• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Niagara Falls comicon report?

13 posts in this topic

I did not go but this was an article in our local newspaper.

https://www.nugget.ca/entertainment/local-arts/star-studded-comic-con-worth-the-trek-to-niagara-falls

...The "article" is pretty light though to say the least.

Also @Guardian Comics and @Iceman399 were set up there...Perhaps they would share some insights.

Edited by Wall-Crawler

On 6/9/2022 at 2:21 PM, Iceman399 said:

Ok if you want me to talk about myself @Wall-Crawler I can hahaha

This show is typically a social show being in Niagara everyone is close and few commute so everyone can get together after hours. Show is mainly smaller celebs as it's not Toronto or a huge city. The room is like most shows with a bunch of comic dealers and pop culture stuff and then a few vendors who you scratch your head at wondering how they'll make money. I took a few pics of our booth but not if the show floor as this was the busiest the show has ever been apparently waiting 3 years for a show meant everyone wanted to go. Saturday was 2 hrs to get in from the line wrapped around the entire building. The usa guys were not as plentiful in times past but the cdn crowd showed up. We did more business this show than we did in March at Toronto con... That should say how awesome this show was.  There weren't too many huge books in the room. A couple af15s, asm1s, x1, h181 etc. (humble brag) we had the most big books but we know they don't typically sell here. Smaller books moved like hotcakes. This is honestly the most fun con we do as a vendor as it's half a social show. 

Each night we got to hang with a different group which is always fun. 

Here's our booth pics for those who care. 

20220603_140649.jpg

20220603_140655.jpg

20220603_140659.jpg

20220603_140708.jpg

20220603_140716.jpg

anticipation, long in the wings, glad it paid off :) 

I went for the Saturday… it was fun, but I spent way less than I planned. I wasn’t impressed with a lot of what was on offer, but to each their own.

I did find some fun stuff at the “Ottawa Comic Cooperative” booth, where they had some more unique books.

Overall, I noticed a lot of “repricing” for the show. One prominent dealer had taken all the $3 bins from his store, and set them out as $5 bins at the show. Another had unpriced CGC moderns, and when I inquired about pricing, he showed me some eBay asking prices on his phone to justify prices at about double GPA. I get that dealers have to recoup their table and travel costs, but this makes me feel like it’s not worth going to the show for buying books - I’m better off just visiting dealers in their shops.

I talked to one dealer today who said they sold a lot of comics Friday, but the sales focus shifted to toys and Funko Pops on Saturday and Sunday.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, Brock said:

I went for the Saturday… it was fun, but I spent way less than I planned. I wasn’t impressed with a lot of what was on offer, but to each their own.

I did find some fun stuff at the “Ottawa Comic Cooperative” booth, where they had some more unique books.

Overall, I noticed a lot of “repricing” for the show. One prominent dealer had taken all the $3 bins from his store, and set them out as $5 bins at the show. Another had unpriced CGC moderns, and when I inquired about pricing, he showed me some eBay asking prices on his phone to justify prices at about double GPA. I get that dealers have to recoup their table and travel costs, but this makes me feel like it’s not worth going to the show for buying books - I’m better off just visiting dealers in their shops.

I talked to one dealer today who said they sold a lot of comics Friday, but the sales focus shifted to toys and Funko Pops on Saturday and Sunday.

lol who took their $3 bins and charged $5?