• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Academy • Grading Seminar • July 9-10 in Tampa • I Went • Update Is In!
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Just received the acceptance email and sent rsvp today. Was wondering who's going?

I attended the card grading seminar in Sarasota and was a great time and
met a lot of great people. My main collecting focus is comics and magazines,
so really looking forward to this.

Also, I live in Tampa not too far from the convention center, so there's that  :headbang:

Edited by Hiro

On 6/13/2022 at 3:11 PM, shadroch said:

I hope it works out well and they are able to hire some graders.  It seems like a great opportunity for a young person to get in on the ground floor of a hobby they enjoy.

There were a lot of knowledgeable people at the card grading seminar. One person that I met there and
shared a table with came in third in the grading test and won some money and I assume was offered a job.

Think he was from Chicago and probably in his early 30s. Not sure if he did take the job with CGC, but I'm guessing he did.
When I first met him he told me that was his plan, work for CGC and live in Florida away from the cold and snow.

On 7/5/2022 at 10:30 AM, Timely said:

Based on what I heard, only those logistically close were selected to attend.

Which makes perfect sense if CGC is looking at the seminar as an opportunity to screen and hire graders.

On 7/5/2022 at 1:30 PM, Timely said:

Based on what I heard, only those logistically close were selected to attend.

I guess it does make sense to try and keep the attendees and possible candidates for jobs somewhat local.
Will update about this and just general info from the seminar after this weekend.

On 6/14/2022 at 5:09 AM, Motor City Rob said:

Maybe entry level job for a young person...or someone who's retired. Very difficult to live on that kind of salary in today's world. 

Not to mention the burn out figure. After a few months, I might not ever want to look at a comic again. 

On 7/5/2022 at 2:19 PM, Robot Man said:

Not to mention the burn out figure. After a few months, I might not ever want to look at a comic again. 

So true. While it would be amazing to hold onto some serious grails that some most people never have a chance to own, the honeymoon would probably wear off quickly.