• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is inflation and a potential recession changing your collecting habits?
4 4

82 posts in this topic

I think most collectors are not directly influenced by these things, I think most collectors buy after saving or after having a good paycheck if not salaried, or perhaps at bonus time. I don't think most collectors are buying through using gains from other markets. I think the Venn diagram of people who invest in the market and people who spend considerable money on comics is much smaller than others seem to think it is.

So remind me, which is it? Stocks go down and people move money into comics OR stocks go up and people have excess money and then move it into comics? Seems half the people think money goes in at one point when the others think money comes out at that same point. or versa vice.

Edited by Economy Joe

Stocks are for investment

Comics are a hobby.

If I had money lying around ( I definitely don’t) I would be holding on to it for the bottom of the stock market.

My comic money is a completely separate pool of money. My work is near zero chance of lay-off during any recession, in fact it would only get crazier with any sort of hiring freeze.

Ultimately I may zero out the comic book funds and shift it to stocks if I sense a buying opportunity.

On 6/14/2022 at 1:44 PM, Bookery said:

Not me.  I buy what I hate.  Then if I lose it, I don't care.

The nihilistic approach.

On 6/14/2022 at 2:16 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Alright, please tell me what each of these are.

Immortal Hulk 25 1:500 Ross

Vampirella 2010 #1 1:500 Ross 

WW Black and Gold #6 1:25 Nakayama

Ultimatum #5 Dell'Otto Foil

Wolverine 2020 #1 Suayan C

X-Men Red #1 Lee

X-Men 2020 #1 1:500 Lau

Black Cat #1 Campbell G

Spider-Man #1 Facsimile Crain Gold

Edited by Poekaymon

Dumb question: Are you ammo dudes expecting society to collapse and you have to use the ammo to kill people trying to take your food and shelter?  Because of a recession?  

Another dumb question: Does ammo have a decent secondary market?  Like, are you guys buying ammo just in case but also able to sell it to make a profit?  

On 6/14/2022 at 4:25 PM, Beastfeast said:

Dumb question: Are you ammo dudes expecting society to collapse and you have to use the ammo to kill people trying to take your food and shelter?  Because of a recession?  

Another dumb question: Does ammo have a decent secondary market?  Like, are you guys buying ammo just in case but also able to sell it to make a profit?  

just assuring myself  that nobody is going to take the food I stocked up on.Better safe than sorry momma always said

and yes to the second question. We live in very uncertain times my friend 

(oh and just in case they want my funny books as a bonus (:)

Edited by Courageous Cat

The number of things I reasonably desire in my collection are now the cost of a new car.  Things I'm likely to buy once a decade and aren't affected by fluctuations in broader market indices.  The question I'm confronted with is putting more money into the stock market or buying an asset.  At this point, I'm likely going to put more of that cash into the stock market and hope I make enough returns in the next few years to more easily afford a mega key and OA.

On 6/14/2022 at 4:45 PM, ExNihilo said:

The number of things I reasonably desire in my collection are now the cost of a new car.  Things I'm likely to buy once a decade and aren't affected by fluctuations in broader market indices.  The question I'm confronted with is putting more money into the stock market or buying an asset.  At this point, I'm likely going to put more of that cash into the stock market and hope I make enough returns in the next few years to more easily afford a mega key and OA.

why would you invest now when we aren't even close to bottoming out now??

On 6/14/2022 at 9:25 PM, Beastfeast said:

Being British, I thought that this was normal American behaviour anyway; forming militias, fallout shelters, an armoury cupboard at home, that kind of thing? 

Edited by Ken Aldred