in a few months.

Edited by Economy Joe

On 6/7/2022 at 9:03 PM, Economy Joe said:

wifey and I looked at a house about 2000 ft from The Quickie Mart, rough area. It is now his post casting home, I imagine I will be a regular at Secret Stash once we move in a few months.

Sounds cool. I've always wondered if it stayed humble in pricing there. Hes done videos to promote pricing, or a long time ago.

As compared to that band member from system of a down out in Vegas... whom idk but prices hopeful, might be the area of the shop to consider too.

I've not kept up with Kevin's other locations, I've seen the roaming moobys or what not, never got that figured out lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I loved Black Monday Murders. Last 8 issues, a handful of years ago, from Image. I think you can get it as 2 tpb’s too. I realize your question is much broader than good reads, but it’s what I’ve got off the top of my head and an easy kickstart.

I would say OA but you’re there already….has it been a while since you bought a collection comprised of something other than the usual suspects for back issues? I always find I enjoy buying a collection more when there’s at least a chunk of unfamiliar stuff I can read once and then release.

I post all my currently read stuff in this thread, you'll find stuff that people have been reading there:

If that's tl;dr my current pick would be Strangers in Paradise, which I've been rereading. Just saw a new title from Moore in the June Solicitations, Parker Girls, which should be fun.

The Conan omnis are glorious (both barbarian, and SSOC). Never knew what I missed as my younger self was more interested in the colorful heroes.

Also been dipping into more modern stuff (Hickman FF, Aaron Thor, Bachalo Strange). It's tough to step outside of your comfort zone.

Edited by bronze_rules

I've been reading all 13 volumes of IDW's TMNT run. It's been a wonderful read, really enjoyable, and I'll be sad to finish, even if I do only have to wait a month for volume 14. It's a new spin on everything, heaps of surprises, and it's surprisingly adult considering the property is now owned by Nickelodeon. 

On 6/8/2022 at 6:03 AM, Senormac said:

I think you need to read some Spike Mulligan.  It's really the only thing that will help you  :popcorn:

225287475_spike1page1revised5-22.thumb.jpg.113dba40b61337650cbf578d59ce4c38.jpg 1766249246_spike4coverpriceless.thumb.jpg.ecf325f2cd8e0a3c466921690f3f30bd.jpg 207182679_spike8coverpriceless.thumb.jpg.dafdf3645661e42e84e880eda6774654.jpg

Someone sent me a few copies to read.  It’s a quality indie title.

On 6/8/2022 at 1:57 AM, Economy Joe said:

Maybe I will re-read something; I read Starman, Sandman, and Watchmen every 3-5 years but it has been a while.

My routine is to re-read my beloved New Trend EC comics every few years, either from my complete run of Russ Cochran Library editions or the newer digital Fantagraphics artist-focused books. Either the original comics in their entirety or a couple of hundred-or-so pages of Wood, Williamson, Ingels, Kurtzman, Krigstein, Davis, Craig etc., along with those great stories.

You really can’t go wrong. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

The Spirit GA archives...great art and the stories are a pictures of the times. Not that there was a real "Spirit" but they remind me of old movies from the 40's.

I’m a Timely nut, and have spent a lot of time reading them in the Gold Reading Room. It’s with great regret I tell you don’t bother with these. @skypinkbluis right about The Spirit. @Ken Aldredhas good advice with the ECs. I myself like some of the newer stuff like the ASM and FF 4 compilations of issues 1-20. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 6/8/2022 at 11:28 AM, skypinkblu said:

The Spirit GA archives...great art and the stories are a pictures of the times. Not that there was a real "Spirit" but they remind me of old movies from the 40's.

I totally agree. One of greatest creators in the history of comics, and I have a full run of those. I originally had them in my teens as the Kitchen Sink magazines, so, one of my lifelong comics icons. The post World War 2 Sections are especially impressive. Eisner’s figure work, character expressions, page layout and pacing, splash page design, and short-but-involving stories are simply those of a writer-artist working at the pinnacle of achievement.  

Something else long due another reading.

Edited by Ken Aldred