• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your love...I have comic ennui
3 3

57 posts in this topic

There haven't been many great stories printed in the past decade, and now the movies and TV shows are pretty much all sucking IMO, so it's been very low-interest to me for awhile.

Once I move, I plan on diving back into reading the stuff I own that has not been read yet, which is a lot.

The new Thor movie is coming out soon, though, and the Black Adam trailer drops today.

Some of the good moderns I’ve read recently; Immortal Hulk, The Terrifics, Far Sector, and the Ta-Nehisi Coates run of Black Panther.

You mentioned re-reads, and there have already been excellent suggestions with The Spriit and the EC Archives. In addition, here are a couple of my favorite re-read candidates:

1. This is probably Miller's strongest work (at least involving mainstream super-heroes), before he went off the deep end:

bornagaincropped.thumb.jpg.74b6c77417710ce006c7152064bc8364.jpg

2. The following is my favorite format to re-read this classic.  There are subsequent editions that include the posthumous (for Goodwin) sequel, but despite Simonson's best intentions, the sequel is not as strong as the original material.  And it doesn't help that I think the DC editors print the sequel out of order.  I believe Simonson intended the sequel to be first in reading order, as this series famously launched in medias res, only telling the origin in the middle of its publication history.  In any case, this edition has the original 7 chapters, and as a result, I think is the better read:

manhunterspecialeditioncropped.thumb.jpg.fefdf75960339ab878d2db744659eb5e.jpg

I'll add my voice to those who enjoyed Aaron's Thor. I just finished reading the Omnibus this past weekend, and got a kick out of it. When it comes to Thor I'm pretty much a Kirby/Simonson or Bust kinda guy, but this was a very enjoyable book.

Right now I'm flipping through the DC Who's Who omnibus, Not great "reading" per se, but lots of nostalgia, and some terrific artwork.

Collecting wise, I've been buying more magazines than anything else, particularly National Lampoon, Heavy Metal, and Warren stuff. If you're not hung up on condition then most of this stuff is dirt cheap, and fun to track down. Otherwise I just sorta take stuff as I find it, if my LCS gets some cool old books in, I'll try to grab some keys. And of course, I am always hitting the dollar bins. Gotta love the dig!

On 6/7/2022 at 9:50 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 6/7/2022 at 8:57 PM, Economy Joe said:

I just seem to be in a comic funk right now. I need to find the joy again. What you got? What are you loving right now? What is fueling your hobby joy? It doesn't have to be a comic, it can be any way that you find enjoyment right now in the hobby. Maybe I will re-read something; I read Starman, Sandman, and Watchmen every 3-5 years but it has been a while. I have the BWS Monsters as well, but it seems I need to be ready for that.

Anyone really enjoying something comics related RIGHT NOW?

Start by changing your username back.  The glacial TATS have consumed you.:foryou:

Yup.

I refuse to be helpful until you change it back. We didn't let Poverty Row, COI, or Mutant Keys keep their ill-conceived, alter-nom de plumes, and you're no exception.

:sumo:

On 6/7/2022 at 8:04 PM, Beastfeast said:

I landed on a really narrow focus - buying whatever books were in the Wizard Top 10 from issue 1-75.  Most of those are dollar bin books so it's made digging for the PC fun again. 

This site helps, if you don't already have all the magazines. :foryou:

www.WizardTop10.com

On 6/7/2022 at 7:57 PM, Economy Joe said:

I just seem to be in a comic funk right now. I need to find the joy again. What you got? What are you loving right now? What is fueling your hobby joy?

It has been 30 years, and I still get a little jolt out of seeing the earliest Valiant books.  Honestly, I thought it would have worn off, but nope.  Still exciting.

