• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Box was Opened from Bottom, 3 items  stolen from my 25 CGC comic shipment.
5 5

42 posts in this topic

Both CGC and Fed-Ex have higher secure facilities,  so not sure how they did it.

It was done in a big rush, 12 comics out of the Plastic Bags,badly repacked with 50% of Cardboard removed, Outer Box Crushed.

4 CGC Holders were Cracked, with a 5th Holder badly Scratched.

CGC is paying Reholder costs and shipping both ways for the 5 Damaged items, so Kudos for the Top-Notch service.

Sadly, I do not insure my parcels, as this is my ever such issue with CGC or Fed-Ex since they opened for business;

These are the Stolen items;

Super Mario Bros. Special Edition #1 Valiant 1990 CGC 8.0 CGC Registration #4011460010 

Super Mario Bros. #1 Valiant 2/1991 CGC 9.8 CGC Registration #4011460014  (GPA Value $900)

Super Mario Bros. #1 Valiant 2/1991 CGC 9.6 CGC Registration #4011460015  (GPA Value $450)

If anyone sees these 3 CGC Registration numbers, let me know;

On 6/28/2022 at 9:48 AM, Douglas Sulipa said:

Both CGC and Fed-Ex have higher secure facilities,  so not sure how they did it.

It was done in a big rush, 12 comics out of the Plastic Bags,badly repacked with 50% of Cardboard removed, Outer Box Crushed.

4 CGC Holders were Cracked, with a 5th Holder badly Scratched.

CGC is paying Reholder costs and shipping both ways for the 5 Damaged items, so Kudos for the Top-Notch service.

Sadly, I do not insure my parcels, as this is my ever such issue with CGC or Fed-Ex since they opened for business;

These are the Stolen items;

Super Mario Bros. Special Edition #1 Valiant 1990 CGC 8.0 CGC Registration #4011460010 

Super Mario Bros. #1 Valiant 2/1991 CGC 9.8 CGC Registration #4011460014  (GPA Value $900)

Super Mario Bros. #1 Valiant 2/1991 CGC 9.6 CGC Registration #4011460015  (GPA Value $450)

If anyone sees these 3 CGC Registration numbers, let me know;

one time, i had a cgc shipment get damaged during shipment from fedex, someone in their company, changed the box the books came in since it was damaged so much, repacked the books into a non cgc box and dropped off. it's possible that those books were not stolen but so damaged beyond recognition that fedex dumped them.

have you contacted fedex? i hope you had insurance on the books beyond their $100 limit. That's all i received when this happened.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:28 AM, jsilverjanet said:

. it's possible that those books were not stolen but so damaged beyond recognition that fedex dumped them.

It's also possible that those three slabs just fell out after the box was damaged, and before anyone noticed. 

After July 5, CGC is putting full DV insurance on FedEx return shipping.  https://cgccomics.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=7fdf5b45871a284d65d24d11a&id=7390b05889&e=adadd59fcb   The timing for this incident could not be worse.  Ironically, a time that you wish the CGC tat was SLOWER.

I had a similar thing happen on a shipment of hardcover books through USPS.  A friend of mine is a manager at a USPS distribution facility, and he explained that most likely a whole pallet of stuff crashed while being moved.  The workers there try to put Humpty Dumpty back together as best they can, as quickly as they can, guessing which contents came from which package.  Some of my books were missing, but I got someone else's cat toy and a DVD on dog training.  Someone is probably wondering why they got hardcover books with their pet supplies.  Stuff happens.  I insure everything over $100, sometimes over-insure things, but I find the best rates to do that so that it's not punitive.  Cheap insurance through Pirate Ship and blanket coverage from CIS.

A guy sent me a $1000 shipment of books in 2 boxes, signature required, no insurance.  One box made it.  The other was just the top of the box with the label still attached, a single sheet of corrugated cardboard, now in a USPS plastic pouch with a sticker that said "arrived damaged".  The counter clerk wanted me to sign for the box top!  I took a photo and refused delivery.  The books were never found, and the seller refunded $450 out of his own pocket (ouch), based on which books were missing.

This is somewhat off topic, but I have entered a game of "How Many Times Will They Reship Product That Keeps Getting Broken In Transit" with Sam's Club and FedEx Ground. I ordered 10 jars of peanut butter for our restaurant (Sams Club does not stock it at our club anymore). Currently, FedEx Ground has destroyed 20 jars of peanut butter (10 on my original order, another 10 on a replacement order). I am on week three, my 10 replacement jars will be here tomorrow. And we will see if they are broken.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I see the FedEx guy at least twice a week. And it's been a different person every time for at least two years - they can't either keep the same people employed within a two or three day timespan, or they are moving their routes around on a daily basis. When I first opened, we had the same FedEx driver on our route for three years. You can't tell me that the turnstile hiring FedEx is dealing with doesn't translate into people mishandling packages. I mean, it's the way the world works now, but man - can you believe how far we've fallen in three years?

Update 6/29: FedEx damaged the peanut butter before it even arrived at our place. lol After 30 jars of damaged goods, Sam's Club has thrown in the towel and issued a refund, not wanting to ship any more.

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 9.45.45 AM.png

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 6/28/2022 at 10:12 AM, lizards2 said:

It's also possible that those three slabs just fell out after the box was damaged, and before anyone noticed. 

