• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this book trimmed or is it a manufacturing defect? - UPDATE 9/14/22 - Received grade back from CGC.

18 posts in this topic

The first time I looked at it, I thought, , this book has been trimmed. The more I look at it the more uncertain I become and maybe it is a manufacturing error. If it's not trimmed and I submit to CGC what are the odds of it getting a blue label? 

Thanks to all who reply. 

20220709_220057.jpg

20220709_220045.jpg

20220709_220043.jpg

20220709_220028.jpg

20220709_220013.jpg

20220709_220007.jpg

Edited by O Doyle Rules

I'm guessing it's manufacturing. Its the entire book that's miscut.  Try measuring the book to see if it's the proper size.  Also, how does the edge look? Is very sharp? Or does it look aged as you would expect an 80 year old book to look? 

If someone trimmed the entire thing, I imagine there would be evidence of it. A jagged edge. Miscut lines.... 

Without having it in front of me, I would bet it is just a manufacturing issue/miscut.  There's a good bit of extra comic judging by the interior pages at the bottom.  The cover looks like the same issue at the bottom. I'm attaching a picture of a regularly cut CMjr #73 to use for reference. To be sure, you'll need an expert to check the book personally.  Measuring helps, but there are variations in sizing; so not a true indicator. 

CaptMarveJr73.jpg

On 7/10/2022 at 3:15 PM, KirbyTown said:

Have you tried posting in the comic book grading and restoration area? If not, I hope they can help! 😀

I am still learning my way around all the different forums since I just have recently been posting. This, I guess, is why this has been my default chat board. Are there moderators that can move this post there? 

On 7/10/2022 at 3:52 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

I am still learning my way around all the different forums since I just have recently been posting. This, I guess, is why this has been my default chat board. Are there moderators that can move this post there? 

I wouldn't worry about it. You can repost there and it might get some more eyes on it from people here are really good. 

@The Lions Den

Is someone who is very good at these types of questions. 

On 7/10/2022 at 3:57 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

Does this get a blue label if it deemed it was miscut?

Generally speaking, a miscut book with no other serious issues would still get a blue label. 

And when trying to determine the origin of specific problems, it's often wise to keep in mind when the book was manufactured. Golden Age books, in particular, can have some interesting flaws...including miscuts. 

This is a book I'd consider sending to CGC, providing you're willing to wait a while for the results and you don't mind rolling the dice. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck...  

On 7/10/2022 at 2:23 PM, O Doyle Rules said:

The first time I looked at it, I thought, , this book has been trimmed. The more I look at it the more uncertain I become and maybe it is a manufacturing error. If it's not trimmed and I submit to CGC what are the odds of it getting a blue label? 

You didn't mention whether your intent is to keep the comic as part of your collection or sell it soon.  If the former, then there's no compelling reason to pay the funds and wait the long turnaround times to have the book graded and encapsulated.  You could store it with archival quality in a mylar bag and an acid-free backing board (a 'full back'), in which it will not only look great, but you can look through it and read it at any time.

As far as the odds of a GA comic getting a blue label, who can say?  :grin:  Besides looking for trimming, color touch is another common restoration step, and can be searched for by going over the inside and outside of the front cover with a careful eye and, if possible, a blacklight.  Tear seals along the spine and edges are also something to look for, and can often be seen by their subtle color differences with the neighboring parts of the inside and outside covers.

Edited by namisgr

I do plan on keeping it. However, I was leaning towards grading it. I guess I just like the thought of having it protected. My thoughts are to be passing these books onto my heirs. If they are graded, it will be a lot easier for them to recognize what they have without a lot of research. On checking for other restoration, It's tough for me to look over these books with a careful eye through these old man eyes. LOL

Thanks to everyone who has responded! 

On 7/11/2022 at 6:34 AM, O Doyle Rules said:

I do plan on keeping it. However, I was leaning towards grading it. I guess I just like the thought of having it protected. My thoughts are to be passing these books onto my heirs. If they are graded, it will be a lot easier for them to recognize what they have without a lot of research. On checking for other restoration, It's tough for me to look over these books with a careful eye through these old man eyes. LOL

Thanks to everyone who has responded! 

Stick the book in a mylar and a fullback.  Take thirty seconds to write out what the book is, what it cost ,your grade for it,ect on an index cardand slide it into the mylar.

Fawcett, and Captain Marvel Jr.s have not been good investments for the last few decades. As I sell off my collection, the least profitable books ave been Fawcetts.  Where my Timelys are going for 5X-10X what I paid for them in the 90s, my Fawcetts saw maybe a twenty per cent rise in the same span. 

It's a pretty book, but the demand for these books is diminishing. There doesn't seem to be much new money going into Fawcetts, beyond a few classic covers.

On 7/11/2022 at 9:21 AM, shadroch said:

There doesn't seem to be much new money going into Fawcetts

You'd probably have to still be alive to have a nostalgia for the guy, and then Marvel got the trademark in the late 60s (?)

On 7/11/2022 at 10:21 AM, shadroch said:

Fawcett, and Captain Marvel Jr.s have not been good investments for the last few decades. As I sell off my collection, the least profitable books ave been Fawcetts.  Where my Timelys are going for 5X-10X what I paid for them in the 90s, my Fawcetts saw maybe a twenty per cent rise in the same span. 

It's a pretty book, but the demand for these books is diminishing. There doesn't seem to be much new money going into Fawcetts, beyond a few classic covers.

Call me crazy, but here's my logic.

People love Elvis. 

Elvis loved Captain Marvel Jr. 

People will love Captain Marvel Jr.

(Well at least I do and am looking to buy more Captain Marvel Jrs.) PM me if you have any to sell. 

Edited by O Doyle Rules