• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SDCC 2022
1 1

17 posts in this topic

All my normal contacts seem to be skipping the Con this year and there are a number of books I'd like to get. Is there anyone on the boards that offers the service to pick up books, obviously for a charge? I went through Twin Cities, through here, a few years ago but they aren't going.

On 7/10/2022 at 8:36 AM, I like pie said:

It seems like the only ones going mostly, are locals. Was attendance on the decline pre covid?

I can only tell you what I see in relation to NYCC.

These types of shows were showing their age prior to the pandemic.   The costs to set up tables and booths were on the expensive side.  Hasbro at one point pulled out of NYCC around 10 years ago and elected to rent a floor in a nearby hotel for a number of years as it was cheaper than the floorspace that the Javits was charging.  Mattel has basically followed suit, Lego has bounced as well and other major companies and businesses seem to either scale back or decline to go. 

As technology has improved and social media has become even more widely used the companies have established more of a presence there. Hasbro and Lego are KILLING it online hosting YouTube reveals for specific product lines.  Lego just had a day that they called, "Lego con" to show off reveals and host panels online.  

The pandemic has exacerbated the decline of shows in the same way as it put another nail in brick and mortar businesses that were already on their way out. 

The lineup to NYCC is already what @jaybuck43 has told me is 'weak'.  I basically get in to the show with a privilege ticket or I go for free and I have to admit that if I did not get that deeply discounted or free pass to go for the four days, I would shrug it off and not feel as if I am missing anything. 

On 7/10/2022 at 7:36 AM, I like pie said:

It seems like the only ones going mostly, are locals. Was attendance on the decline pre covid?

I imagine it depends on who's attendance you count.

Cons have become more like a destination carnival/spectacle for the average attendee, with the primary cost justification being whether there's a celebrity they want to see for a fee or possibly the idea of breathing the same air for free. The demographic is younger and the dressing up part has become a key element of the fun, sort of like a ren fair. The target audience barely knows that newsprint comic books exist, let alone have any interest in acquiring them. For those that are adults, comics aren't necessarily part of the nostalgia they're trying to satisfy, with video games and toys possibly resonating instead.

Since comic book back issues are no longer the feature, there is less reason for vendors to pay exorbitant fees to set up, and those that do setup are buying less space. This is understandable if most people are primarily looking to buy pops and non-collectible merchandise.

For back-issue collectors who may have been drawn by their own celebrities apart from the previously large selection of back issues, most of the staple creator attendees have died and their significance can never be replaced. Berni, Neal, George Perez off the top of my head. The remaining vintage talent is usually less than legendary, and even those who are legendary lose their novelty quickly; Steranko's Warhol-countenance eventually loses it's surprise value. Oh, and boomers, with heavy nostalgia for silver age comics, are also dying.

With everything working against collector attendance, the only ones who can justify a ticket are likely local.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 7/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, KirbyTown said:

I imagine it depends on who's attendance you count.

Cons have become more like a destination carnival/spectacle for the average attendee, with the primary cost justification being whether there's a celebrity they want to see for a fee or possibly the idea of breathing the same air for free. The demographic is younger and the dressing up part has become a key element of the fun, sort of like a ren fair. The target audience barely knows that newsprint comic books exist, let alone have any interest in acquiring them. For those that are adults, comics aren't necessarily part of the nostalgia they're trying to satisfy, with video games and toys possibly resonating instead.

Since comic book back issues are no longer the feature, there is less reason for vendors to pay exhorbitant fees to set up, and those that do setup are buying less space. This is understandable if most people are primarily looking to buy pops and non-collectible merchandise.

For back-issue collectors who may have been drawn by their own celebrities apart from the previously large selection of back issues, most of the staple creator attendees have died and their significance can never be replaced. Berni, Neal, George Perez off the top of my head. The remaining vintage talent is usually less than legendary, and even those who are legendary lose their novelty quickly; Steranko's Warhol-countenance eventually loses it's surprise value. Oh, and boomers, with heavy nostalgia for silver age comics, are also dying.

With everything working against collector attendance, the only ones who can justify a ticket are likely local.

The big shows were starting to tank even before Covid.

With SDCC everything is a “lottery” for tickets, hotels and even parking for the “privilege” of paying 3 times the going rate for everything. If you are “lucky” enough to make it in to buy funny books, there are fewer to buy and very little in the way of any deals. The cost for dealers to set up is astronomical. The show is still like no other. But real sad for actual buyers of comics,

Ad has been said, most of the big corporate attendees are no longer there. I don’t even believe DC, Marvel, Dark Horse and others even have a presence. At a comic show? (shrug)

On 7/10/2022 at 5:59 PM, Robot Man said:

and very little in the way of any deals.

Catching whatever great deal on the inventory that wouldn't move at the home office always yielded some of my most memorable finds, especially from dealers far from the convention city

On 7/10/2022 at 11:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Ad has been said, most of the big corporate attendees are no longer there. I don’t even believe DC, Marvel, Dark Horse and others even have a presence. At a comic show? 

Sounds like it’s about time they rebranded themselves.  

On 7/12/2022 at 4:19 AM, I like pie said:

I'm getting a lot of suggestions to try whatnot. Looks like that's my only option besides ebay. Zero luck finding anyone going.

I have two not great ideas.

1.  I have no idea if it'll work, but if you know how much something costs, and how much you're willing to pay, you can try posting in the WTB threads here.  

2.  Additionally, you can maybe do a search through 'sales threads' on these forums to see who has gone to SDCC in the past and sold exclusives, and then potentially message those people and see if they can help out.

On 7/12/2022 at 6:19 AM, I like pie said:

I'm getting a lot of suggestions to try whatnot. Looks like that's my only option besides ebay. Zero luck finding anyone going.

have you posted in the SDCC events thread?

one thing to keep in mind, my experience from going is that some of the items require a lot of time waiting in line, that leads to potentially missing out on other items. That might be a reason why some are hesitant to try and pick up something you are looking for. it just maybe cheaper (airfare, hotel, badge, time costs) to just overpay on ebay or other avenues

On 7/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, jsilverjanet said:

have you posted in the SDCC events thread?

one thing to keep in mind, my experience from going is that some of the items require a lot of time waiting in line, that leads to potentially missing out on other items. That might be a reason why some are hesitant to try and pick up something you are looking for. it just maybe cheaper (airfare, hotel, badge, time costs) to just overpay on ebay or other avenues

I could only find SS threads about SDCC. It's probably best to just wait it out. Con variants don't usually have legs. I was just surprised all my contacts were skipping.

On 7/12/2022 at 5:10 PM, I like pie said:

I could only find SS threads about SDCC. It's probably best to just wait it out. Con variants don't usually have legs. I was just surprised all my contacts were skipping.

theres a gluttony of shows right now and air travel is very expensive

I will be attending SDCC for the first time in about 15 years. I was already disappointed with the actual comics getting crowded out 15 years ago so I guess I need to set my expectations low. I was happy to see several independent artists I follow on the exhibitor list so it won't be a total loss. Message me OP with your list and I'll see what I can do. I'll happily pick up some books for you if it's not a matter of waiting in line for hours or participating in some kind of ridiculous ticket lottery.

Unfortunately I think the comicons I remember so well from the 90s are gone and will never return.