• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW POLL: To decide if we should add a rule to the Forum Marketplace
3 3

Poll to see if a new rule needs to be added to the Forum Marketplace  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should the rule listed below be added to the Marketplace area of the forum or is no new rule needed?

• Add a new rule that states all books listed for sale in the Forum Marketplace must be in the sellers possession.  The only exceptions would be for legitimate pre-orders, such as for signature series books.  Simply waiting for your graded books to arrive back from CGC does NOT qualify as a legitimate exception to this rule.
    • No new rule is needed to restrict sellers from listing books that are not in their possession. 

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/24/2022 at 02:00 PM

190 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2022 at 1:16 PM, Iceman399 said:

So we are adding a rule where it's never been an actual issue on the boards? 

Cool cool cool

impulsivity rules

Edited by Bird
BEWARE: this comment has multiple meanings

Maybe we can have buyers prepay before they even submit an offer? 

Maybe sellers can prepackaged all books so there are no delays in shipping? 

Maybe we can have sellers disclose what they paid for a book? 

Maybe we can have buyers tell sellers what the most they are willing to pay? 

Maybe all books have to be graded so no issues with raws? 

Maybe all books should be in new cases with no Newton rings? 

Maybe all sellers need to have 10 transactions before selling? 

:banana:

On 7/24/2022 at 4:26 PM, Iceman399 said:

Do you sell books that aren’t in hand?  Just trying to understand your concern :baiting:

On 7/24/2022 at 6:43 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Do you sell books that aren’t in hand?  Just trying to understand your concern :baiting:

The more rules we add the less sellers/buyers will be motivated to post. 

The more rules we add the more threads that will get yanked for not following the rules. 

The more the above happens the more the boards will become a shell of what it used to be. 

On 7/24/2022 at 6:57 PM, Iceman399 said:

The more rules we add the less sellers/buyers will be motivated to post. 

The more rules we add the more threads that will get yanked for not following the rules. 

The more the above happens the more the boards will become a shell of what it used to be. 

Let’s talk about this rule specifically.   Who’s impacted?  It definitely doesn’t impact buyers in a negative way.  Who are these sellers that are going to take their ball and go home?  

I see lots of criticism of this rule, but none from someone that it actually impacts. 

On 7/24/2022 at 7:11 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Let’s talk about this rule specifically.   Who’s impacted?  It definitely doesn’t impact buyers in a negative way.  Who are these sellers that are going to take their ball and go home?  

I see lots of criticism of this rule, but none from someone that it actually impacts. 

I've yet to see any reason why this rule should even be put in place. We haven't had an issue so we are legit adding a rule just to add a rule. 

This rule will impact Roy. He sells a whack of books on their way back from cgc. Right or wrongly this will impact him. Has he had any issues in doing so? Nope. 

The majority who voted have decided they want this rule added to the marketplace.....by a pretty wide margin.

If someone is unhappy with this rule....

On 7/20/2022 at 7:46 PM, CGC Mike said:

Also, if people are unhappy with this new rule (if it gets added) A new poll can be made to change it.  Maybe the majority would rather the seller has to disclose if the book is not in their possession, instead of a rule stating no books can be sold if it's not in the possession of the seller.   In the end, I want forum members to decide which rules should be in place. 

On 7/24/2022 at 7:28 PM, Iceman399 said:

I've yet to see any reason why this rule should even be put in place. We haven't had an issue so we are legit adding a rule just to add a rule. 

This rule will impact Roy. He sells a whack of books on their way back from cgc. Right or wrongly this will impact him. Has he had any issues in doing so? Nope. 

I don’t want more rules at all.  I just haven’t heard a good reason why this isn’t already one. 

As for Roy, why can’t he wait til the books arrive and he has a chance to inspect them?

I’m not at all concerned about impacting those that insist on pimping their wares as soon as they know the grades.  I’d be happy to see the “on their way back from CGC” posts disappear. (shrug)

CGC is having a QC crisis.  Seems like due diligence to inspect the books before offering them for sale here.

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 7/24/2022 at 4:26 PM, Iceman399 said:

start 7 polls

On 7/24/2022 at 7:30 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I don’t think 91 votes is enough to make this poll significant. At least not to the point that this rule should now be added.

@CGC Mike

As I mentioned earlier in the thread....I've never seen a poll conducted on the forums that needed a specific turnout to be considered valid.  The poll was open to all forum members.  It was posted in the busiest section of the forums.  It ran for a full week.  And, I made sure it stayed on page one for the duration. 

You can't make people vote.

By choosing not to vote....those members are choosing for others to make the choice for them.

But, then again, whether it's added or not isn't going to affect me in the slightest.  I just know what I won't be doing again if the results can just be thrown out.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/24/2022 at 9:36 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I just know what I won't be doing again if the results can just be thrown out.

My bad. I thought you had zero interest in ever running another forum poll....:sorry:

• Administrator
On 7/24/2022 at 9:36 PM, Domo Arigato said:

But, then again, whether it's added or not isn't going to affect me in the slightest.  I just know what I won't be doing again if the results can just be thrown out.

I never said I was going to throw it out.  I was just interested in hearing  few more comments before I made this a new rule.  I'll visit this thread again in the morning.  

On 7/24/2022 at 8:57 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

My bad. I thought you had zero interest in ever running another forum poll....:sorry:

It would just be one more reason to add to the list.

But, my bad.  I though you said people selling books on the way back from CGC makes you crazy and it's a major pet peeve of yours. (shrug)

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 7/24/2022 at 10:02 PM, Domo Arigato said:

It would just be one more reason to add to the list.

But, my bad.  I though you said people selling books on the way back from CGC makes you crazy and it's a major pet peeve of yours. (shrug)

It is.  

On 7/24/2022 at 7:48 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I don’t want more rules at all.  I just haven’t heard a good reason why this isn’t already one. 

As for Roy, why can’t he wait til the books arrive and he has a chance to inspect them?

I’m not at all concerned about impacting those that insist on pimping their wares as soon as they know the grades.  I’d be happy to see the “on their way back from CGC” posts disappear. (shrug)

CGC is having a QC crisis.  Seems like due diligence to inspect the books before offering them for sale here.

I've yet to see a reason why we need this rule. 

We have legit not had an issue with this. Why make something that hasn't had an issue a rule? 

Roy was just one single person off the top of my head. We have all kinds of consignment items both in hand and access to. If I'm willing to stick my neck out for my consignor and offer their book on the boards without in my hands why can't I?  If my consignor wants to pull the rug they can but my necks on the line to make it up to the boardie. It's no different than if I say yes to an offer for a consignor book and in the morning they have changed their mind. I likely haven't been paid for the book or shipped it and they could be waiting first thing in the morning to take it back. 

If this rule had merit I'd be all for it (ie it's been a huge issue on the boards). If we want to put real rules in place let's target things that are actually issues like non paying buyers etc.