This is what came to mind first. I know I regaled everyone with my peanut butter story, but aside from that I end up with damaged packages from FedEx at least 2 times a month on an average of 8 deliveries per month (never UPS or USPS, but we use them maybe 20% of the time at best). Damaged to the point that I have to contact the distributor I purchased them from. On damaged packages, FedEx slaps some tape on it and drops it off like nothing happened - it's 100% up to the end-user to determine if their package has been damaged and to take steps to rectify it. My guess was that someone probably dropped 10 jars of peanut butter on the box, it split open and they grabbed what they could, taped it up and chucked it back on the truck. That's why there's so much damage to the other slabs.

On 6/28/2022 at 8:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

This is somewhat off topic, but I have entered a game of "How Many Times Will They Reship Product That Keeps Getting Broken In Transit" with Sam's Club and FedEx Ground. I ordered 10 jars of peanut butter for our restaurant (Sams Club does not stock it at our club anymore). Currently, FedEx Ground has destroyed 20 jars of peanut butter (10 on my original order, another 10 on a replacement order). I am on week three, my 10 replacement jars will be here tomorrow. And we will see if they are broken.

What menu items are the PB for?

On 6/29/2022 at 7:54 AM, Dr. Balls said:

We have a PB&J burger with sharp cheddar and bacon. :headbang:

Is this really that good? I don't know if I have the stones to try such an absolutely odd concoction. It makes me think of pineapple on pizza; An unnatural abomination.

If you tell me that it's that good, though, I'll have to try one...

As I've noted in other posts, in my area the folks that work for USPS are excellent, adhering to all USPS delivery protocols and, as of my most recent CGC return shipment, always delivering boxes that appear to have been carefully handled.

Unfortunately, except for one driver for each FedEx and UPS in my area, those companies provide terrible service, including launching boxes onto the porch from the bottom of the stairs, not seeking a signature when one is required, and leaving larger packages on the front walkway in front of the gate. UPS, in once instance about two years ago, delivered a large box of comic books to the wrong address or did not deliver them as despite showing delivery the box was nowhere to be found. After informing USPS numerous times, including filling out the same form several times, the company admitted that, yes, the box was not delivered to me. Thankfully, the comic book store, that I kept in the loop, that I purchased the comic books from replaced either all of them or was short only a few as they had sold out.

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
UPS, not USPS.

On 6/29/2022 at 5:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Is this really that good? I don't know if I have the stones to try such an absolutely odd concoction. It makes me think of pineapple on pizza; An unnatural abomination.

I would say that 98% of everyone who eats it likes it, and a large percentage love it. You wouldn’t think it works, but it does. It’s one of our best daily sellers - and man, that burger is really good on a cold winter day.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:05 AM, Dr. Balls said:

I would say that 98% of everyone who eats it likes it, and a large percentage love it. You wouldn’t think it works, but it does. It’s one of our best daily sellers - and man, that burger is really good on a cold winter day.

Sorry to continue the hijack but add a chocolate chip cookie to that burger. GF (at the time) worked at a burger spot. She thought it would be funny to sneak a cookie onto my PB burger, it was funny delicious!

Home Depot is 0-2 on delivering a patio table to us. It's a two person lift but both deliveries have been one person pulling half the box out then pushing down (snapping the tabletop) to stand the box up  and lean it against the garage. They have offered a 50% refund for us to keep and repair the tables or to continue delivering (and breaking) the table while picking up the broken one at a different time. They picked up the first broken one yesterday and sent two people. At least the broken table got handled correctly.

Douglas, I hope your books make it back to you in the condition you expected them! Good luck!

On 6/28/2022 at 8:29 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I ordered 10 jars of peanut butter for our restaurant (Sams Club does not stock it at our club anymore).

I'm guessing Jif? Since the recall, my Sam's also doesn't carry it.

On 6/29/2022 at 7:58 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Putting peanut butter on savory sandwiches is the best.  We made some really awful sounding things being stoned, working in kitchens.  Peanut butter and bacon is the duh combo but almost all types of cheese (especially a good, sharp cheddar) work.  Brie, PB, and salami on a croissant was the one we thought would be terrible but it's surprisingly good.  

On 6/29/2022 at 12:57 PM, ttfitz said:

I'm guessing Jif? Since the recall, my Sam's also doesn't carry it.

I did throw out all the JIF, so we were using Sam's peanut butter since then. I did manage to get a pretty good stockpile of Sam's PB the day the JIF recall happened because I wasn't sure if it was going to get expanded (it did) and I didn't want to scramble to try and find it.

On 6/29/2022 at 1:16 PM, Beastfeast said:

Putting peanut butter on savory sandwiches is the best.  We made some really awful sounding things being stoned, working in kitchens.  Peanut butter and bacon is the duh combo but almost all types of cheese (especially a good, sharp cheddar) work.  Brie, PB, and salami on a croissant was the one we thought would be terrible but it's surprisingly good.  

Peanut Butter, bacon, mayo, pickle and grilled onions sounds SUPER weird. But it's works. Hard to get people to take that leap, but I'm telling you - it's practically zero regret if you just open your mouth and stuff it in there.