• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone tired of claim shows?
2 2

44 posts in this topic

I know people that watch regularly but haven't bought anything yet.  There are 200+ watchers, but the same handful of collectors (and dealers) claim most of the art. 

If someone I know is selling, I'll make it a point to watch. but Generally I only watch when there's nothing else going on. 

I've watched a lot of the Dueling Dealers and Dealmakers episodes.  But never tried to claim anything.  It's entertaining but there's almost too much going on in the chat.  I don't feel obligated to watch live or later. 

On 6/19/2022 at 11:14 AM, Race said:

- Please, please stop with the tasteless references to women. "Thigh gap" jokes ad infinitum? Gentlemen, it is 2022. Just stop.

I've never watched a single minute of these shows, so I'm only assuming what you write is accurate. If so, that really is deplorable.

On 6/19/2022 at 11:46 AM, vodou said:

I've never watched a single minute of these shows, so I'm only assuming what you write is accurate. If so, that really is deplorable.

It is accurate.  And more often than not, there's at least one woman (screen names) in the chat.  And Anthony's wife is almost always on the show.  However, on the show, the term is applied to men, women and any other creature.  But y'know...

Re: Dueling Dealers pricing... the intro says art is "new" (at least for that dealer) and/or is "priced to sell".  But the show is designed to create some immediacy and FOMO.  Noone is forced to buy, so caveat emptor.

Edited by Will_K

On 6/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, Race said:

To someone who drops in for the first time, however, things look a little different.

It's unnecessary, alienating, and ultimately that combination serves to likely decrease the pool of buyers and discourage sales.

That's good business? Naw; dumb.

But hey, to each their own, make your bed and lie in it, etc.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:06 PM, Will_K said:

But the show is designed to create some immediacy and FOMO.

Laughable. There really is no such thing as shortages, broadly, across the entire hobby...unless you're super focused on Walt Simonson Thor covers lol 

On 6/19/2022 at 3:11 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Or really good, new-on-the-market Phantom Stranger art. ☹️

Yeah, niches are always tough. I hear ya; I'm always working a few of my own and for most...it's been years, even decades since I've added a new piece.

On 6/19/2022 at 6:35 PM, New School Fool said:

What the origin of the "Thigh gap" joke anyway...? I can never understand why Bill says it. Is it something that's sought after in art by some collectors?

In the chat, someone made an "observation" about one of the pieces up for sale (don't recall the exact piece or episode).  And since then, the term has been used fairly regularly but not during every episode of Dueling Dealers.  Bill isn't usually the first one to call it out.  But if someone says it in the chat, Bill might echo it.  Sometimes there are variations depending on the context of the piece.  I can't recall a specific instance.  But for example, if there was a McFarlane Spider-Man piece, in one of those odd poses, it might be a "Mc"...  I'd never use the term in public or private.  And I think it's used too casually in the chat.

Edited by Will_K

I bought one piece from Anthony and one from Mike on DD, at prices I was happy with. I have spent my limit for the time being and thus have not been watching so I am not tempted. I appreciate their attempts to build community and make silly videos to liven it up.

Edited by RBerman

On 6/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Or really good, new-on-the-market Phantom Stranger art. ☹️

I feel for you so much I make it a point to ask about PS art everywhere I go. If I find it and it’s reasonable I’ll let ya know. 👍 

I was "aw shucksing" when I saw a page had sold during these live shows that I would have purchased.  I tried watching them since then but there seems like there is too much going on in an effort trying to entertain me rather than get to the meat and potatoes of the matter. 

I've stopped watching since then.   I can think of other things to have on in the background and get things done around here. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 6/19/2022 at 11:21 AM, vodou said:

It's unnecessary, alienating, and ultimately that combination serves to likely decrease the pool of buyers and discourage sales.

That's good business? Naw; dumb.

“My thigh gap brings all the boys to the yard / once there / I capture their Likes, clicks, and views / then I’m / doused in ad revenues.”