There are only about 50 issues from 1991-1992 that cause this reaction, so it's a bit like remembering my favorite class in high school and seeing old friends' faces.

http://www.valiant101.com/101/quick-lesson-how-to-collect-early-valiant-like-an-expert/

On 6/8/2022 at 2:20 PM, Zonker said:

You mentioned re-reads, and there have already been excellent suggestions with The Spriit and the EC Archives. In addition, here are a couple of my favorite re-read candidates:

1. This is probably Miller's strongest work (at least involving mainstream super-heroes), before he went off the deep end:

bornagaincropped.thumb.jpg.74b6c77417710ce006c7152064bc8364.jpg

2. The following is my favorite format to re-read this classic.  There are subsequent editions that include the posthumous (for Goodwin) sequel, but despite Simonson's best intentions, the sequel is not as strong as the original material.  And it doesn't help that I think the DC editors print the sequel out of order.  I believe Simonson intended the sequel to be first in reading order, as this series famously launched in medias res, only telling the origin in the middle of its publication history.  In any case, this edition has the original 7 chapters, and as a result, I think is the better read:

manhunterspecialeditioncropped.thumb.jpg.fefdf75960339ab878d2db744659eb5e.jpg

Mazzucchelli’s art is brilliant; a perfect match.

Both classics. Fond recollections of reading the latter in episodic form in the 70s’ 100 pagers as a kid, especially the last part featuring Batman.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/8/2022 at 3:30 PM, valiantman said:

It has been 30 years, and I still get a little jolt out of seeing the earliest Valiant books.  Honestly, I thought it would have worn off, but nope.  Still exciting.

There are only about 50 issues from 1991-1992 that cause this reaction, so it's a bit like remembering my favorite class in high school and seeing old friends' faces.

Pre-Unity Valiant still holds up.

Well-written universe building.

A shame the company’s investors didn’t care about that.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/8/2022 at 3:09 PM, F For Fake said:

I'll add my voice to those who enjoyed Aaron's Thor. I just finished reading the Omnibus this past weekend, and got a kick out of it.

Great series all the way through, whether Odinson or Foster.  Donny Cates’ most recent run has been a good read as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/8/2022 at 3:22 PM, Pontoon said:

Yup.

I refuse to be helpful until you change it back. We didn't let Poverty Row, COI, or Mutant Keys keep their ill-conceived, alter-nom de plumes, and you're no exception.

Ah…

Not paying attention in my case.  Didn’t notice the Frank Zappa caricature.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/8/2022 at 10:22 AM, Pontoon said:

Yup.

look at the end of your left arm, that fist is for you

On 6/8/2022 at 10:30 AM, valiantman said:

It has been 30 years, and I still get a little jolt out of seeing the earliest Valiant books.

I have about half of the Unity issues already. hm

Honestly, I have tons to read. Taking it out and doing it is the issue. This has generated a little enthusiasm though, so thank you.

Edited by Economy Joe

I've a few regular re-reading trades.  Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser (Chaykin/Mignola/Williamson), Wild Blue Yonder (Raicht/Howard), The Coffin (Hester/Huddleson), Battling Boy (Pope), Miracleman (Moore and others - it's nice that Marvel has finally reprinted collected editions),and Hellboy's first few collected editions (Mignola).

Lately I've been looking at books from outside the USA.  There's lots to discover out there.

On 6/8/2022 at 7:40 AM, bronze_rules said:

The Conan omnis are glorious (both barbarian, and SSOC). Never knew what I missed as my younger self was more interested in the colorful heroes.

Good pick. For me those would be pure nostalgia, as it was the first 1-to-100 run that I assembled as a teen back then. Loved Savage Sword just as much. 

The Dark Horse and new Marvel books have lots of good stuff as well.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 6/8/2022 at 10:41 AM, Ken Aldred said:

Good pick. For me those would be pure nostalgia, as it was the first 1-to-100 run that I assembled as a teen back then. Loved Savage Sword just as much. 

The Dark Horse and new Marvel books have lots of good stuff as well.

Kick myself for missing the Colossal Conan omnis (on sale to boot).

On 6/8/2022 at 10:26 AM, valiantman said:

This site helps, if you don't already have all the magazines. :foryou:

www.WizardTop10.com

Thanks, V!  I found that site a few months ago after making my own list the hard way :ohnoez:.  Trying to resist the urge to go all the way to the end.  Luckily, there are some books on that list that I'd never pay the FMV for so it sort of solves that problem (Looking at you Batman 608 RRP).  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 6/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, shadroch said:

When I get the blues, I turn to Groo.  There is nothing a little Groo won't cure.  It's the WD-40 of comics.

Yup.  Also Ambush Bug, Joe Kelly's Deadpool and, over the last year, sorry to admit it, Harley Quinn from the new 52 series onwards.  Ridiculous, irreverent nonsense.  But, if you're down, better than wallowing in comic book nihilism.