• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The FIVE MOST SIGNIFICANT EVENTS OF THE CGC FORUM EVER!!!!

62 posts in this topic

Steve, you should quote a little further into the thread......

Steve, here is your initial post.....

I'm not sure the buyer really needs as much help as you think [from CGC]. Even if someone was pretty sure the book(s) had been trimmed, it would be easy to sell the book in another venue (say eBay or a Convention). Once again, the buyer RELIED on CGC and their abiltiy to detect restoration.

I answered...

Your other two points I can live with Steve, but not this one. So you're saying that as long as the gift keeps on giving ... ie. it's okay to just pass it along? Good Lord, that's a pretty dismal scenario. I'm not concerned about the liquidity of the book as much as the unethical nature of what is going down, and about the disrespect shown to these cool books that made it down the time tunnel for over 40 years, and then got disfigured in 2005.

So are you saying that if one of these books came to you, and you found out it was trimmed, that you'd just pop it up on Ebay without a word, or sell it to one of your fellow boardies? If it came to me and I found out that he knew what he was selling me, it would richochet back off the head of the guy who fobbed it on me so fast he'd just about have time to dial 911 for the trauma team.

You answered.....

I understand your concern.

But let's look at it this way.

If I owned stock in a company and was watching the Local News, and they said that there has been an OIL SPILL off the coast by an Exxon ship and:

1) I owned Exxon shares

2) Decided to immediately sell those shares before word got out to the National News.

3) Sold to someone who DIDN'T know this was happening

AM I A BAD GUY?

In the case of a possible trimmed comic books, I would tried to get my money back from the person I purchased the book from or call CGC to get more information (and see if they felt they needed to correct the issue). But ONCE AGAIN, I RELIED on CGC to determine if the book was restored, and if they made a MISTAKE, why should I take the FINANCIAL FALL.

....so what you said was that if you had the opportunity to dump it on someone who hadn't heard the news....you would. So yeah....in answer to your question....you WOULD be a BAD GUY! confused-smiley-013.gif

(Well, not "ever", but in the last seven or eight months that I've been gone, perhaps?)

shy.gif My name is green now.

Welcome back Olathe boy! thumbsup2.gif

Are we talking Kansas, Tex?

Yup. I moved here from Lawrence, KS and Khaos lives in Olathe, about 10 minutes away.

This quote basically sums up the fact that I wouldn't just dump it on some sucker (which you implied I said). 893naughty-thumb.gif And at no time did I say an absolutely, positively trimmed comic book (which would only be known if I actually saw the person trim the book).

Basically, if CGC is not going to try to correct the issue, then they are sticking by their Unrestored Grade and I still don't think I have to stand up and be a whistleblower on myself (i.e. my book).

QUOTE:

In the case of a possible trimmed comic books, I would tried to get my money back from the person I purchased the book from or call CGC to get more information (and see if they felt they needed to correct the issue). But ONCE AGAIN, I RELIED on CGC to determine if the book was restored, and if they made a MISTAKE, why should I take the FINANCIAL FALL.

END QUOTE:

Once again, at the time, I thought (as many did) that this was an isolated incident.

1) Jason Ewert found to have trimmed hundreds of books and gotten them past CGC into blue labels.

What hundreds? confused.gif

The last quote from EsquireComics was 150.

Where is this quote? confused-smiley-013.gif

1) Jason Ewert found to have trimmed hundreds of books and gotten them past CGC into blue labels.

What hundreds? confused.gif

Where is this quote? confused-smiley-013.gif

Never mind - I found it. In regards to the 150 figure, Mark said "I believe this referred to the JE books that were in the possession of CGC when the scandal broke.", not books that Jason "got past CGC and into blue labels." as 'hook notes above. Anyhoo, I am curious to see what kind of hit ratio CGC gets on books that are being re-submitted for the "Ewert Trim check", and what the submittal dates are on those that turn out to be trimmed. Hopefully the pending litigation will unveil the figures... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

(Well, not "ever", but in the last seven or eight months that I've been gone, perhaps?)

Who will take on this most ambitious undertaking?!??! WHO WILL BE MAN (or hermaphro-man, sorry Deathlok) ENOUGH TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE??!?!?

hail.gif

I overstated that and left the wrong impression on the numbers. Sorry about that. Of course I'm not ruling out the fact that Ewert might have gotten a large number through already. We'll never know, due to the info blackout on the situation. The fact that CGC has seen fit to keep us in the dark over the details does worry me.

Red

Who will take on this most ambitious undertaking?!??! WHO WILL BE MAN (or hermaphro-man, sorry Deathlok) ENOUGH TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE??!?!?

hail.gif
Christo_pull_hair.gif

Hmmm...this must have been posted after I gouged my eyeballs out with a spoon.

But does 150 actually qualify as "hundreds"? stooges.gif

Definition of hundreds: The numbers between 100 and 999 .

RIF.

RIF.

Wouldn't it have to be at least 200? confused-smiley-013.gif

RIF.

Wouldn't it have to be at least 200? confused-smiley-013.gif

No.

The definition was from the dictionary.

Going back to the subject of the post .

For me the most significant thing that made me feel part of the comic collecting community was Nikos grading competition .

He was a star person , and made weeks of fun and debate , and was also the first person to also show up the big differences in grades between what CGC gives and what the board members think .

shy.gif My name is green now.

Welcome back Olathe boy! thumbsup2.gif

What the hamburger hell?? Why?? What?? When?? Where?? How?? (Did that cover all the bases?)