• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Williamson Star Wars strips in upcoming Hake's
2 2

29 posts in this topic

The Hake's catalog for the 7/26-27 auction showed up today and the Williamson SW strips are plastered all over the cover. They have been getting a HUGE push on CAF and by Bill in his daily emails (for which I am sure he is being well paid LOL) and I am sure the quasi-association with George Lucas (who owns the 1st 6 of this initial proposal) will drive demand for these, but I'm not sure how high. There is no doubt the strips are nice; they are definitely a much higher quality than Williamson's later work on the strip, plus they have the advantage of mirroring the movie both visually and verbally. I'm going to go out on a limb and say these will crack $20,000 each, for all of the above reasons plus it will attract pure SW memorabilia bidders. Thoughts?

Edited by Guest

I talked to the auctioneers about this yesterday at SDCC. Likely one bidder going for all of them (great for consignor) but sad that a SW fan other than X won’t get a shot at ownership. 
  These are magnificent strips that should likely soar well beyond the conservative estimates.

On 7/24/2022 at 11:43 PM, cstojano said:

As strip art goes these are underwhelming and really technically unpublished, more like fan art.

What do you mean by “technically unpublished”? I don’t know a lot about these strips, so would be really like to get a better understanding. 

On 7/24/2022 at 7:23 PM, tth2 said:

Two of the mysteries I'd like to get answered some day is "Who consigns to Hake's" and "Why".

Hakes is sort of killing it with toy consignments, especially vintage Star Wars. So that makes sense. But in this case the consignor was quite public and vocal that HA did them wrong a number of years ago, something about posters consigned that were lost or never paid. So they are splitting the estate between Hakes and Prop Store. HA won't get their business. In the case of these strips I don't think it will make much difference on the venue. 

The real question is who makes this consignment choice? 

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/86/1247/documented-mauser-broomhandle-dl44-heavy-blaster-pistol-prop

On 7/25/2022 at 10:03 AM, cstojano said:

The real question is who makes this consignment choice? 

How long ago did it last sell, for how much and to who?

This could be a simple case of the House owner/interested party "paying" to add prestige to their own business.

All just a guess of course; the point being it's not always as simple as: a very serious collector (but ultimately dead) dude's disinterested clueless daughter dumped it into the local church bazaar.

Yes that does still happen but not as much as it used to. The ease of internet research ruined a lot of those opportunities :) 

On 7/25/2022 at 7:23 AM, vodou said:

How long ago did it last sell, for how much and to who?

This could be a simple case of the House owner/interested party "paying" to add prestige to their own business.

All just a guess of course; the point being it's not always as simple as: a very serious collector (but ultimately dead) dude's disinterested clueless daughter dumped it into the local church bazaar.

Yes that does still happen but not as much as it used to. The ease of internet research ruined a lot of those opportunities :) 

No clue. Something like this requires dedicated research on provenance, and I couldn't even make it through the auction listing wall of text ;)

Edited by cstojano

On 7/25/2022 at 6:40 PM, Bill C said:

I totally understand why someone knowledgeable about comic art would ask that, as the answer for selling seems to be Heritage in most cases.

But to play devil's advocate- if you don't know much about comic art and auction houses, and see their catalogues- they really are mind blowing as far as the variety of collectibles they have. Toys, sports memorabilia, political memorabilia, Star Wars, etc. I've seen a few of their catalogues and they are a fantastic resource (in fact, I think they put out a few hundred page collectibles book that I bought many years ago). I think they had a rocket firing Boba Fett in their last auction, and maybe another one coming up? That's always an impressive showcase piece for an auction.

Yeah, Hakes has had multiple high five figure and some six figure Star Wars items these last few years and has been seen as a great place for vintage Star Wars of all kinds (toys, prototypes, comics, art) so it doesn't shock me that these have been consigned there.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:23 PM, tth2 said:

Two of the mysteries I'd like to get answered some day is "Who consigns to Hake's" and "Why".

I have bought from Hakes multiple times.  My experience is the prices on things are about what they go for on Heritage.  I bought a Peanuts strip that went for about what I would have expected on Heritage.  Two other Peanuts strips in the same auction went for pretty strong prices.  I tried to snag some MPC monster figure in an auction and they went for crazy prices. 

I should also mention they auction stuff that is hard to find anyplace except eBay which is a crapshoot at best.

Edited by batman_fan

Well I did my part and placed a bid on one of the cheaper ones... got a snowball's chance in hell of getting it, I'm sure, considering 2 of the strips are over $35K (!) with an hour to go. Hope George Lucas has fun framing them...

After I lose I may just go and buy a Williamson Flash Gordon Union Carbide ad as a cheap consolation prize :roflmao:

Edited by Race